Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the rules are written with a philosophy of 'read what is said', not what you think is said. Please confirm this is correct:

- It is possible to place Clandestine Networks (CN) in any country or colony without restriction (7.11)
- Placing Political Alignment (PA) markers mandates a CN is already there. Global issues may impose other restrictions.
- The advance of a front removes one CN from each country or colony attached to the (former) front line (7.13)

Reading what is said:
- The advance of the front line does NOT affect PA markers? (Although loss of the CN sets up for a change of PA next turn.)
- It is fully legitimate to add a CN and PA to a country or colony that is in front of the front line and still in Axis territory.
- The position of the front line has no other effect on the game.

Example: The Soviet front is at the Don River. Roosevelt can place a CN and then PA marker in Bulgaria. When the Soviet front reaches the Ukraine Prussia the American CN marker is lost but the Bulgarian government remains pro-USA.

[Edited to clarify behind the front, see below]

(Great game BTW. Straightforward & clear rules in the main, and I'm enjoying immensely pondering the strategies.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand your question, everything you wrote is correct. (with the obvious caveat that US/ UK Fronts remove one Soviet CN marker, and Soviet Front similarly affects UK/ US CN markers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamster007 wrote:

- It is possible to place Clandestine Networks (CN) in any country or colony without restriction (7.11)

- Placing Political Alignment (PA) markers mandates a CN is already there. Global issues may impose other restrictions.

Correct.

Hamster007 wrote:

- The advance of a front removes one CN from each country or colony attached to the front line (7.13)

Not quite. Only markers of the "other team" are removed (USSR vs. UK/USA)

Hamster007 wrote:

Reading what is said:
- The advance of the front line does NOT affect PA markers? (Although loss of the CN sets up for a change of PA next turn.)
- It is fully legitimate to add a CN and PA to a country or colony that is in front of the front line and still in Axis territory.

Correct.

Hamster007 wrote:

- The position of the front line has no other effect on the game.

Well.. Apart from the VPs and the surrender of the axis.... But yes, not regarding Pol or CN placement.

Hamster007 wrote:

Example: The Soviet front is at the Don River. Roosevelt can place a CN and then PA marker in Bulgaria. When the Soviet front reaches the Ukraine the American CN marker is lost but the Bulgarian government remains pro-USA.

Correct, but due to the CN marker being removed, the pol marker is now more vulnerable.

Hamster007 wrote:

(Great game BTW. Straightforward & clear rules in the main, and I'm enjoying immensely pondering the strategies.)

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar question that I still find confusing after reading 7.1:

Can any player still place clandestine markers behind a front on their turn? Is this restricted to only the front nationality? Or can no one implying they can only place clandestine markers ahead of a front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j-berman wrote:

Can any player still place clandestine markers behind a front on their turn?

yes.

j-berman wrote:

Is this restricted to only the front nationality?

no

j-berman wrote:

Or can no one implying they can only place clandestine markers ahead of a front.

No

Why would you think so/ be confused by 7.1? The rules say nothing about any restrictions apart from max 2 clandestine markers in a country/colony and only from 1 nation (UK, USA, USSR). These are the only restrictions when placing CN markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Soulie
France
Angoulême
Charente
flag msg tools
j-berman wrote:

Can any player still place clandestine markers behind a front on their turn? Is this restricted to only the front nationality? Or can no one implying they can only place clandestine markers ahead of a front.
Yes they can. The only restrictions come from Global Issues, not Frontlines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wondgamb wrote:
j-berman wrote:

Yes they can. The only restrictions come from Global Issues, not Frontlines.

Actually, the global issues don't restrict CN markers. Only political markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:

Why would you think so/ be confused by 7.1? The rules say nothing about any restrictions apart from max 2 clandestine markers in a country/colony and only from 1 nation (UK, USA, USSR). These are the only restrictions when placing CN markers.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Perhaps I was just reading too much into this -- not uncommon for me.

My concern stems from the removal of clandestine markers of "opposing" players when a front marker advances. Thematically, this made me wonder if the intent was to restrict all clandestine activity after a front advanced. In this same vein, I suppose this means players can continue to rebuild clandestine markers on fronts advancements that removed them (after the next conference).

Excellent game. Played the training scenario twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamster007 wrote:
Example: The Soviet front is at the Don River. Roosevelt can place a CN and then PA marker in Bulgaria. When the Soviet front reaches the Ukraine the American CN marker is lost but the Bulgarian government remains pro-USA.

I don't think your example is quite right. It is contradicted by the example in 7.13. The American CN marker isn't removed until the Soviet front gets to Prussia thereby placing Bulgaria behind the front rather than at the front.

Here's the rule for reference:
Rule 7.13 wrote:
7.13 Front Effects on Clandestine Networks where a Front marker is located is known as the Frontline. All countries or colonies connected to that space are said to be ‘on the Frontline’. When a Front advances toward an Axis country beyond a space, all of the country or colony spaces connected to that Front space are now permanently ‘behind the front’.

When the advance of a US or UK Front newly puts countries or colonies with Soviet Clandestine Networks ‘behind the front’, one Soviet Clandestine Network is removed from each newly qualifying country/colony. This only occurs once per country/colony.

When the advance of a Soviet Front newly puts countries with US or UK Clandestine Networks ‘behind the front’, one US/UK Clandestine Network is removed from each newly qualifying country. This only occurs once per country.

PLAY NOTE: This is why it sometimes makes sense to have two Clandestine Networks present in a country/colony that is likely to find itself behind an opponent’s Front at some point during the game.

EXAMPLE: The Soviet Front advances from the Ukraine to Prussia. The US and UK immediately remove one of their Clandestine Networks, if present, from each of the Baltic States, Poland, Rumania, and Bulgaria country spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, nice pick up on the behind the front. Will correct the example above

Thumb up