Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me pick my next worker placement! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Arcia
msg tools
My group consists of 4 players. I already own stone age and kingsburg so nothing to heavy yet. I feel my group needs a heavier worker placement. So far i have been looking at Caverna and Le havre. Im looking for something around the 2 hour range for 4 players. What would be the next step after the lighter worker placement like kingsburg and stone age. Is Caverna and le havre to big of a jump? Should i look for a game in between?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is my favorite bridge WP game (between light and heavy).
Agricola - I like Agricola more than Caverna because of the tension (stress) with feeding. And I also like the brain burn created by the cards.
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - This is a great brain burn too, but for completely different reasons. It's all about multi-turning planning for perfect timing down the road. Super puzzly.
Dominant Species - This one is even heavier than those already mentioned. It can be brutal; it's a WP game created by a wargamer, and you can tell. Serious teeth here. And oh so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus

Some people complain that it's too dry, but I disagree. It's extremely tense and can be quite cut throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not straight for the throat with Caylus.
I guess Keyflower could be considered worker placement but there are other nifty mechanics in addition.
I think Dungeon Petz is a pretty cool game.
Spyrium doesn't get enough love but it's pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Forbes
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend:

Viticulture (especially once you add the Tuscany expansion)
Euphoria
The Ancient World
Last Will
Praetor
Rococo
Village

I haven't played Le Havre outside of the iOS app (not really a big fan, prefer something like Bruges to that) ... and Caverna is good but I'm not a big fan of the way the game is laid out for selecting actions. Completely personal preference though, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah W
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and Agricola are both good bets. I would lean slightly more toward Agricola since it has the family game that you can play first to get used to the game before adding in the cards.

Edit: Forgot about Village but that is also a great recommendation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle weight WP games.

Snowdonia
Viticulture
The Manhattan Project
Lancaster
Village

Played Village and like it a lot. Almost bought TMP but held off due to finances at the time. Viticulture keeps getting kicked around but the combined price tag for the base game and expansion is a bit much. Someday I swear I'll own Snowdonia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City: Big Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gab Pal
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
The best games ingeniously blend Euro and Ameritrash styles
badge
THE CAKE IS A LIE !!!
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia

+1 Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is not a difficult game to learn, play, and teach. In fact, it was the very first WP I ever played. I taught it to my friends, and they all picked it up rather quickly. Since you have experience with WP games, you should be able to get it up and running in no-time.

As others have mentioned, Agricola is more stressful in the sense that you have less freedom. It's tight, tense, and cutthroat. Caverna is stressful in a different sense...you can do everything, and because of that, what do you choose? It all looks so good! Therefore, if you want a tighter and more tense game, choose Agricola. If you like freedom, choose Caverna. Both are a good step up in complexity without being overly complex.

Also, I played Dominant Species for the first time today...holy moly that is an amazing game. Highly recommended, but it will be a 3 to 4 hour experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Manhattan Project, especially if you want a worker placement with more player interaction (conflict . . . light)! Great fun, multiple paths to victory, nice rubber banding (one piece of the rubber banding is a little obvious, but not obnoxious).

Get the Nations expansion, for sure . . . you can decide wether or not to get the Second Stage expansion for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Lancaster is worth looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Also, I played Dominant Species for the first time today...holy moly that is an amazing game. Highly recommended, but it will be a 3 to 4 hour experience.
Just to say - Dominant Species comes down to 2 hours once the whole group knows how to play; and plays up. And in my opinion 4player is the sweet spot. However - it is heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Spyrium, not that heavy in terms of hard to learn, but can definitly make a gamer's brain think.
Personally I really like Dungeon Lords. Quite a bit of rules, very thematic. Some players don't like the stressful aspects of the game (it way more often will punish players than rewarding them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy you say?

Madeira

Go on, skip the dull chaff in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you take a look at Keyflower. What Keyflower does is that it takes the basic (slightly boring) mechanic of worker placement and elevates it to a new level of awesome by adding tons of player interaction and tough decisions without removing the glee that comes from putting down some workers and gathering those resources.

Seriously. Get. Keyflower. Now. Or. Else. You. Don't. Get. It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Ragland
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
You have two Rosenberg games that you're eyeing. For most game groups, I recommend avoiding Caverna unless you've already played an earlier Rosenberg worker placement. Le Havre is excellent, and Agricola is a great middle-weight game. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased, as Rosenberg is one of my favorite game designers.

Worker Placement can be a broad category, though, so it's difficult to recommend anything without a little more knowledge about what you and your friends like. Nevertheless, I'll give it a go:

If you and your friends enjoy worker placement games for the problem solving and tension, get Agricola. It is (in my opinion) one of the most tense worker placement games; however, in Agricola, you never see much reward for the engine you build. I have noticed that for some players, this can be disparaging.

On the other hand, if you and your friends like to see their engines grow, and enjoy seeing whose engine produces the most, get Le Havre. It's not nearly as punishing as Agricola, but still has much of the same problem solving. It does have little player interaction, though (and so does Agricola).

Lastly, if you and your friends want to create something, interact with one another, and (have many chances to) screw each other over, get Carson City. Although I am biased toward Rosenberg games, I must admit that Carson City is my favorite worker-placement game that I've played. It has many of the dynamics I like about Rosenberg games, with far more interaction. That being said, it is the heaviest of the three I just suggested, so it might not be a good transition for your group. Also, it is not inherently as good a puzzle as the Rosenberg games. What I mean is that the problem-solving aspect of the game is going to be much more dependent on how well your friends play the game than the mechanics of the game itself.

There are plenty of worker-placement games available that are well designed. Ultimately, you know your group--and to what they're willing to commit--better than anyone here. Do your research, don't worry about it too much, and you'll be fine. Everyone's going to buy a flop game at some point. It's not the worst thing that can happen. Sometimes you need a bad game to realize what you like about certain ones and dislike about others.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Brew Crafters? An excellent worker placement game with a great theme. One of the favorite's in our group and my favourite worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like to recommend Archon: Glory & Machination when it comes to worker placement. Pretty straightforward game with the twist that you can have specialized workers that give you certain benefits when you use them.

Alchemists is also an amazing game. If you like deduction you will get a superb worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
In this order:
+1 Caylus
Caverna
Le Havre

With 4 players, Caylus might take about 2 hours, possibly a little longer.

Caverna and Le Havre probably will take longer than 2 hours, maybe even 3 hours.

If it's not out of print, Pillars of the Earth is not as heavy and can be played in 2 hours.

If you don't have the Kingsburg expansion yet, consider getting it. It adds a lot to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
Viticulture Second edition
Last Will
And perhaps Myrmes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Viticulture a few days ago and it was fantastic! It was about an hour and a half long.

It's a little bit more complex than Stone Age, but not overwhelmingly complex. I really enjoyed it, and the theme comes through really nicely.

That's my recommendation, though I'm also looking to play a bunch of other worker placement games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture for sure! Also Le Havre. I haven't played many of those mentioned, or at least not enough to pass on a recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls