Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our second session yesterday evening with 2 players.
Basically, we are now conviced that the game is kinda "broken" for 2 as it is only a "who has the biggest and more powerfull army ?" race
As this isan obvious way to strengthen your positions while weakening your opponent, we also thought some of the civs were at some disadvantage: what could you possibly benefit from playing Russia in 2p game where you know your opponent will go strong into military and will probably kill your units you were sending to steal techs ?
Do you also have this concern ?
have you ever be able to gain with a no-military condition ?

Help me like this game with 2p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-player game tends to have a very strong military component, because there is no third party that gains from two players weakening each other. An attack makes sense as soon as it hurts the target at least as much as you.

That being said, I have had plenty of two-player games end on other conditions. But they usually do so because the military situation was relatively even. If a player is able to dominate the military game, he is likely to win. However, if someone goes for military without managing to dominate, the other player is likely to have an advantage in other areas.

So, military will always be an important aspect of the two-player game. You need to either have enough military to dominate your opponent, or have enough military to keep him at bay while you gain a head start on another strategy.

I have not yet played russia in i two-player game, but I imagine my approach would be the same: Either use my extra soldier to gain a military lead, or threaten him enough that I could start another engine before he gained the strength to get to me. Either way, the tech-steal would most likely be something I threatened with, rather than something I aimed to actually execute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have not yet played russia in i two-player game, but I imagine my approach would be the same: Either use my extra soldier to gain a military lead, or threaten him enough that I could start another engine before he gained the strength to get to me. Either way, the tech-steal would most likely be something I threatened with, rather than something I aimed to actually execute.

So you just make it harder to go with tech victory.
By nature, RUssia is not very good for culture wins and while I can see how to economic win I think there are better civ to do it.
SOunds like a great challenge ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia is weak in a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Russia is weak in a 2 player game.

I second that
I think the best civs for two players are those who have a power not linked to a military power but those who grant you extra benefit, for instance chinese or romans who will grant you culture cards quite easily.

I do not speak about expansions as I still have to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia is stronger with the W&W expansion since they changed communism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also see that their power will be more efficient in a 4p game.

Additional question
What is your favorite Civ for each player count and why ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been awhile since I've played, but I thought the rules mentioned something about discouraging military victories in a 2-player game. Whenever I played two player games, the only reason we focused on military was to defeat tribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But for instance if your opponent is Russia and send a military unit to steal a tech, what do you do ?

I would like to see this, as far as I remeber i did not notice sthg like that in the rules, have to check right now !
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Civilization Log. I log all my plays there along with many others. Click on the Submissions tab and scroll down to get a sense of how 2 player games end up. Can end with other victory conditions. (I wish we could filter the data.)
Take America as the first example. There are 3 2-player culture victories logged and 0 2-player warfare victories logged. It surely isn't conclusive but at least there's some data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArNdOESpLXrNdEl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia actually has 9 2-player military victories logged. Spain seems to have the most with 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I will check that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I love this game: 70+ games played. However only once with 2 players. In 2, I would rather play something else, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls