49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game: Shades of Tezla Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Realistically, how soon for a second reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon A.
msg tools
I know there is no guarantee that they will fix the problems in the second run or that there will even be one. That being said, what is the hypothetical time frame for a second printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I suspect that if enough people wait for one, there won't be one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Realistically, if you want to play it you're probably going to have to buy this printing. Even if they do a second one you're going to lose years of play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
We, as fans, should NOT buy the current expansion it is.

I will tell you why: WizKids is still, at its core, a company with an econamical standpoint. Meaning: If people buy it, it's not broken. If it ain't broke, it need no fixing.

Therefor: I will NOT support this expansion until they fixed the current known issues with this game and neither should any fan. We should not tolerate this kind of sloppy work for our games. We wouldn't accept it with our food at a restaurant or our bed at a hotel, so we shouldn't accept it for our tokens and whatnot from a simple game!

Get your act togeter, WizKids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Realistically, if you want to play it you're probably going to have to buy this printing. Even if they do a second one you're going to lose years of play time.

No, I realistically do not have to purchase a copy from this printing, and I am rather tired of hearing from others that my only choice is to support the expansion as is. I do not have to.

I didn't say you have to purchase it. I said if you want to play it you do. That's not the same thing. Whether you're tired of hearing it or not, simply put: it's not reasonable to assume that it's going to be reprinted if people are not buying it on component issue grounds. And even if it is there's no indication that they'd change anything anyway. So while I appreciate your opinion, there's a certain amount of lack of choice here on it and that's really all there is to say.

Though I will backstep a little bit. You DO also have the choice to mock up a copy and use proxy components for the new tokens, sites, and character since all information from the expansion is out there now. That's certainly an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:

.....I realistically do not have to purchase a copy from this printing

.......the time frame will likely be 2-3 years.

.... Then dont.
.... Thats you answering your question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
To actually address the original question rather than turning this into the twenty-seventh thread about the above argument...

Omphaloskeptic wrote:
I know there is no guarantee that they will fix the problems in the second run or that there will even be one. That being said, what is the hypothetical time frame for a second printing?
Krang was released in fall 2013, ran out of stock around winter 2015, and there's no clear reprint in sight. And Krang was well-received and well-purchased by the fan base.

So I'd say earliest possible would be two years. And that assumes that it sells like Krang or better. And that WizKids doesn't wash their hands of Mage Knight expansions entirely.

(And I'd say it's a slim chance that a reprint makes any improvements to the components.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Krang was released in fall 2013, ran out of stock around winter 2015, and there's no clear reprint in sight. And Krang was well-received and well-purchased by the fan base.

So I'd say earliest possible would be two years. And that assumes that it sells like Krang or better. And that WizKids doesn't wash their hands of Mage Knight expansions entirely.

(And I'd say it's a slim chance that a reprint makes any improvements to the components.)
Well, we don't know if they produced the same number of copies of these two expansions.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a new version any soon. And, given that even the fourth? version of the original game still has the artifact issues, I wouldn't expect a corrected version anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Why do you think that there is a slim chance? Subsequent printings of the base game and LL seemed to improve upon them.
Well, I should say a slim chance of dramatic improvement. It's possible that they fix one of the many things.

As for the base game and LL, there were some key gameplay-related fixes made following the first printing of the base game. They even released corrected tokens for first-printing owners.

I genuinely don't know of any improvements made after, what, 2011. Even obvious mistakes that should be pretty easy to fix have languished. (Cough coughartifacts cough.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Well, we don't know if they produced the same number of copies of these two expansions.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a new version any soon. And, given that even the fourth? version of the original game still has the artifact issues, I wouldn't expect a corrected version anytime.
Yeah, I'm just offering the data point we have. My own guess is 2017 at the earliest, with a chance of never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
Why do you think that there is a slim chance? Subsequent printings of the base game and LL seemed to improve upon them.
As far as I know, they corrected 4 or 5 things after the first edition of the base game (the ones that are replaced in the LL). However, they didn't correct the artifact issue; they didn't correct the different tile colors in LL; they didn't correct any incorrect / ambiguous sentence in the rulebook from LL (or LL card), etc.

So, my feeling is that they rarely correct their mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A reprint is highly unlikely, and even if they do (in 4 years) they certainly won't spend the man-hours to fix or upgrade the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Whether you're tired of hearing it or not, simply put: it's not reasonable to assume that it's going to be reprinted if people are not buying it on component issue grounds.

Because I choose not to buy it does not mean that others won't. Seems to be selling well enough that it is a reasonable gamble given my priorities. So then I ultimately disagree with your conclusion.

By the way, this is the type of thing that has been irking me. There is a sense that just because a select number of persons refuse to buy it as is, then Wizkids will not reprint it. Sorry, but this decision isn't contingent solely upon my decision to purchase it or not. The impact that I have is less than marginal.

True, you are only one person. But I've never seen this much valid complaining about a product before, AND it's the 3rd expansion for the game, both of which are often indicators of how likely it is to get reprinted. If the "select number" is NOT a trivial number, it DOES impact their decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Glez.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a reprint wouldn´t improve the components and correct the flaws in this expansion. Look at Lost Legion, further reprints haven´t corrected the different colored tiles problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only answer anyone can give to the OP right now is that no one knows when or if a reprint of this expansion will happen. All the factors for it happening, and past trends have been covered (in this thread and others), so I don't feel like I need to reiterate.

