Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already another Thread going around from Illegal reproducing of boardgamegeek photos?.

This Thread is specifically about www.regatuljocurilor.ro

I had made a contact there named Alex who first responded. He said he would take down my images from Roll Through The Ages Iron Age and he did in a matter of 10 minutes, even.

I then looked through all of their Strategy games I thought I might have an image pop up and found my images on

Roll Through the Ages Iron Age

Roll for the Galaxy

Orleans

Hyperborea

Five Tribes

Limes

Lords of Xidit

Patchwork

patchistory

Subdivision

Sultaniya

Die Staufer 2st ed.

I wrote another email. I have yet to hear a reply for that.

Again, this site has LOADS of images probably found on BGG- I hope it gets rectified and made right for all BGG users. Alex seemed surprised as he though BGG was a free to use what he found. He maybe, genuinely, didn't know... maybe.

I definitely think if he didn't know he might be the exception to the rule. I have to believe a retailer WOULD and SHOULD know that all images found on BGG are copyright and they are just choosing to not recognize this.

Other sites such as www.Boardgamewarehouse.com Has removed my images when I requested with no problem.

www.uplay.it seems to be a much larger issue and BGG should really take care of that.

Something has to be done. I may not post anymore photos here. It has been bothering me A LOT today. It is really a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Illegal Use of Images on Retail Site
Contact email for this site: regatuljocurilor@gmail.com

To help out, here are some more examples of images used illegally by regatuljocurilor.ro. Virtually all their images in the galleries for Machi Koro and Cubist are my photos, and are reproduced without my permission. Other galleries with some of my photos include Flash Point, Pirate's Cove and Dominion. And that is just a small list of examples - countless other instances could be given of my photos, and 100s of photos by many boardgamegeek users. Hopefully other people will post more examples in this thread.

I have also emailed them about this issue, and encourage other users to do the same (regatuljocurilor@gmail.com). I will give an update here about any response I receive.

What they need to do isn't just remove the specific images they are asked about, but all the images they have taken from boardgamegeek. See also the relevant message here by admin Matthew Monin, which clearly states BGG's policy, which should apply equally to regatuljocurilor.ro:
Quote:
I have contacted http://www.svet-her.cz and CCed http://www.vshosting.cz/ explaining that BGG members retain full rights to their work and that their images cannot be used without permission and asking that ALL images taken from BGG without permission be removed from their site.
A separate thread about www.uplay.it would be a good idea. BGG admins (i.e. Octavian) could be pointed to it and asked to correspond with uplay.it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I received the following email response from regatuljocurilor.ro, and have their permission to post it publicly here, for consideration and response by the BGG community:

regatuljocurilor.ro wrote:
I apologize for any inconvenience we may have produced. We thought as fans post pictures of the games on BGG they are available for everyone to use as in the end promoting boardgames is the end target.

We are a small website consisting of 2 boardgame fans who are doing this as a side business to their normal jobs. We don't have the means to take pictures of every game we are having on our website and we can't afford to pay for every one of them. We actually barely have time to upload the games to our website as you will see lots of products don't even have the description translated to Romanian. As our market is very mistrustful and rather small market(niche) we wanted to provide the best pictures we could find on internet as we are trying to promote boardgames the best we can as most of Romanians have no clue what modern boardgames are (I personally (ashamed to say now) discovered boardgames 5 years ago and before that I was 100% sure Monopoly was the only one).

In this situation I can only propose the following thing:

1. Either remove all your photos from our website (this will take us hours of work and in the end the boardgame enthusiast will be hurt as good pictures are hard to come by) if you specify which ones should be as we haven't kept track so far.

2. Either give you credit in the description of the games for which we utilized your pictures.

Regards,
Alex
I need to bow out of the discussion for a bit (other things that need doing), so I leave it to others to suggest and discuss an appropriate response. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Documenting some illegal use of my images:

copied here
copied here
copied here
copied here
copied here
copied here
copied here
copied here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender that is pretty much the response I received as well.

I gave him a list- but I agree it will not be a reconciled for all BGG users. I responded to take mine down and to move forward and ask each and every BGG member if he could use the images he would like to.

Maybe he will maybe he won't - I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The sheer scale of what is being copied is staggering, here are some more examples:

regatuljocurilor.ro page for China (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Merchants & Marauders (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Harbour (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Cinque Terre (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Samarkand (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Macao (link)

regatuljocurilor.ro page for Haggis (link)

Note that these images are from many different BGG users, not just me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that hundreds of more examples could be given, possibly thousands, and the photos of hundreds of BGG users would be affected by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While I sympathize somewhat with the site owners and what this means for them, it doesn't change the fact that regatuljocurilor.ro is a commercial site of a business selling games. The number of images that is being reproduced is enormous. We're talking about hundreds, possibly thousands, of images being copied and used without permission. In all likelihood, hundreds of boardgamegeek users are affected by this, the vast majority without their knowledge.

