Bryan Bateman
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
Countdown to GenCon is in effect...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off - love the game and even more so now that I really REALLY understand the rules

Second - the rules book sucks. hard. Please Artana find a better technical writer for a revision of the rules books. It took poor game play and 2 different videos to finally get everything nailed down.

Here is the various list of rules we butchered from our first play last night. Feel free to mock us openly yuk I will add that I was really REALLY tired going to game night and am not as dumb as my misplayed rules would lead you to believe... and the rest of the group watched the same bad beta video of the rules too and did not catch on

===========================================================

Luminary Auction : the remaining luminaries after Phase 2 are kept for a 3rd auction at the beginning of turn 5 / Phase 3. These keep their pre-assigned stock certificates. So by Phase 3 everyone has a 4th worker and a 2nd share of stock

Propaganda Cards : Wipe out Phase 1 cards at the beginning of Phase 2, etc... There should never be more Propaganda cards available than players playing

Propaganda cards w/ Star icon (up / down) : that permits you to move ANY SINGLE cube in the Future Fame track up or down the number of spots on the card. Thus - fuckery nastiness for other players start order

Technology : As revealed after the game you need to have AC/DC technology equal or higher than an BULB technology. Therefore we all play for the middle instead of Paul by himself (edit : Paul was one of the 5 we had playing and thought he could buy projects with Bulb only...)

Patents : If the Luminary that you are buying TECH with has a $1 or better $ rating you get the patent (all patents are rated at $1)). Do not pay a damn thing. Then advance your company stock price the level of the Patent (2 - 5 spots).

Edison special power : if Edison has NOT been played, and you use another player w/o a $ rating for the Technology, that guy can get the free Patent. Stock price still adjusts

Stock Market : each share is bought or sold 1 share at a time and the stock price adjusted immediately. We cannot buy multiple shares at one price

Selling Stock : once you Sell a share of stock its price slides directly left to the next column (not TOP of the next column). If it slides left and the next column is shorter, then it goes to the TOP of that column.

Money & Stock Certificates : printed with generic Money or Certificate on back. Meant to be flipped over to hide this from your opponents (bluffing mechanic)

Buying Projects : based on the patent thing - you can potentially be paying for the cost of your project and up to 2 patent holders if you do not hold either at the level you are on. Also, if you buy a level 2 project but you are on level 3, you would pay the level 3 patent holders

AC/DC Fame track - pays the highest patent holder of the AC or DC technology during each book keeping round (phase # bump to stock price). If it is in the middle it pays the highest patent holder of both AC and DC. Bulb does not get shit for this - sorry Bulb. Ex : AC #5 and DC #4 would BOTH be stock adjusted if the spot was in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanbateman wrote:

Patents : If the Luminary that you are buying TECH with has a $1 or better $ rating you get the patent (all patents are rated at $1)). Do not pay a damn thing. Then advance your company stock price the level of the Patent (2 - 5 spots).

This only applies if you raise your tech level by 1. The $ rating on the Luminary(s) used needs to be equal to or greater than the number of technology levels increased in that single action. For example, if you were on level 2 DC and went up 2 levels to level 4, the price for the level 4 patent would be $2 and you wouldn't get the level 3 patent if no one had it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grier
Scotland
Paisley
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...Drat ninja'd by dhc3po

I suspect this list will be used by a few new players

bryanbateman wrote:

Worth noting (at the risk of confusing everyone) that your Luminary must have $ rating equal to or greater than the number of places you moved.
Normally this is $1 when you advance 1 space but if you skip technologies you must pay an extra $1 per space you skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanbateman wrote:

Technology : As revealed after the game you need to have a BULB technology equal or higher than an AC/DC technology. Therefore we all play for the middle instead of Paul by himself (edit : Paul was one of the 5 we had playing and thought he could buy projects with Bulb only...)

Uh, no. Bulb and power technology levels both have to be at least as high as the project requires, but the bulb's level can be lower than the power's if, for instance, the bulb meets the requirement and the power exceeds it. The example in the rules does precisely that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric is correct here.

ericamick2 wrote:
bryanbateman wrote:

Technology : As revealed after the game you need to have a BULB technology equal or higher than an AC/DC technology. Therefore we all play for the middle instead of Paul by himself (edit : Paul was one of the 5 we had playing and thought he could buy projects with Bulb only...)

Uh, no. Bulb and power technology levels both have to be at least as high as the project requires, but the bulb's level can be lower than the power's if, for instance, the bulb meets the requirement and the power exceeds it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanbateman wrote:

Luminary Auction : the remaining luminaries after Phase 2 are kept for a 3rd auction at the beginning of turn 5 / Phase 3. These keep their pre-assigned stock certificates. So by Phase 3 everyone has a 4th worker and a 2nd share of stock

Nowhere do the rules say to discard leftover luminaries. What did you do wth them?

bryanbateman wrote:

Propaganda Cards : Wipe out Phase 1 cards at the beginning of Phase 2, etc... There should never be more Propaganda cards available than players playing

Player aid, last page: "replace unused propaganda cards with those for the upcoming phase."
And no, you DO have always one more propaganda card available than there are players - just like it is described in the setup.

bryanbateman wrote:

Propaganda cards w/ Star icon (up / down) : that permits you to move ANY SINGLE cube in the Future Fame track up or down the number of spots on the card. Thus - fuckery nastiness for other players start order

"move a fame marker up or down the number of spots shown" (Page 8) It does not say YOUR fame marker.

bryanbateman wrote:

Technology : As revealed after the game you need to have a BULB technology equal or higher than an AC/DC technology. Therefore we all play for the middle instead of Paul by himself

"The bulb and either the AC or DC technology level(s) of a company who wishes to claim a project must be greater than or equal to the technology requirement of the procejt." (page 6)
And no, both must meet at least the required level - it doesn't matter where bulb and AC or DC stand to each other.

bryanbateman wrote:

Page 8, in detail, with an example.

bryanbateman wrote:

Edison special power : if Edison has NOT been played, and you use another player w/o a $ rating for the Technology, that guy can get the free Patent. Stock price still adjusts

Yes, that's what edisons card says.

bryanbateman wrote:

Stock Market : each share is bought or sold 1 share at a time and the stock price adjusted immediately. We cannot buy multiple shares at one price

"Certificates are bought and sold one-ertificate-at-a-time, with the stock price changing between each transation" (page 9)

bryanbateman wrote:

Selling Stock : once you Sell a share of stock its price slides directly left to the next column (not TOP of the next column). If it slides left and the next column is shorter, then it goes to the TOP of that column.

Page 9: ".. after doing so, slide that stock's price one spot to the left.

bryanbateman wrote:

Money & Stock Certificates : printed with generic Money or Certificate on back. Meant to be flipped over to hide this from your opponents (bluffing mechanic)

That's the only one that's not in the rules. Also, it works with open money and portfolios just as well.

bryanbateman wrote:

Buying Projects : based on the patent thing - you can potentially be paying for the cost of your project and up to 2 patent holders if you do not hold either at the level you are on. Also, if you buy a level 2 project but you are on level 3, you would pay the level 3 patent holders

Page 6, "Claim a project": A-Project cost, B -Regional reputation, C-Luminary $ Rating, D - Patents. Every one of them in detail.

bryanbateman wrote:

AC/DC Fame track - pays the highest patent holder of the AC or DC technology during each book keeping round (phase # bump to stock price). If it is in the middle it pays the highest patent holder of both AC and DC. Bulb does not get shit for this - sorry Bulb. Ex : AC #5 and DC #4 would BOTH be stock adjusted if the spot was in the middle.

Page 10, bookkeeping, Point 2 (in detail).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bateman
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
Countdown to GenCon is in effect...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Benji for pointing out all the things I already pointed out that we did wrong. I saw the game improperly played at GenCon and watched a video that misplayed the game as well. We did a quick read of the rules but honestly everybody thought we had it down pat.

I did fix my flip flop of Bulb and AC/DC tech in my public shaming. I had it right in my head and then wrote it wrong in my post (now corrected)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redrigdiva wrote:

I hope not, because everything is right there in the rules. It would be way better if they used them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanbateman wrote:
Thanks Benji for pointing out all the things I already pointed out that we did wrong. I saw the game improperly played at GenCon and watched a video that misplayed the game as well. We did a quick read of the rules but honestly everybody thought we had it down pat.

I did fix my flip flop of Bulb and AC/DC tech in my public shaming. I had it right in my head and then wrote it wrong in my post (now corrected)

Ok, but after admitting that you didn't even read the rulebook properly, this

Quote:
Second - the rules book sucks. hard. Please Artana find a better technical writer for a revision of the rules books.

is not really acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grier
Scotland
Paisley
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
redrigdiva wrote:

I hope not, because everything is right there in the rules. It would be way better if they used them.

I was aiming for helpful and supportive rather than ridicule.

I'm very good at understanding rules, but sometimes I like to read other peoples mis-understanding to ensure that I've not made one of those mistakes too.

So I think the list has value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanbateman wrote:

Your "correction" is still wrong, I'm afraid. The bulb and power technology levels are not connected to each other in any way. The only thing that matters is having both at least as high as the level required by the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redrigdiva wrote:

It's not about ridicule at all, it's about stating that the "rulebook sucks. Hard." and then admitting to not having really read it - which seemed quite obvious from all the "missed" rules that are clearly explained in said rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you refer to the player aid at the back of the rulebook. I find that the aid gives a good outline and overview on every step of the game and every action. Although I am disappointed in the rulebook, the player aid is very helpful in keeping track of all of the fine details of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rulebook to be quite solid. It's a complex game, so I wasn't surprised that I missed or forgot little details on my solo run through. Even so, the steps and actions were laid out clearly, with only occasional moments of uncertainty on my part. I say, good work, Dirk!

Of course, I do appreciate "easy to miss rules" posts like this, especially when coming back to a complex game after time away. I say, thanks, OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Dickinson
Canada
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Benji68 wrote:
redrigdiva wrote:

It's not about ridicule at all, it's about stating that the "rulebook sucks. Hard." and then admitting to not having really read it - which seemed quite obvious from all the "missed" rules that are clearly explained in said rulebook.

I have to agree. It's not fair to bash the rule book and say it sucks and call out the publisher and their technical writers when it actually is all there and just takes some time and practice to get everything down. There are a lot of moving parts in this game, so it will take more than a quick read through the rule book to get everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.