Bottom line: If you really want to play this expansion then buy it now and accept the faults. If you are looking for a perfect version, then it may or may not happen and no one can give you a time frame if it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Horsthuis
Netherlands
Olst
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine today.
I do not see a big issue in my box
Cards are exactly the size of other cards in base game and i do not see big difference in color
Tokens are somewhat smaller but I can live with it.
Manual is folded but stil usefull and how often do you use it, i dont care.
From the info on the forum i expected much worse
I would not wait for a reprint if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gertjan1968 wrote:
I got mine today.
I do not see a big issue in my box
Cards are exactly the size of other cards in base game and i do not see big difference in color
Tokens are somewhat smaller but I can live with it.
Manual is folded but stil usefull and how often do you use it, i dont care.
From the info on the forum i expected much worse
I would not wait for a reprint if you like the game.

To add on this, the cards themselves are definitely of a thinner card stock, but width and length are the same and sleeving solves the thinness issue completely.

The tokens are noticeably smaller...but, it's clear that this game uses these tokens for specific scenarios in the expansion, so being able to separate them easily may even have been an intended choice on Wizkids part.

Ultimately, with the exception of how the rule book was jammed into a box too small for it, everything else is not nearly as bad as the forums made it out to be. Even then, the rulebook can be easily flattened out, assuming it's not torn, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:

To add on this, the cards themselves are definitely of a thinner card stock, but width and length are the same and sleeving solves the thinness issue completely.

The tokens are noticeably smaller...but, it's clear that this game uses these tokens for specific scenarios in the expansion, so being able to separate them easily may even have been an intended choice on Wizkids part.

Ultimately, with the exception of how the rule book was jammed into a box too small for it, everything else is not nearly as bad as the forums made it out to be. Even then, the rulebook can be easily flattened out, assuming it's not torn, of course.

I have to agree with this. Now that I have actually played the expansion, I really do wonder if the different size tokens is intentional. I know I took advantage of the difference when I was sorting them out after a game. For all the scenarios in the expansion, you will have those tokens separate. If you want to use them in some of the other scenarios, then yeah you might have an issue, or want to use a bag. I am going to switch to bags anyway, so it simply won't be an issue for me.

For the cards, they are definitely different, thinner cardstock. If you sleeve, this won't be an issue at all. If you don't sleeve, then not sure what to say -- you will have an issue, but only when playing Brevealor.

The game-play of the expansion is a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
I have to agree with this. Now that I have actually played the expansion, I really do wonder if the different size tokens is intentional. I know I took advantage of the difference when I was sorting them out after a game. For all the scenarios in the expansion, you will have those tokens separate. If you want to use them in some of the other scenarios, then yeah you might have an issue, or want to use a bag. I am going to switch to bags anyway, so it simply won't be an issue for me.

I very much doubt that the difference is intentional.

For me personally, I have planned on mixing them into the old scenarios from the start just like Lost Legion's tokens, and until this size issue it never even occurred to me that this would be an issue. It seems like one of the best "up the variance" moves for the Volkare scenarios and for the basic conquest/coops would have been just adding the new tokens, and that you can't do it without modification is really quite disappointing. I'm doing it because the play is fun, but I disagree with anyone who minimizes the token difference because IMO it is THE most annoying issue in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were told in no uncertain terms by at least one of the designers that the tokens were meant to be able to be incorporated with all the others. I remember making a comment about whether the new faction rewards were play-tested against all the factionless tokens and was told that they were indeed play-tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Gulbis
Austria
Schneegattern
Oberoesterreich
flag msg tools
mb
I received my copy today.

As far as I am concerned I do not see a problem at all with any of the components... maybe I was just lucky?

The tokens are smaller but I use bags for my tokens. It doesn't really bother me at all.

The cards are thinner stock yes, but I sleeve everything in Ultra Pro sleeves which are quite study themselves, so I feel zero difference.

The rule book had SLIGHTLY folded edges, I've put it under a stack of books and it already looks better. But to be honest, I will read it a few times and then it will never come out the box.

All in all I am happy with the purchase, the forums made it sound like it was trash in a box which I don't believe it is.

My 2c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Vampirnata wrote:
All in all I am happy with the purchase, the forums made it sound like it was trash in a box which I don't believe it is.

The internet exaggerates. It always does.

To be sure, there ARE some issues, but the internet will always magnify them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
You don't see a problem? A difference in token size is unacceptable.

Obviously it's acceptable to him.

Quote:
I'm getting really tired of the responses that either a) defend the quality of the expansion, or b) tell me that I have no choice and should buy it anyway.

Yet, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if you are tired of other people's opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omphaloskeptic wrote:
I have already explained that the level of quality in this expansion is unacceptable. I do not need others telling me that I'm wrong.

The previous poster explained that he found the quality acceptable to him, although not ideal. You chimed in to tell him to stop saying that. Why does he need others telling him that he's wrong, if you don't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampirnata wrote:
I received my copy today.

As far as I am concerned I do not see a problem at all with any of the components... maybe I was just lucky?

The tokens are smaller but I use bags for my tokens. It doesn't really bother me at all.

The cards are thinner stock yes, but I sleeve everything in Ultra Pro sleeves which are quite study themselves, so I feel zero difference.

The rule book had SLIGHTLY folded edges, I've put it under a stack of books and it already looks better. But to be honest, I will read it a few times and then it will never come out the box.

My 2c.

Same here, received it yesterday, all seems to be fine. If I ever feel the need to mix those smaller tokens, I'll bag them in some nice colored bags I got. Big deal...

Cards are fine sleeved, which I usually do anyway.

Is it perfect: no. Is it as crappy as the boards make it seem to be: no way!

To the OP: after lots of reading, nobody knows if you'll ever get your hands on a new refurbished copy of this expansion. So I believe your only option is wait and see, since you clearly stated you are not happy with the current product. To your question: no one knows. So best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |