Triumph & Tragedy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I use an emergency card to Violate Neutrality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kesavan sittampalam
Singapore
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would think so as I am neither Agressing nir Attacking.

When I entered the country, there were no armed neutral units or enemy units.
Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about Emergency Commands?

You have to declare a VoN to enter a neutral country. This will make it an armed neutral, hence you would be attacking. So no, you cannot invade a neutral country using emergency commands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is correct (thanks for jumping in Scott).

In T&T we call starting a battle Aggressing.
Entering the territory of a neutral is Aggressing.
Emergency Command cannot be used to Aggress.
As well, there is no Combat option under Emergency Command.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos S. Olivares Pérez
Spain
Vigo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But a player can enter in a Neutral area (after declaring VoN) without blocks of that Armed Neutral. So, there is no aggression according to 11.54: "Engaging into an area containing solely Enemy or Armed Neutral units is termed Aggression, and that player is the Aggressor in that Battle for as long as it lasts".

This leaves to another question, can a player use an Emergency Command card to occupy an empty enemy SubCapital or MainCapital?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boschen
United States
Rochester
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that possibly got errataed? As Craig said above moving into even unoccupied neutral territory is aggression.

I believe the quote from the rulebook above got a wording change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, entering Neutral Territory is Aggression.
I believe that was in the errata.
It is also in the 2nd Edition rules.
Really, this is only logical.
Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos S. Olivares Pérez
Spain
Vigo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I did not see in the errata that moving into an unoccupied Neutral Territory is also an Aggression. The only thing regarding Aggressions on the errata is that "A Faction declaring a Violation of Neutrality must Aggress (11.54) into that Neutral's Territory with at least one unit". That sentence was what makes me think that after a VoN, the Violator must engage (enter in a Territory with units of the Armed Neutral) and not just enter into an empty area of the Armed Neutral (a thing that sounded strange). With the clarification that enter into a Neutral Territory (even unoccupied) is also an Agression, things get clearer.

So, I think this also applies to Enemy Territory. This way, Aggression is moving into Neutral/Enemy Territory (regardless there were units there or not). Comparably, you cannot use an Emergency Command for moving into an unoccupied Enemy area. And so: Emergency Command cards may only be used to move units across friendly areas.

PS: Craig, you did it again: Great Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boschen
United States
Rochester
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed Carlos, in all respects.

The emergency command is designed specifically for Russian troops to be able to react to an attack during the winter season. A very tasty bit of thematic chrome, and it plays well.

I've rarely seen the Soviet player use this move, but it can be a great way to dump command cards whose political utility is expired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls