George Taylor
United States
Moosup
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't started Wrath of the Righteous yet but noticed there is a new character Arueshalae included with the 3rd adventure Demon's Heresy. Are there any special rules with this character? Can you start the basic adventure with her?

This is the 1st time if I remember correctly that they have introduced a new character mid way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull and Shackles had the ghost that could possess one of your characters for one mission about mid-way through the campaign. I can't remember his name or the mission off the top of my head, but he gave up a pretty nice boon if you used him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't started Wrath yet, but based on the discussions on the Paizo.com forums along with the blog post introducing here, one of the scenarios in AD3 includes a location that you summon and if you clear that location before you beat the scenario, you unlock the ability to play as Arueshalae.

When you do unlock her, she starts with the same feats unlocked as the other characters. So you can continue play either swapping her for an existing character or simply adding her to the existing party. No need to go back and play earlier ADs to unlock feats for her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from Paizo's preview:
Quote:
As I said above, after the players close two locations in The Demon's Redoubt, they get to build the Tower of the Fourth Sphere. It's sort of an optional location to explore, as there's no villain or henchmen in it. But if you put in the time and effort to close the location, and you win the scenario, there is an amazing reward.

YOU GET TO PLAY ARUESHALAE!

So, technically, you have to close a certain location in a certain scenario of the 3d adventure in order to play her.

But some folks say it's all right to play her from the start. After all, it's your game

But in our group we didn't let the guy who wanted her to take her from the very beginning - because it does not make sense thematically. She is supposed to be captured in some sort of tower until we come to free her. How will it look if she comes to free herself from that tower?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:

But in our group we didn't let the guy who wanted her to take her from the very beginning - because it does not make sense thematically. She is supposed to be captured in some sort of tower until we come to free her. How will it look if she comes to free herself from that tower?

Maybe for that episode the Arueshelae player has to use another character. Arushelae has been kidnapped...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Taylor
United States
Moosup
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. Got decisions to make as someone in our group wants to play her from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
Sorry, but I disagree.

Arueshalae's Cards doesn't say anything about her not being a regular character that you may pick as a starting character.

Yes, the party comes across her at a location during a scenario that comes in Box 3.

The players may then play this character, either add her to the party or swap her for an existing character.

How do you then avoid the problem of her having less Cards, Skill and Powers that the existing characters have? The answer is this Instant Level up.

This is the same problem that players always face when a character dies. According to the rules you may pick better Cards than Basic Cards if on a higher scenario number, but thats it. No extra Cards, Skills or Powers.

The only way around this, according to the rules, is to play this character solo through EVERY PREVIOUS scenario so that the character gets the rewards listed.

Really, what does the players on BoardGameGeek do? They cheat. They Instant Level the New character to the same, or a similar Level, as the existing still alive characters.

THE SAME CHOICE the Paizo made to make Arueshalae a viable character to add to an existing party.

Does this make her a character that can't be chosen as a starting character. Well, read her Cards. That is the MAIN RULE in this game, do what the Cards tells you. Is there ANYTHING different that tells you that this is not a character you might pick as a starting character?

A Remark: Season of the Shackles,adventure 1, Lost at Sea. This was among the scenarios released to be played with the Class Decks. The reward for this scenario says: "Each character gains a card feat. Each player unlocks the ability to play Jirelle from the Skulls & Shackles Base Set with the Rogue Class Deck."

So a reward that lets you play a character after the party have already started playing scenarios.
Sounds familiar?
Does this make Jirelle a character that you cannot pick as a starting character?

I say, of course not. But it gives the players more options, more Choices, more ways to use their Cards.

Just like with Arueshalae.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tor, I'm sorry, I don't know who you disagree with, but if it's me then I don't know what is the point of your disagreement.

I said that you can do whatever you like with your game, and I think that whatever makes your experience with this game enjoyable for you and your group is the right option.

I only added that in our group we decided against using Arueshalae from the very start. One of the reasons was the thematic one, one that I described previously.

Another reason is related to the gameplay. I must say that in our group we really enjoy the highly challenging nature of the Wrath scenarios - we started loosing more often and so the whole experience has become more exciting for us. And we where afraid that Arueshalae could take some of this excitement away with Arueshalae's gift and with her ability to evade any encounter.

But if that is exactly what you group needs and if you don't mind the thematic discrepancy - then, by all means, go ahead and use her. I said that much myself in my initial post.

______
Also, you mentioned dying... Our group has never experienced it luckily, but we really don't know what are we going to do if this happens. Of course, soloing through all previous scenarios is our of the question. Maybe we will let the dead characters get away with permanently loosing one of the feats of his or her choice. But we really try hard not to let any of us die. That's why we have all 4 Cures, that's why I (Crowe) carry around the useless Worldstone fragment, that's why our cleric chose the Hierophant Mythic Path.

So, my point is, do what you like, what makes you enjoy the game. You made your choice, we as a group made ours. We can share our experience but I don't see any point for arguments and disagreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
Mikhail, I have no problems with anything you say.

My point was just that there is nothing that says this isn’t a character that may be used from the start. That implies that you also may choose not to.

To the thematic argument. Yours is logic, as players find her trapped and frees her.

What I personally find strange, thematically, is a Demon with Charisma D12, Knowledge D12+1 and Diplomacy D12+3. Anyone coming across a “person” with long horns on the forehead, a long tail and large wings, is it really logic to trust that creature that much. A succubus yes, but shouldn’t that “work” differently on male and female characters?

I’m not that bound by theme, after all during the scenarios you find aquatic animals in buildings, a bat helps the party during daytime adventures, a frog helps the party against traps, and what the hell is a Carbuncle anyway. This is just a card game, not a RPG, so I just don’t consider any of this to be “real” or “logic”.

My latest party are Ekkie and Arueshalae. I don’t find her to be too powerful. Her Gift helps Ekkie, but she has not much that helps herself. Some damage reduction, but not against Combat damage. None of the characters have Arcane or Divine skills, so the only magic is a Cure spell for Arueshalae that she can’t recharge. Ekkie carries the Sacred Prism.

Evade may be useful, but that means shuffle these cards back in the location deck, not that helpful in the long run, as it dilutes the decks making it taking longer time to find the henchmen and the Villain. If not for the loot Wardstone Fragment Ekkie would have been permanently dead during scenario 1.5. for example.

So keeping the “ladies” alive is a struggle, not a cakewalk, as most scenarios are completed at the brink of death for one or both of the characters. This is worst for Ekkie. No spells and from the beginning only 1 in 5 cards are weapons. I often start the first scenario without weapons because Ekkie’s favorite card type it Item and Blessings for Arueshalae. As an example scenario 2.1 has all normal Monster cards on top of the location decks, and I was unlucky and got no weapons in the starting hands, and drew the first weapon on turn 5.

But I do think that Arueshalae might be a little above average powerful in a large party, but this would be the same if she first joins a party during a deck 3 scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringer 11 wrote:

A Remark: Season of the Shackles,adventure 1, Lost at Sea. This was among the scenarios released to be played with the Class Decks. The reward for this scenario says: "Each character gains a card feat. Each player unlocks the ability to play Jirelle from the Skulls & Shackles Base Set with the Rogue Class Deck."

So a reward that lets you play a character after the party have already started playing scenarios.
Sounds familiar?
Does this make Jirelle a character that you cannot pick as a starting character?

Just to this point here, Jirelle couldn't be a starting character if you're playing by Organized Play Rules. There's not a Swashbuckling Class Deck yet.

We will start Wrath of the Righteous in about a month (only played solo so far) and if someone wants to start with Arueshalae, I'm not sure what we'll do. The designer's intent seems clear, though. You get an option to start playing with her in AD 3.

Edit: The Arueshalae/Ekkie combo sounds like fun. I hope you let us know how they fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tor, I agree that often things in this game look strange (and funny) from the thematic point of view. I enjoyed your examples, some of them made me laugh

I agree also that your party does not look overpowered at all. I am amazed that you managed to get so far without a healer. When I was talking about Arueshalae being a bit too powerful I assumed a type of party we usually play (4 players). We always have at least one healer, usually two Her evade ability is also very useful because she can scout locations for really nasty stuff and then the party can choose not to go through those locations at all, to close them temporary instead when trying to corner the villain.

But I agree that in your case it's not the same.

I agree that she will be just as powerful after adventure 3, but maybe the scenarios will become even tougher then? We still don't know what terrors await us there. Maybe she is supposed to be one of those things that are supposed to give us a boost just when we need it most? Like the Mythic Paths, the Knights of Kenabres (with all the skill feats they provide)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
I guess there are more stuff coming regarding Arueshalae in the next decks.

