Antonio
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
~Best for Business~
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the time has finally come. I've finally decided to start writing reviews for board games after writing a couple reviews over at VGG. Tinkering with a few things here and there, I think my journey to review board games begins now! (I'm really excited!)

When my friend introduced me to Dominion years ago, it would shape my very life to what I know of board games today. One of my favorite mechanics is deck-building, just the way you can buy cards to use for later is something that really peaked my interest in board gaming. Now, when you decide that deck building was a perfect theme for deck building, I had to take a look at it. Well, given the who deck building via deck building, I think I really enjoyed this game a lot.

Now where's my hammer?

Deck Building: The Deck Building Game
Released: 2015
Greater Than Games (Dice Hate Me)
Deck Building
2 Players (Expandable with more copies)

Components

Deck Building has quite a bit of stuff inside of this rabbit game. In it, we have 50 cards and 15 stain tokens and we have a small rule book. I certainly like the feel of the cards, which, is more likes tiles in your hand actually. Makes sense since we are building a deck. Within these cards we have the following:

6 Rotten Planks with a value of one screw. The worst of the worst.
10 Pine Planks with a value of two screws. Not too bad for a deck.
8 Cedar Planks with a value of three screws. Hey, your deck is getting better.
6 Mahogany Planks with a value of four screws. Only the finest for a true deck builder.
8 Normal Railings worth two screws and 8 Ornate Railings worth three screws. You can't have a deck without some rails!
And we have four stairs that act as a wild railings card worth one screw. How are you suppose to get to your deck if you can't even get up?

As I mentioned before, everything here looks nice, sharp and lumber. The cards feel great in your hands and the screws on the top left corner are easy to see. Overall, for what we have in a small box, A+ building material here!

Gameplay

Deck Building is about the fun of deck building with the thrill of deck building. Each player starts out with one rotten plank and two pine planks in their hand. The rest of the cards are shuffled and put into two piles in the center of the table. Finally, put the stain tokens in the center of the table where its easy to reach.

On your turn, you can do two of the following actions:

Purchase: Face down on the two piles of cards you'll see how many screws it takes to purchase the cards. The number of screws you have are the ones on the top left corner of the cards (you can also see the back of your cards to see how many screws you have). Thus, you can buy so long as you have the amount of screws to do so.

Build: Obviously, you can start building your deck! Take any of your cards in your hand and place one of them in front of you, building your deck. The key part here is that you can also build on top of your opponents deck as well! While you can have a nice deck, you can also put some rotten planks on your opponents side to prevent them from getting points.

Stained: Your final action you can do is staining your deck. With that in mind, you take one of the red tokens and putting them on top of your card, prevent anyone to build on top of them. You can also place them over two cards and by the middle with four cards. You can't build them over three cards since the token would be hitting empty space and that won't work.

Once your turn is over, you place you cards in the discard pile and draw back up to 3 cards and the next player goes. Now, railings are what makes decks stand out. If your deck doesn't have at least two railings, then no point will be scored (and probably your deck is just pieces of wood. Seriously, how do you expect it to stay together?). Now, stairs work a bit different. Mentioned before, stairs act as a wild railings card so it can be worth either two or three screws at the end of the game. Also, if you have a stairs card in your hand, you can place it at the bottom of the purchase pile to gain a third action! So really, it's a powerful card to have if you want.

The game ends when one of the two purchase piles is gone or if you can't draw any cards from your deck. If that happens when the first player ends their turn, then the second player gets one last turn. However, if the second player has no cards left to play, then the game ends.

Scoring is a bit tricky here so I'll try my best to explain how it works. Let's say you built three normal railings and three pine planks. Cards are worth points equal to the number of screws showing, with cards next to each other are worth more if they're the same. You multiply the cards by screws and that's your score total. So for three pine planks, that 6 screws together, times 3, giving you 18 points! However this is broken if you have a different plank in the middle of the set (thus why the rotten planks are horrible). It's good to have it in a row.