I feel that we need to speak as a united voice, also on behalf of the many BGG users whose photos are being used without their knowledge. In view of this, official communication to them from one of the boardgamegeek staff would also be appropriate and helpful in this instance.

In terms of what is necessary, I think boardgamegeek's official position is stated quite clearly here, i.e. BGG members retain full rights to their work and their images cannot be used without permission, so ALL images taken from BGG without permission should be removed. The majority of the BGG community also seems to support the recommended course of action mentioned in this post. It may not be easy, but it is the right thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent an email as a representative of BGG explaining the situation and asking that all images used without permission be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first browse through their games show 58 pictures taken from me for 22 games (5 for Camel Up, 8 for Riff Raff ...) - but I am not finished yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it a problem when photos are used this way?

Please pardon my ignorance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

The photos on BGG are contributed as an infomation for other users. Users are free to attribute any kind of creative commons license to their pictures. If they do not want to let commercial sites using their photos for free for advertising purposes, nobody should do this.
But quite some shops do exactly that. They use - withoput even asking for permission - photos put on BGG.

This is violating copyright laws more or less of each country in the world and the guidelines on BGG how to use the content uploaded by users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
da pyrate wrote:

How would you feel if I politely asked to borrow your copy of The Castles of Burgundy to play with my wife this weekend?

Now how would you feel if I sneaked into your home and took your pimped grail copy of Dune, without your knowledge or permission, and used it over the next year to run weekly tournaments at which I charged $10 a head?

It's like that. Sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
I may not post anymore photos here.
Say it ain't so! I love reading your "what I played" entries. I'll often just scroll through looking at the lovely pictures. It'd be a shame if you stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex from regatulijocurilor.ro has responded saying:
Quote:
"We are following the thread and we will remedy the situation as soon as we can(you can understand it will take us several days to do so). "

He also points out that there are many other Romanian sites that do not pop up as high on search engines that are likewise using BGG images. We can only address those situation we are aware of, so I have invited him to detail any other examples of sites using BGG images without permission.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:

www.uplay.it seems to be a much larger issue and BGG should really take care of that.

I have contacted uplay.it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent them an e-mail and Alex mailed back within 1o minutes.

Alex apologizes and say, they just don't have the time (and spare copies, I guess) to open up each game and take photos by themselves.

How about a half-generic link these shops could add to the official pics from the publisher, directing to the specific game gallery on bgg, sorted "game" and "hot"? Like this one here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/118695/riff-raff?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

How would you feel if I politely asked to borrow your copy of The Castles of Burgundy to play with my wife this weekend?

Now how would you feel if I sneaked into your home and took your pimped grail copy of Dune, without your knowledge or permission, and used it over the next year to run weekly tournaments at which I charged $10 a head?

It's like that. Sort of.

While I see your point, it doesn't seem a big deal as using photos doesn't hurt me or cost me.

I have had some of my photos used on the GMT c3i webpages.

Roger MacGowan was nice enough to ask permission but even if he hadn't it would not have bothered me.

BTW, I'm happy to lend you Castles of Burgundy or Dune. If you and your wife must steal something please let it be Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is about goodness and niceness. Using people's images without asking (where it clearly easy, possible and required to do so) is neither good or nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER B
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would be honored if someone wanted to use my images. Might as well get it out of the way. They can have my have my permission btw. Please inform them for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ermj1986 wrote:
I would be honored if someone wanted to use my images. Might as well get it out of the way. They can have my have my permission btw. Please inform them for me.
Hell! I have over 600 BGG-'rejected' imagery kinds FOR 'games'-related assortment if they want to contact ME about those too! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
punkin312 wrote:
I may not post anymore photos here.
Say it ain't so! I love reading your "what I played" entries. I'll often just scroll through looking at the lovely pictures. It'd be a shame if you stopped.

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate that.

I might just end up doing a different format... I will have to play around and see what works best. I don't want to stop either, I kinda have a lot to say in my blog for Monday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
ermj1986 wrote:
You can indicate this yourself, by setting some form of creative commons license on your images. Right now they all say "© All rights reserved" (at the bottom of the left bar on any image page), but there's a little "edit" link to the right of that on your own photos, which allows you to set different preferences for how your image could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabrice vandenbogaerde
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll just let them use my images. Why not?
Feels a little bit like Wikipedia. I put some info on BGG and if you're interested, just use it. giving a thumb up as a little token of your appreciation would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
fabricefab wrote:
I think I'll just let them use my images. Why not?
Feels a little bit like Wikipedia. I put some info on BGG and if you're interested, just use it. giving a thumb up as a little token of your appreciation would be nice.

Go to any of your images on the site and click (edit) next to the section about what rights you reserve on the content. From there you can set it so you reserve no rights to any of the images you contribute by default. That way anyone interested in your images knows they do not need to contact you for permission first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You might want to 'glean' any of YOURS that "no longer functioned" as these should here. I've encountered that for my OWN ages ago, and performed an EDIT upon this where an alternative was readily available. Anything else is 'caught' when or where THAT is ascertained from continued vigilance, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |