Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, I checked the marketplace data for this edition. (See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/pricehistory/thing/1...) After an initial flurry of marketplace transactions, it looks like not a single set has sold in over a month. As of the date of this post (Aug 13), the last sale was on July 7 in the UK and June 25 in the US. I'm curious how long this will hold before prices start coming down, if they ever do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that War of the Ring:Anniversary Ed emptied many collector's wallets... Or quenched their thirst temporarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think the prices will go down. If they do, it will be a temporary dip before they start to creep higher. There have been some inquiries in my area for the set. A particularly well-off individual stated that he would easily dish out the online asking prices if he saw one local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been wondering about this also. Hopefully the fact that i will paint my set prior to selling will help distinguish it. Will wait a few months as well due to the apathetic market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As an owner of WotR collectors, I have no interest in this especially due to the mini's not being painted. I would have no interest in painting mine and would think that resale would lower if done by someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrack wrote:
As an owner of WotR collectors, I have no interest in this especially due to the mini's not being painted. I would have no interest in painting mine and would think that resale would lower if done by someone else.

I agree that the use of unpainted minis is a BIG turn off, but for this set at least, it appears that sets with after-market painted minis are commanding a premium -- when a buyer can be found. Since this thread popped back into my notifications, I looked at the marketplace data. The last 2 sets were sold for $1500 (Sept. 3, 2015) and $777 (Nov. 28, 2015). The $1500 set was a fully painted one, and the $777 set was unpainted.

Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay too, and the last 2 sets there (unpainted) sold in the mid-$800s (including shipping). A recent auction for a fully painted set had a starting bid of $1399.99 but closed unsold with zero bids.

So, it looks like "market" for an unpainted set is now in the upper $700s to mid $800s range. Painted sets I guess are in the eye of the beholder for value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Shamelessly looking for a citizenship star!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a year or two. The market needs to sift through the glut of profiteers. Once these land in the hands of owners and they stop trading the price will be ridiculous. Even the lowly "$777.00" is almost 75% more than it sold for less than a year ago. These are very limited in numbers. This dip in price is natural with something that was selling for 200%+ more than MSRP within seconds after it went for sale to the public.

The game's proven popularity coupled with the undeniably over-produced quality of the components will eventually bounce creep up with supply and demand.

If you want a copy, this is a great time to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, though painted sets command premiums, a lot of people will still want unpainted sets. If nothing else, to have a buyer's specific and trusted artist to paint them in a more personal manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
It's worth mentioning that I believe due to the acquisition by Asmodee, Days of Wonder will no longer be issuing replacement parts. If you had a broken piece, hopefully you've requested your replacement items already as I doubt you'll be able to get any in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...I was unaware that DoW was sold. That's a shame as I had great respect for DoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls