Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Jetwash and Esmeralda yesterday. A pal and I played two games with them, so we could each try both new ships and also both Set Up and Story cards. Here are some thoughts, pre-Kalidasa:

1. Jetwash slightly holds the edge over Esmeralda in general. However, original Firefly ships are still useful, as they have better stashes and one more ship upgrade slot! So we can't say that the Firefly IV is always better than the Firefly III, just a variant!

2. The Set Up and Story Cards are more important than either ship in both games. I wiped out in the first game, but the game using the Goal tokens located by initial job draw was tense and exciting. At one point I stole a Goal token away from my pal who was just a turn behind, and then got Wash's Hand Cannon, which suddenly (and unknowingly when purchased, but I just 'had a feeling!') then prevented his alternate plan to pirate me! Whew. Eventually we both had two tokens, but couldn't find a job located in the four remaining Goal planets to gain the final third one.

Finally, he got such a job. Searching through Harrow's job pile in vain--and then using my Ram Jets to burn out of Rim Space to get to Niska's job pile which was also dry for a turn--I found a Patience job which led far away and then back to her own planet, where there was a goal! But before I got to start this epic journey, my buddy performed a fairly easy (in terms of ground that had to be covered) Badger job and won. Which was ironic, since my other two jobs had been difficult Badger jobs. Lots of fun.

3. I love that most of the new Ship Upgrades have Supply Deck versions, which is partly why I got a second Dodger (the promo did not have the supply versions of its upgrades, which I now have).

So we now have ten ships to choose from here in Brooklyn, and even more important, lots of Set Up and Story cards to choose from. The new ones say they are either shorter or longer games for experienced players, which we found to be true.

Looking forward to Kalidasa next month, and the completion of 'Cycle I' of FTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.”
badge
“Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! In what way is Jetwash holding a slight edge over Esmeralda?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its really a matter of taste. Both ships have a new cool drive core. But where Esmeralda has extra passenger/fugitive bays and a better kitchen to undisgruntle crew faster, the Jetwash has two upgrades that have more immediate functions, even though both are one time use. Decoy Satellite Array allows you to ignore all Reaver/Alliance Nav Cards(treat as empty space cards) for your turn, and Ram Jets give you an extra fly action (a third action). Each also has a special power built into its ship board. On Esmeralda Fugitives cannot ber seized by the Alliance. On Jetwash, you can discard a Part to count as a Pilot!

Note that both have one fewer upgrade slot than a Firefly III! Their stashes only hold 6 Fuel! On the other hand, their cargo hold has 12 boxes instead of 9.

Both ships can be useful in different circumstances, but the Jetwash abilities are more dramatic and directly useful. In the Kalidasa environment, the Esmeralda may come into her own, and be better long term. We'll have to see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetwash also has one fewer crew as well.

As does Esmeralda, unless you do buy the upgrade at the beginning of the game (and really, why wouldn't you?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the most flexibility of use and you pick a Mechanic as a Leader then Jetwash is the more useful ship since you have a 'Pilot' on board as long as you have Parts to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Ram Jets give you an extra fly action (a third action).
Not quite - it lets you use another action as a Fly/Full Burn action, so you can Fly twice in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls