Popular Tags: [View All]
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I picked up this game as part of the GenCon 2015 Math Trade, and i have a rules question...

When playing the Ettin card, who gains the use of the Special Power? The backer or the person who played it? And if it's the Backer, Does he/she get to play the additional card immediately or during his or her next turn?

The Ettin card text reads as follows:

Multiple Heads. When activated, the backer may play an additional card as if he had an additional "play a card" phase this turn (limited to once per turn).

The rule book states:

Ettin (Multiple Heads)
When you activate the Ettin's special power, you may immediately play a second card as though you had an additional phase 2 this turn. You may not activate the Ettin's special ability more than once per turn.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of "both".

When you play a card, you get to use the ability if, and only if, you are the backer. If you are the backer of a creature, and someone else plays a card on it, you do NOT get to activate the power.

So in order to use the Ettin ability, you must be the one playing the card AND be the current backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Kind of "both".

When you play a card, you get to use the ability if, and only if, you are the backer. If you are the backer of a creature, and someone else plays a card on it, you do NOT get to activate the power.

So in order to use the Ettin ability, you must be the one playing the card AND be the current backer.

Thanks... that makes sense now.. Based on your answer, I just re-read the rules and found the statement Playin a Combat Card: "when you play a combat card on a creature, if you are that creatures backer, you may immediatley use that creatures special power."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prefer Not to Tell
msg tools
I have another question. Let's say I'm the backer of Ettin and Unicorn. First, I play an Ettin card, which lets me play another card. If I choose to play a Unicorn card, do I then get to use the Unicorn's power too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DProject wrote:
I have another question. Let's say I'm the backer of Ettin and Unicorn. First, I play an Ettin card, which lets me play another card. If I choose to play a Unicorn card, do I then get to use the Unicorn's power too?

yes, I'm about 95% sure that "ability chaining" with the Ettin works. The second card played will trigger that creature's ability if you're its backer.

So in your case if you're the backer of both Ettin and Unicorn you could play an Ettin card, use the Ettin's ability to play a Unicorn card and then use the Unicorn's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.