Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What is the best way to place cloaked mines before your opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
If your running a mines fleet what is the best way to get them off? If your opponent is running cloaked mines too what do you do then? What way can cloaked mines work in Q op 2? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just relative to Q2, my local experience was that players left the cloaked mines at home. Everyone was caught up in building to accommodate Q on a shipand didn't bring anything super tricky like mines. So, for that scenario, you may not need to worry about others looking to drop mines. Your mileage may vary.

What I worried about facing was one mine template between the planet and moon and another on the far side of the moon. Would have forced me to drive right through them or swing so far to the moon side of the table to clear them that I would miss many mission tokens, which represent a lot of points if both fleets aren't optimized for joust. And they won't be, because of Q.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with mines is that you want to move either 3 strait or 3 bank towards the area you want to mine/deny/farm damage in. In the case of Q2, within range 1 of the moon, as close to the middle of the board as possible. If using 2 mines or more, then make sure they are range 2 from each other or they will become 1 large mine field instead of 2. That means only 1 attack roll instead of multiple.
The best defense against mines will vary, there are several cards that reduce damage or let you roll defence dice. I think the best way is aggression - use a fast ship to get close to a mine layer and their deployment area shrinks considerably to a point that if the mines get placed, it won't be where the player really wants them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I brought mines to this. Placed them as close to the moon on my side as I could get OK the second round (Prototype was carrying my mine, so not the fastest.)

It forces your opponent to keep their distance and fly around the moon, meaning their arcs aren't facing you. Or they crawl towards the moon, which means they'll eventually get into range of the field.

My first opponent didn't have mines. She was forced to send her octahedron with Q into the field. And because our ships were bunched up near the moon, she could never get her Q ship out of the field. (unfortunately, my field threw terrible every time.)

Second opponent brought mines and did the same strategy. Made things real interesting

But in both matches it came down to mission tokens. So keeping them away from the moon can be very important.

I put Q on the D'Kyr and slowly orbited the moon at maximum range. While clearing the auxiliaries and moving the moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
A double maneuver first turn gets you out in the area that they want to deploy mines. It will force them to hold the mines for later or deploy them in sub-optimal spots sooner.

If you are okay with cross faction, use Picard Maneuver on turn one and then deploy the next turn. PM also allows you to take that turn of abuse from jumping out in front of your enemies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric W.
msg tools
I've found the FAQ's for cloaked mines to be contradictory. Do you take damage when leaving a minefield or only when entering?

I've looked at this FAQ: https://stawphilippines.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/rules-of-mi...

in the same paragraph it contradicts itself, see the bold areas:
"If the trigger areas for two Cloaked Mines overlap, the ship would be damaged by only one of the Cloaked Mines. However, if a ship passes through (and completely out of) the trigger area of one Cloaked Mine and into the trigger area of another Cloaked Mine, then the ship sustains damage from both Cloaked Mines. In other words, if two enemy Cloaked Mine areas of effect overlap, you are not considered to have entered the area of effect of a second Cloaked Mine token until you have completely exited the first. (BGG and BGG) Of course, if a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy’s Cloaked Mine, and moves beyond the Cloaked Mine’s range, then it does not receive damage again this turn. But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine’s range, then it is does receive damage again this turn. (BGG)"

am I just reading this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EricTheRedCanada wrote:
I've found the FAQ's for cloaked mines to be contradictory. Do you take damage when leaving a minefield or only when entering?

I've looked at this FAQ: https://stawphilippines.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/rules-of-mi...

in the same paragraph it contradicts itself, see the bold areas:
"If the trigger areas for two Cloaked Mines overlap, the ship would be damaged by only one of the Cloaked Mines. However, if a ship passes through (and completely out of) the trigger area of one Cloaked Mine and into the trigger area of another Cloaked Mine, then the ship sustains damage from both Cloaked Mines. In other words, if two enemy Cloaked Mine areas of effect overlap, you are not considered to have entered the area of effect of a second Cloaked Mine token until you have completely exited the first. (BGG and BGG) Of course, if a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy’s Cloaked Mine, and moves beyond the Cloaked Mine’s range, then it does not receive damage again this turn. But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine’s range, then it is does receive damage again this turn. (BGG)"

am I just reading this wrong?

As I understand it, if two mine areas overlap, and you enter the joint area and exit both overlapping mine areas on the next turn, you only take damage once. If the two mine areas don't quite overlap (say there is a 1/16" strip where there is no minefield) and you move directly between them so you actually overlap both mines, you get hit twice. If the mines partially overlap and you move into both (getting hit once) and then move the next turn ending up in any one of the minefields, then you would get hit again.

Romulan cloaked mines are (in my humble opinion) too powerful for the quite cheap cost. There are some defenses against them but you can't bring everything in your fleet -- you can only have so many cards, so they often have effects in the game way out of proportion to their cost. We never saw cloaked mines employed tactically on television or the movies, only strategically (fixed emplacements near DS9 by the Federation and around a Romulan planet by the Romulans in the Enterprise era). If Romulan players were only allowed to employ them in games where you were playing in Romulan space and only before the battle started, I might have less objection.

In a way you can imagine a terrible horrible Tholian web card where a whole array of web tokens are deployed just like a cloaked mine by just laying down a single card. Wouldn't that be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric W.
msg tools
if I only have one minefield, and they moved into it last turn and then moved out of it this turn, do they take damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not this turn, only the turn they moved into the minefield's area of effect. They cleared the minefield, so it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EricTheRedCanada wrote:
if I only have one minefield, and they moved into it last turn and then moved out of it this turn, do they take damage?

Only if they end their move within range 1 of the cloaked mine token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls