8 Posts

Alchemists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of resolving actions example in rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Burrows
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
At the top of page 9 of the English rulebook there is an example showing the turn order. It is a 4 player game (since there are 4 rows) but only 3 players have allocated resources. Green has cubes on row 1 but, oddly, Red is shown to have cubes on row 3 with Blue on 4.

I'm currently trying to get my head round the rules and this has thrown me somewhat as I cannot see how this scenario could occur. Surely Red (as the next player after Green to allocate resources to that action space) should be on row 2?? Yes, players can choose to decline their action and remove their cubes but if Yellow had already done that Green would have already played his first turn and removed his first cube from the board.

I appreciate this is only an example and I should probably 'get over it' but as learning the rules is usually one of the more enjoyable parts of buying a relatively complicated game (since I can never persuade anyone to actually play the damn thing cry) I prefer to be at total peace with my understanding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You bid for turn order right?

Lets say your turnorder after placing your phiolas goes from top to bottom:

Red
Green
Blue
Yellow

Yellow then starts to place his worker cubes out. She does so to the bottom most row everywhere. So lets say we only look at the resource gathering spot, wich looks like this without cubes:

[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]

Yellow wants two ingredient, so she places two cubes in the bottom row:

[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[Y] [Y]

After placing all her other cubes it's blues turn to place. But he only wants one ingredient, so he only places one cube, in the second to last row on the left:

[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[B] [ ]
[Y] [Y]

After blue placed his other cubes greens turn arrives. But green is stacked with ingredients. So she doesn't want any. She places all her actions elsewhere and leaves both her allocated places on the ingedient collection space unoccupied:

[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]
[B] [ ]
[Y] [Y]

And then Red comes, who has been starving for ingredients. So he places two cubes at the very top of the gathering space:

[R] [R]
[ ] [ ]
[B] [ ]
[Y] [Y]

After red placed all his cubes we start going through all the spaces and give actions in turn. Remember to look for COLUMNS now. So the turns to gather ingredients go like this:

Red, Blue, Yellow, Red, Yellow.

Or on the scale:

[1.R] [5.R]
[2. ] [6. ]
[3.B] [7. ]
[4.Y] [8.Y]

On spaces like publishing or transmogrification you have to send two workhours to do it a second time instead of one. So to transmogrify to gold twice in a round you would need to allocate 3 working hour cubes instead of two like on the ingredient collection space.

I hope this clears your confusion, but if not, please pose further questions

Edit: Also, you don't remove your cubes from the board except when you forfeit an action and put them in the little forfeit box left of the turnorder scale. Actions that have been used stay on the board where you put them until the end of the round.

Yet you can still use spaces you forfeitet with the seven mile boots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Burrows
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comprehensive and rapid response.

I see that I missed the "Each player has their own row, corresponding to their position on the order spaces" line at the top of page 8!

Sigh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you can find people to play this awesome game with someday It really gets out your inner quack doctor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
DaveS wrote:
Edit: Also, you don't remove your cubes from the board except when you forfeit an action and put them in the little forfeit box left of the turnorder scale. Actions that have been used stay on the board where you put them until the end of the round.

Yet you can still use spaces you forfeit with the seven mile boots.

Eh? Why not remove the cubes as you resolve each action? It helps keep track of whose action is next during (e.g.) "Bob took the ingredient I was planning to take for exhibition, now I need to think for five minutes about whether any of the other ingredients can let me make a different plus/minus pair..."

You have to leave the one cube on the Sell Potion space until the sell space is done resolving, of course.

If it's just for the Boots, we haven't had any trouble remembering whether the Boots player had cubes on the action (and you note that sending cubes to the Unhappy Cube Zone means you can't rely on cube existence exclusively to determine Boots legality...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:

Eh? Why not remove the cubes as you resolve each action? It helps keep track of whose action is next during (e.g.) "Bob took the ingredient I was planning to take for exhibition, now I need to think for five minutes about whether any of the other ingredients can let me make a different plus/minus pair..."

I think i read it somewhere in the rules. But it doesn't matter either way I guess As long as you can remember if someone had actions on a place its good in both ways. We let them on the board but there is no downside of taking them away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We read the Boots card as, "after everyone has gone on that action." If green was placing actions last and had two on foraging in the top row, blue had one and red had two... Green wanted to use boots on foraging, cards would be taken in the following order:

G B R G R then G again because of Boots.

Then you'd move on to the next action.

We think?
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
We read the Boots card as, "after everyone has gone on that action." If green was placing actions last and had two on foraging in the top row, blue had one and red had two... Green wanted to use boots on foraging, cards would be taken in the following order:

G B R G R then G again because of Boots.

Then you'd move on to the next action.

We think?
M

That's how the Boots work - once per round, you get to take an action after all the cubes on it have been resolved, provided you had a cube on it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.