Expanding and Grilling

The game itself is great and should provide some quick filler between games, however by making the game an expansion, another copy just adds more cards and more people can play! So with one copy, 2 players can build decks. With two copies of the game, 2-4 players can build decks and so on. Now, another set of cards added to the game is the Grill cards. These cards can only be built on top of a plank. It has a benefit of not only acting like a stained area, but it can also act as a wild plank card! It can be anything from the four planks so it can be a scoring boost to you!

Final Verdict

Deck Building: The Deck Building Game proves to be a fun game in such a small box. The fact that the cards are just about the size of squares make it that much more fun to build! Now, to me, I have a decent size group of friends that play games so I bought another copy of the game so that at least everyone can play and it still works so well from just two players. For a game that jokes about both the theme and mechanic of the game in such a tiny box. it packs a big punch. Now, I like deck building games, Trains being my favorite game with this mechanic but this little game is adorable. It's not everyday I can enjoy a game of deck building with deck building.

I think I'll stop now.

Overall, I give this lovely game an eight and a half out of ten, for proving the building a deck with your deck is just as fun as building a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Badell
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Keep on saving the Multiverse!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great review! Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy building your deck by building your deck using deck building in Deck Building: the Deck Building Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skjoldulfr wrote:
What a great review! Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy building your deck by building your deck using deck building in Deck Building: the Deck Building Game!

You know, "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct and valid sentence in the English language. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ricker
United States
falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will Will's will will Will's wills' will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VanPatten
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sorry but could you help me? I feel like a complete idiot but I cannot figure this game out. Perhaps it's because I've never used the `deck building` mechanic before. But I'm lost.

1) Why would I choose to purchase a card if I'm just going to discard it?

2) Page 2 in the instructions at the bottom says "...discard any cards left in their hand and then draw a new hand of three cards." ...From where? The purchase piles? But then it goes on to say "Whenever a player's Draw Deck is empty..." What is a draw deck? Is that the same as a purchase pile? If so, do I take my three cards from either of them? It doesn't seem like it's the same as a Purchase Pile because page 5 lists both a Draw Deck and Purchase Pile in the End of Game conditions indicating they are not the same thing. There is no mention of a Draw Deck or what it is made of until the bottom of Page 2 and it's not referenced in the Setup picture on page 1.

This game looks like a ton of fun but I'm just lost regarding how to get it going.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CzarAlex wrote:
I'm sorry but could you help me? I feel like a complete idiot but I cannot figure this game out. Perhaps it's because I've never used the `deck building` mechanic before. But I'm lost.

1) Why would I choose to purchase a card if I'm just going to discard it?

2) Page 2 in the instructions at the bottom says "...discard any cards left in their hand and then draw a new hand of three cards." ...From where? The purchase piles? But then it goes on to say "Whenever a player's Draw Deck is empty..." What is a draw deck? Is that the same as a purchase pile? If so, do I take my three cards from either of them? It doesn't seem like it's the same as a Purchase Pile because page 5 lists both a Draw Deck and Purchase Pile in the End of Game conditions indicating they are not the same thing. There is no mention of a Draw Deck or what it is made of until the bottom of Page 2 and it's not referenced in the Setup picture on page 1.

This game looks like a ton of fun but I'm just lost regarding how to get it going.

Thanks!

Yeah, this looks like a fundamental misunderstanding of the deckbuilding genre of games.

There is a Purchase stack (two, really, but it's just one split into two). There is a Draw deck. There is a Hand. There is a Discard Pile.

A player buys from the Purchase stack, which goes to the discard pile. At the end of the turn, they discard any cards in their hand as well. Then they attempt to draw cards from the Draw deck. If there are not enough cards to do so, they shuffle their Discard pile to create a new Draw deck. Cards are going to be recycled constantly in this manner.

Placing a purchased card in the discard pile just means that there's a timer on when it will actually see use.

Players also don't start out with a draw pile, just a hand, which is why it isn't mentioned in setup.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err, lol?! (I guess)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.