Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this game, I do not want any spoilers about the story line. I was wondering if after you finish the 11 chapters this game provides if you still want to replay it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
In my case...no. The dice rolling mechanic is so repetitive and the decisions so obvious that once I completed the story, I had no desire to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'd replay the main game again... but the expansions!!!! Just watch an unboxing for downwood tales... then there are a few other smaller PNP's that are supposedly great (haven't played them mahself) I don't know if we would want to restart as we are so happy with the stories we have told with our mice... you carry over some items and all your abilities between chapters and even between expansions if you want to! In doing so you really become those mice you use, my wife knows not to touch Maginos or Collin when choosing characters angry and Tilda and Filch are all hers Heart of Glorm is where my wife and I are right now and it's been worth every penny!!! In conclusion I wouldn't replay but there is enough content to play for a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letmebefree wrote:
I don't know if I'd replay the main game again... but the expansions!!!! Just watch an unboxing for downwood tales... then there are a few other smaller PNP's that are supposedly great (haven't played them mahself) I don't know if we would want to restart as we are so happy with the stories we have told with our mice... you carry over some items and all your abilities between chapters and even between expansions if you want to! In doing so you really become those mice you use, my wife knows not to touch Maginos or Collin when choosing characters angry and Tilda and Filch are all hers Heart of Glorm is where my wife and I are right now and it's been worth every penny!!! In conclusion I wouldn't replay but there is enough content to play for a while

Thank you. I am considering picking it up for my girlfriend and I to play together. She is not a big gamer or anything, but she likes cooperative play and this looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that there is a LOT of dice rolling in the game. Some of it can be reduced, but a lot of it cannot. The story is pretty good, but you probably won't replay anything except to beat a scenario or maybe try a different strategy. There are expansions, though, and if you like the story they definitely build on it.

If you have a chance to try before buying, I'd recommend that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
On the other hand, I have played, teaching newbies, the first scenario a half dozen times, and it was always entertaining. Different players with different characters are more important than a different scenario or rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Mike, I've taught the 1st chapter many times to new players and I enjoyed it each time. I've played through the base set and then through both the Heart of Glorm and Downwood Tales expansions when I playtested them. They certainly add a lot more to the game, especially Downwood Tales, as it adds a full set of new tiles, some new heroes that aren't mice and a lot of great minions.

In the base set, you'll see a couple different types of roaches, a couple different types of rats, spiders, centipedes and a cat. Heart of Glorm expansion adds a new hero and new bad guy boss, as well as cards and stuff to make the minions from the first set different yet. But when you get to Downwood Tales, it not only offers 3 new heroes, but a lot of cool new minion types that will add to the minion variety overall.

The story aspect of the game will be done after the first play as far as replayability goes because you've already read it and it doesn't change. What can change though is the different mice you bring for a chapter (though sometimes you have to bring specific ones), but also the different abilities you may choose to start with. Also, there are a ton of items to be found in the search deck and you can play a chapter several times and end up with different items you find each time you play it.

Sure there is a lot of dice rolling, but like a lot games with combat, you will be rolling dice to attack and defend. You have to roll for movement, as you have a base move plus modified by the die roll, but with certain exceptions, you can skip rolling for move if you only want to move your base movement.

Everyone's taste is different, so do your research and if it seems like it would be fun for you, then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
Just be aware that there is a LOT of dice rolling in the game. Some of it can be reduced, but a lot of it cannot.

Wait. There are people who don't like rolling dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times do you need to play a game to feel you got a good value from it? For Mice and Mystics, consider that if you complete the story without ever losing, you'll have played the game 11 times. Then consider that you're likely to lose at least some of the time you play and then would perhaps want to replay the level to try and complete it. Even if you only lose half the time, you're looking at 16-17 plays.

Whether that's a good value or not depends on you, but I feel that for many games bought these days, they don't often get to 11 plays. And that's all without even having to consider whether you'd want to replay the chapter from the start, perhaps using different characters and/or different abilities, or trying a different path on the chapters that offer more than one.

In the end, the core combat mechanism might grow tiresome. But if you've played through the game 15-20 times in the process... Perhaps a decent value regardless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
paschott wrote:
Just be aware that there is a LOT of dice rolling in the game. Some of it can be reduced, but a lot of it cannot.

Wait. There are people who don't like rolling dice?

We call them heretics. And we burn them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McIntyre
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been running 2 campaigns with this, one solo and the other with my kids so I've played at least half the chapters twice and they're still fun on subsequent playthroughs.
It's one of those games that you could create your own new chapters, or maybe there are some on BGG but I haven't checked yet.
It's the story that unfolds in the imagination and on the board that make this game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I have played through the base game three times, Heart of Glorm twice, and we are on our first playthrough of Downwood tales. We have enjoyed it each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the difficulty of the game.

You may not have a choice in replaying chapters. Especially Chapter 1 as that one is notorious for wiping out groups as you learn the ins and outs of the game. So you can easily end up replaying chapters, possibly more than once.

Overall the question cannot be answered by us. Only you.

Do you like to re-read a book or re-watch a movie?

Have you ever played a Fighting Fantasy style gamebook and then replayed to see what different choices might get you?

If the answer is "No" then no, this game is not one you would like as for you then it has no replay value.

There are expansions and extra adventures to take the story onwards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
I was wondering if after you finish the 11 chapters this game provides if you still want to replay it. Thanks.

I'm considering this game as well. Another question: how long does it take to play through those included 11 chapters?? I'm a bit confused by the games "120 minute" playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Per chapter. So total play time for the base game could be anywhere from 11 hours to 22 or anything in between or even over or under that.

As you get the hang of the game it starts to really flow. Focus on the basics and dont worry about the situational rules till they pop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
Omega2064 wrote:
So total play time for the base game could be anywhere from 11 hours to 22 or anything in between or even over or under that.

Perfect. I was assuming that, but wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.