Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: therapy for kickstarter remorse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been a little disappointed when I realized I had missed out on the opportunity to order the collectors edition. Now it seems to have fallen a bit short of expectations, perhaps there's another way. I really just want some more durable components with a little flair. I've started working on my own set of wooden influence markers. I kicked around a few ideas for how to make them and finally settled on using a 1/2" square dowel and cutting it into tiles.

These blanks are turning out nice. My band saw is out of order so I started cutting them by hand with a small hack saw but quickly switched to a jigsaw to speed things up. Then I just sanded them quickly on some medium grit. I still have a whole other dowel to cut and sand then figure out how best to paint them. Hopefully these will not suck. Next I will want custom defcon, military ops etc. markers.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these custom markers deserve a song...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I got the look once my wife figured out what I was up to. We went out to dinner for our anniversary then stopped at Home Depot... she is very sweet.
14 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire the devotion...both to you for making these markers; and for your wife's devotion to you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option for people who want to have some wooden tokens, is buying some through Warbases.

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path...

They sell square bases in 2mm or 3mm thickness, from 15 x 15mm upwards. The 15mm should match the 5/8" token pretty well.

Then you'd need to get a scan of the counter sheet or quickly make up your own images, then print them to a sticker sheet.

It's something I've done for a couple of other GMT games, only getting an enlarged poster for the map, and then using larger sized tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That would save a lot of sawing and sanding. But its too late, must stay the course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished cutting and sanding today. I have over 300 little squares and my fingers hurt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is baller. I am planning to just sticker one side of my CE influence markers or buy a counter sheet and glue the counters to one side of the blocks . . . Or just use my deluxe edition counters.

I am annoyed by the decisions GMT made but now I'm starting to feel bad for them since it has been a hard rain on them since the announcement. I am sad but don't find any bad faith on their part.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glorfindel De Rivendel
msg tools
positivelyrob wrote:
This is baller. I am planning to just sticker one side of my CE influence markers or buy a counter sheet and glue the counters to one side of the blocks . . . Or just use my deluxe edition counters.

I am annoyed by the decisions GMT made but now I'm starting to feel bad for them since it has been a hard rain on them since the announcement. I am sad but don't find any bad faith on their part.


I am sorry to say that stickers are not a solution. Apparently the influence markers are indeed double sided and embossed with another number on the back side. So if you use stickers you will cover some numbers and you will lose half of the markers in some way. You will have solved one problem to create a new one. By using stickers you get uncontrolled influence backsides but at the same time you will be giving cause for a lack of controlled influence sides because in CE there is physically speaking half of the markers in relation to the deluxe edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar daros
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, the new wooden tokens are a disappointment to me. I like the light-weight ease and feel of the cardboard pieces much better. Besides, I have my TS board mounted and framed behind plexi-glass. I can see getting scratch marks if wooden tokens were used! IMO
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asfaloth_glorfindel wrote:
positivelyrob wrote:
This is baller. I am planning to just sticker one side of my CE influence markers or buy a counter sheet and glue the counters to one side of the blocks . . . Or just use my deluxe edition counters.

I am annoyed by the decisions GMT made but now I'm starting to feel bad for them since it has been a hard rain on them since the announcement. I am sad but don't find any bad faith on their part.


I am sorry to say that stickers are not a solution. Apparently the influence markers are indeed double sided and embossed with another number on the back side. So if you use stickers you will be covering some numbers and losing half of the markers in some way. You will solve one problem to create another new one. You will have non-control influence markers but you will have a lack of control-markers because in CE there is physically speaking half of the tokens in relation to the deluxe edition.

angryangryangryangryangryangry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried using a square dowel to make pieces, and was unsatisfied with the results. I think next time I try something like this, I'll buy some low cost scabble sets, and repurpose the tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These work great if you need wooden tiles...

https://www.michaels.com/artminds-wood-alphabet-tiles/103529...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
I tried using a square dowel to make pieces, and was unsatisfied with the results. I think next time I try something like this, I'll buy some low cost scabble sets, and repurpose the tiles.
For sure they are a little difficult to work with. I'm not sure how these are going to end up, they will definitely have that home brew aesthetic. I should have something close to final looking soon though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
capadotia wrote:
These work great if you need wooden tiles...

https://www.michaels.com/artminds-wood-alphabet-tiles/103529...
I looked for something like this at hobby lobby but didn't find anything. those might be a little large but would probably be great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Scrabble-Tiles-100-Letters/dp/B001B4L8... is what I used for tokens for Up Front. Worked great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls