Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: NVA March group clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've been learning the NVA bot March rules, through Example 3 and a couple of the rules threads here. One question I have is regarding the groups.

Fire in the Lake 3.3.2 - Procedure wrote:
Pieces moving from 1 space to another move as a single group


What I'm wondering is, does the rule mean that pieces from a space can only move together in to one other space? Or can there be several destinations, and as long as you identify all the pieces that will do each move, and they move together, that is fine. I ask, as in the Playbook Example, there are 3 Guerrillas and a base in Quang-Tri, and 3 ARVN pieces in Hue. One Guerrilla moves to the Hue-Da Nang LoC, leaving 2 left. The playbook states that Hue is not a target for March to take Control, as the NVA couldn't actually achieve that goal (need 4). Fair enough, that all works. But let's say that there were no ARVN in Hue, and 4 Guerrillas in Quang-Tri. One moves to the LoC, as in the example, leaving 3. 2 are needed to guard the base, but the last one could take control in Hue. Does it do that? Or does the rule I am wondering about say no, as one Guerrilla already left for a different location, and all pieces move in groups?

Now, my initial assumption for the reason for this rule is that you are not allowed to move Guerrillas one at a time into a space, in order to avoid activation, i.e. if 2 Guerrillas are moving to a space with 2 Police, moving together Activates them, whereas one at a time does not. And therefore, if this is the main driver, then selecting several destination spaces for pieces within a space does not seem a problem.

Do I have this correct, i.e. 1 start space could have pieces that move to multiple different destination spaces, as long as they move in groups? Or is it that 1 start space only has 1 destination space for its pieces? Sorry if this is an obvious answer, I'm just trying to grasp the rules as best I can.

Thanks,

Colin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to break down NVA March into two different parts: the "prep", where Guerrillas are moved for support, and the actual March, where control is taken. The need to keep all of one group marching to the same space occurs with the actual March. So after you March Guerrillas LOC an adjacent Laos/Cambodia spaces for Bases, then you group Guerrillas/Troops to March.

The 1-to-1 applies unless you cannot meet March priorities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb

We seem to have posted two threads on almost exactly the same question at almost the same time. Your question is answered here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1418332/nva-bot-march-split...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Um, guys? Colin asked about 3.3.2 (the March Ops description), not 8.6.5 (NVAbot March)...

ColintheFlea wrote:
Hi,

I've been learning the NVA bot March rules, through Example 3 and a couple of the rules threads here. One question I have is regarding the groups.

Fire in the Lake 3.3.2 - Procedure wrote:
Pieces moving from 1 space to another move as a single group


What I'm wondering is, does the rule mean that pieces from a space can only move together in to one other space?

No.

Quote:
Now, my initial assumption for the reason for this rule is that you are not allowed to move Guerrillas one at a time into a space, in order to avoid activation,

Correct.

Regards,
Oerjan

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Um, guys? Colin asked about 3.3.2 (the March Ops description), not 8.6.5 (NVAbot March)...

ColintheFlea wrote:
Hi,

I've been learning the NVA bot March rules, through Example 3 and a couple of the rules threads here. One question I have is regarding the groups.

Fire in the Lake 3.3.2 - Procedure wrote:
Pieces moving from 1 space to another move as a single group


What I'm wondering is, does the rule mean that pieces from a space can only move together in to one other space?

No.

Quote:
Now, my initial assumption for the reason for this rule is that you are not allowed to move Guerrillas one at a time into a space, in order to avoid activation,

Correct.

Regards,
Oerjan



Yes! I got it right. That's how I thought it probably played out, that a space can send pieces to multiple different destinations, and that the group move is intended to stop us from gaming the move to avoid activation. But it's great to get confirmation.

Thanks,

Colin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Um, guys? Colin asked about 3.3.2 (the March Ops description), not 8.6.5 (NVAbot March)...

Ok...you try answering rules questions on a tiny phone screen! shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Oerjan wrote:
Um, guys? Colin asked about 3.3.2 (the March Ops description), not 8.6.5 (NVAbot March)...

Ok...you try answering rules questions on a tiny phone screen! shake


Unfortunately, I think many times, he does! Puts us to shame, especially when he still gets all the quoting correct.

Colin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Not just many times; virtually every time...

/Oerjan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'm also doing this on a phone screen but in this case I messed up because of a lazy reading of the original question. My apologies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Not just many times; virtually every time...

/Oerjan


In that other thread you were saying you cannot reproduce Volko's long dash on the phone. I don't know which phone you've got, but on a certain phone, by keeping the dash key pressed down a while brings up a menu of further symbols including a longer dash: —
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Nexus. Holding the "-" button down yields "_", not a long dash.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.