Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: End of turn icon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get an 'end of turn' icon for a card. The icon is for the example action: collect 1 coin at end of turn, so the iconography would be: +1db S (the down arrow would be replaced with the icon for end of turn). Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hour glass?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A circular arc with an arrow? This is assuming that the next person's turn goes in a particular direction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, misread it at first.

Perhaps change it up a bit for understanding the icon?

Instead of using +1 S for "Gain 1 at end of turn" use S : +1. That puts the event first, then the consequence, making it easier for left-to-right readers to find and process.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vazquez
United States
Imperial
California
flag msg tools
If you have an icon for something called "between turns" use that.

If not, use two circulating arrows to show "between turns" since "End of turn" could be substituted for this without losing too much.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a theme to the game as this might hint towards an icon. A timepiece is indeed a good icon to use, maybe a thematic timepiece, sundial, moon, Grandfather clock, digital watch, full moon, finish line etc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Is there a theme to the game as this might hint towards an icon. A timepiece is indeed a good icon to use, maybe a thematic timepiece, sundial, moon, Grandfather clock, digital watch, full moon, finish line etc

Yes - the theme to the game is reflected a little in your Avatar. The game is a spin on the game that is well known to Print 'n Players; it's Inspector Moss: House Arrest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
whatambush wrote:
Is there a theme to the game as this might hint towards an icon. A timepiece is indeed a good icon to use, maybe a thematic timepiece, sundial, moon, Grandfather clock, digital watch, full moon, finish line etc

Yes - the theme to the game is reflected a little in your Avatar. The game is a spin on the game that is well known to Print 'n Players; it's Inspector Moss: House Arrest.


I was going to ask the same question about theme. Looking at this link, I would suggest a pocket watch or grandfather clock about to strike midnight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
JoffW wrote:
whatambush wrote:
Is there a theme to the game as this might hint towards an icon. A timepiece is indeed a good icon to use, maybe a thematic timepiece, sundial, moon, Grandfather clock, digital watch, full moon, finish line etc

Yes - the theme to the game is reflected a little in your Avatar. The game is a spin on the game that is well known to Print 'n Players; it's Inspector Moss: House Arrest.


I was going to ask the same question about theme. Looking at this link, I would suggest a pocket watch or grandfather clock about to strike midnight.


I would also suggest using other icons for other items in a similar style. Using just one icon might stand out as odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An outhouse, indicating that your turn is over so you can take a potty break

A boxing bell or ring girl, signaling the end of a round

A factory time clock, showing that your shift is over
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.