United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the French-Algerian conflict only in very broad outline. What reading can anyone recommend for more knowledge? History, documentaries, even fiction. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Algiers (film based on the book Souvenirs de la Bataille d'Alger by Saadi Yacef) shows the story of an Algerian terrorist/patriot, and was screened at the Pentagon in 2003 as a training film, showing "How to win a battle against terrorism and lose the war of ideas".

Day of the Jackal (film, with more detail in the book) by Frederick Forsyth explains how the Algerian War made the OAS want to assassinate President Charles de Gaulle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I just watched Intimate Enemies on Netflix. It started out promising, but then degenerated into heavy-handedness like most Hollywood treatments of Vietnam since Apocalypse Now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Intimate Enemies had promise, and it gets into a bit of the moral problems, but really Battle of Algiers remains the best.

Here is the "Readings" section of the playbook as it is now, showing the books and material I used:

Quote:
Selected Sources

Books and Chapters of Books

Asprey, Robert. War in the Shadows: The Guerrilla in History. New York: William Morrow and Company, 1994 revised edition.

Bethouart, Hilaire. “Combat Helicopters in Algeria”. In The Guerrilla and How to Fight Him: Selections from the Marine Corps Gazette, T.N. Greene, ed. New York: Praeger, 1962.

Boot, Max. Invisible Armies. New York: Liveright Publishing, 2013.

Burleigh, Michael. Small Wars, Faraway Places: The Genesis of the Modern World 1945-65. London: Macmillan, 2013.

Burton, Anthony. Urban Terrorism: Theory, Practice and Response. London: Leo Cooper Ltd., 1975.

De La Gorce, Paul-Marie. The French Army: A Military-Political History. New York: George Braziller, 1963.

Galula, David. Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice. New York: Frederick A. Praeger, 1964.

Galula, David. Pacification in Algeria, 1956-1958. Santa Monica: The RAND Corporation, 1963.

Heggoy, Alf Andrew. Insurgency and Counterinsurgency in Algeria. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1972.

Perville Guy. Atlas de la Guerre d’Algerie. Paris: Editions Autrement, 2003.

Horne, Alastair. A Savage War of Peace. New York: NYRB Classics revised edition, 2006.

O’ Ballance, Edgar. The Algerian Insurrection, 1954-1962. Hamden: Archon Books, 1967.

Porch, Douglas. “French Imperial Warfare 1945-62”. In Counterinsurgency in Modern Warfare, Daniel Marston, ed. Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2010.

Shrader, Charles. The First Helicopter War: Logistics and Mobility in Algeria, 1954-1962. Westport: Praeger Publishers, 1999.

Talbo-Bernigaud, Jean-Phillippe. “Steamroller in Kabylia”, in Guerrilla Strategies, Gerard Chaliand, ed. Berkeley, University of California Press, 1982.

Trinquier, Roger. Modern Warfare: A French View on Counter-Insurgency. New York: Frederick A. Praeger, 1964.

Windrow, Robert. The Algerian War 1954-62. Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 1997.

Windrow, Robert. French Foreign Legion Paratroops. Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 1985.

Magazine/ Journal Articles, Reports and Papers

Canuel, Hugues. “French Counterinsurgency in Algeria: Forgotten Lessons From a Misunderstood Conflict”. Small Wars Journal, 2010.

Elkhamri, Mounir et. al. “Urban Population Control in an Insurgency”. Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, 2005.

Goetzke, Karl. “A Review of the Algerian War of National Liberation Using the US Army’s Current Counterinsurgency Doctrine”. Strategy Research Project for Master of Strategic Studies, US Army War College, dated 18 March 2005.

Jackson, Peter. “French Ground Force Organizational Development for Counterrevolutionary Warfare between 1945 and 1962”. Thesis for Master of Military Art and Science, US Army Command and General Staff College, dated 15 June 2005.

Joslyn, Mike. “France’s Other War: Algeria”. CounterAttack #3. 1991.

Kanger, Kim. “Algerian Insurgency: End of the French Empire”. Strategy & Tactics #262 (May-June 2010).

Long, Austin et. al. “Locals Rule: Historical Lessons for Creating Local Defense Forces for Afghanistan and Beyond”. The RAND Corporation, 2012.

Melnik, Constantine. “The French Campaign Against the FLN”. The RAND Corporation, 1967.

Melnik, Constantine. “Insurgency and Counterinsurgency in Algeria”. The RAND Corporation, 1964.

Prados, John. “Colonial Twilight: The French War in Algeria”. Campaign #73 (May-June 1976).

Further Reading and Films: Non-reference works and films that you may enjoy for further background or atmosphere on the War.

Fiction and Memoirs

Larteguy, Jean. The Centurions (1963)
Larteguy, Jean. The Praetorians (1964)
Leuillette, Pierre. St. Michael and the Dragon: a Paratrooper in the Algerian War (1964). Also published as The War in Algeria: Memoirs of a Paratrooper.
Murray, Simon. Legionnaire (1978)
Morgan, Ted. My Battle of Algiers (2007)

Films

Hors La Loi (Outside The Law). Dir. Rachid Bouchareb. Perfs. Jamel Debbouze, Roschdy Zem, Sami Bouajila. 2010.

La Battaglia di Algieri (The Battle of Algiers). Dir. Gillo Pontecorvo. Perfs. Brahim Hadjadj, Jean Martin, Yaacef Saadi. 1966.

L’Ennemi Intime (Intimate Enemies). Dir. Florent-Emilio Siri. Perfs. Benoît Magimel, Albert Dupontel, Aurélien Recoing. 2007.

Loin des Hommes (Far From Men). Dir. David Oelhoffen. Perfs. Viggo Mortenson, Reda Kateb. 2014.

L’Opium et la Baton (The Opium and the Stick). Dir. Ahmed Rachedi. Perfs. Marie-José Nat, Sid Ali Kouiret, Jean-Louis Trintignant. 1971.

Lost Command. Dir. Mark Robson. Perfs. Anthony Quinn, Alain Delon, George Segal. 1966.

There's a separate thread elsewhere where we discuss Larteguy's books; they are good if somewhat more-talky-than-actiony books, and are interesting sociologically as examples of the "para culture" phenomenon.

Far From Men is a recent film that is actually a dramatization of a Camus short story, one I remember reading in French class over 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alistair Horne's A Savage War of Peace and David Galula's Counterinsurgency Warfare were required reading for the Naval War College's Strategy & Policy course module on the Algerian Insurgency. And we also watched the excellent "Battle of Algiers" film as well.

Horne's book is especially good -- he also wrote the excellent To Lose a Battle about the 1940 Fall of France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Day of the Jackal" is such a good movie. Has basically nothing in common, thankfully, with the Hollywood debacle "The Jackal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I came here to suggest The Battle of Algiers film but two people have already done that. Trust us, it's good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
I came here to suggest The Battle of Algiers film but two people have already done that. Trust us, it's good!

My public library comes through again. They've got it and Savage War of Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'd like to suggest the controversial memoirs of Gen.Paul Aussaresses,
"The Battle of the Casbah". Gen.Aussaresses set up the counter terrorist unit in the city of Algiers and endorsed the use of torture. An interesting work
on a disturbing subject.If you have an interest in uniforms/equipment then
I recommend "Paras Francais Algerie 1965-1962" by Patrice Pivetta and Eric Adam. Outstanding color photographs of uniforms and equipment.......simply superb. They also published a companion volume "Paras Francais en Indochine 1945-1954". Both volumes are French text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked to have used Aussaresses' book but it was not available - I do have the Criterion edition of the movie Battle of Algiers and on the bonus features disk there is a long interview with the General where he justifies his actions.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled across an article while looking up Gen. Aussaresses:

Anton Menning, Counterinsurgency in the Battle of the Casbah, Small Wars Journal Magazine, vol. 6 (2006)

I can't vouch for its accuracy or conclusion, but at less than twenty pages it's a good introduction for those, like me, who have limited knowledge of the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962 - a solid recreation of the conflict, along with any film/literature you can get hold of.

It's going to be interesting to see how much Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 differs from this earlier, and actually quite good, game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, there is another game on the topic you know - Algeria: The War of Independence 1954-1962 - which was designed 15 years ago (10 years before Ici), and I hold in some regard... a revised version will come out from OSS Games next year as one of their Folio games.

There are considerable differences between Ici and Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62, in emphasis as well as execution.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can read French -- unfortunately, I can't -- then Sylvie Thenault's Histoire de la Guerre D'Independence Algerienne (2005) sounds like a good bet. One academic writer refers to Thenault's book as "[t]he most important general history of the Algerian Revolution." Todd Shepard, The Invention of Decolonization p. 1 (2006).

While Shepard refers to Alistair Horne's more well-known book as a "magisterial recounting," he gives the edge to Thenault for incorporating what has been learned about the conflict since the French government opened its archives in 1992.

If you can't read French, then Horne is a great choice (well, Horne is a great choice either way), but if you want something shorter, Ted Morgan's My Battle of Algiers (also on the list above) is a good alternative. If you are interested in Morgan's book, you should watch his presentation on C-Span. Morgan doesn't adequately explain how seriously we should take his frequent verbatim quotations from 50 years ago, but the C-Span presentation should still increase your confidence level in his book as a work of history.

Link:

Book Discussion on My Battle of Algiers: A Memoir

http://www.c-span.org/video/?191847-1/book-discussion-battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.