Like the deck 3 loot that says owner: Arueshalae.

I don't know what that means for now. But those are linked to Desna, as are one of her Redeemed Powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringer 11 wrote:
Well, read her Cards. That is the MAIN RULE in this game, do what the Cards tells you. Is there ANYTHING different that tells you that this is not a character you might pick as a starting character?

Yes, the "3" in the top-right corner of her card tells me that she isn't added to the game box until the start of AD3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringer 11 wrote:
What I personally find strange, thematically, is a Demon with Charisma D12, Knowledge D12+1 and Diplomacy D12+3. Anyone coming across a “person” with long horns on the forehead, a long tail and large wings, is it really logic to trust that creature that much. A succubus yes, but shouldn’t that “work” differently on male and female characters?
You don't know Succubae like I know Succubae cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
Malcolm:
You're right, there is a 3 on Arueshalae's cards.

So I played a solo party with Enora, Seelah and Kyra. Played through every single scenario, and came to the one where Arueshalae was set free from the Tower.

So what was the reward: If you (which is I, the player, not the characters in the party) win the scenario, a player (and I chose myself) may begin playing the character Arueshalae ….. .

So I did choose to play this character, but I also chose to not let her join the existing party. The card says I may play this character, so this trumps the rule about only card from set B and C when starting playing the base set adventure.

So Arueshalae was free to go on her own adventures. She met Ekkie on her travels and since Ekkie didn't have any type of feat or mythic path, that was the level Arueshalae began her first adventure with Ekkie at.

Nonsense?

You are free to mean that.

But it's my game , and that's how I chose to do it.

If the ONLY way to play her was to add her to an existing party, then she would have had starting abilities equal to character's at the level a normal party has when this scenario is reached.

Yes I know that theoretically you may play character's that dies during every scenario, and you move on to the next scenario with only fresh rookie character's. And stubborn as hell you do this through every effing scenario in spite of your characters dying because they are not equipped to handle the challenges each scenario presents. So that when you set Arueshalae free, by pure luck, she will be the only character in the party with a mythic path and she won't earn a single feat because no character's in the rescuing team has any.

Who play's like that? I certainly don't. If ALL the character's are dead at the end of a scenario, then that's the end.

Admit defeat, pick a new team, remove all the cards with a 1 or higher, and start from the first base set scenario. And you try to do better this time.

For the rules lawyers: The rules give this order:

1: Choose character to play. 2: Build. 3: Trade.

4: Then decide what to play. If you choose to start with the base set adventure, THEN you remove all cards belonging to higher sets that B and C.

So cards belonging to sets with a higher number that the chosen scenario are removed AFTER you have chosen what character to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this scenario tonight and I aim to unlock her. Me and my group have already decided that it should be me (if anyone) that uses her as she has a high dex and charisma stat. Currently I'm using adowyn so it makes sense. I do like adowyn however. As for choosing cards.... I'll most likely give the sucubis as many as the cards adowyn has..... Being dex related etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Stewart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I hate to resurrect a stale thread, but I just got to adventure 3 in the box set, and I think many of you may have missed something important.

If I'm reading the location where you rescue her correctly, it says that she starts with the same number of each kind of feat that another character in the party has. So if she joins the party after you rescue her in Adventure 3, (assuming you have at least one character who hasn't died), she'll begin with at least 3 card feats, 2 power feats, and 6 skill feats. And since you're in Adventure 3, her starting deck gets to include any cards from decks B, C, or 1 — plus the three Loot cards she "owns" that you get as a reward for beating that adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Arueshalae actually start with a starting deck composed from cards from decks B, C, or 1 OR does she start with the cards of the character she replaces + cards from decks B, C, or 1 where those aren't enough? I think one could rule either way here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petar Petrov
msg tools
mb
If you DO chose to play Aru - she joins the party at the end of the scenario (when all other rewards are given), and then you're allowed to trade between characters. So, yes, if you know you're going to abandon one of your existing chars - nothing prevents you from giving their cards to the succubus (and then finish building her deck with B, C and 1, if no sufficient cards from some type are present).

If you do NOT wish to trade your old char's cards (for example, because you want to 'shop' a particular B. C or 1 card) - nothing can make you do it, but I'd still argue it's mandatory to give Aru any cards you found during the adventure first (before you're allowed to shop B, C, 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.