Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Starting a Campaign... looking for some feedback/advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So hey - I'm starting a campaign soon with my buddies.

I have all of the expansions and I know I can mix some of the items up. I just wanted some thoughts on a few things:

1. Search Deck between plays: Would you shuffle all of the cards into the search deck each and every chapter? Or - cards we have drawn already - just set aside into a discard pile that remains between chapters until ALL the cards are gone - and then remake the deck? If we do this - we will eventually see every card... (I have pulled out all of the cards listed in the 3 manuals that should be held aside as story items.)

2. Encounter Cards: Should we keep to the encounter cards that are specific to each box/expansion? Or just mix them all up in one big pile and play what we get? Just looking for advice on this one. We will likely play with the normal encounters at the start - unless we feel we are getting to strong etc...

3. Should we limit the number of skills a mouse can get? They keep the abilities from chapter to chapter - and I know they can only play one ability per turn anyway - but will they get just too crazy powerful if we play though Base - then Glorm - then Downwood? And should we wait to use certain mice until we hit the expansions they are in? (I'm cool with that completely and may just do that anyway.)

4. Hmmmmmmmm... I swear I had one more thing I can't think of that might be impacted in a long campaign play like this... do you know what it is?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Search Deck between plays: I've only used the search cards that come with their respective boxes and have always reshuffled them back into the greater deck between chapters. I have not read or heard much discussion about the backwards compatibility of the expansions. I know the intent was to allow players to use the expansion heroes in the base game should they desire (if one can put aside the discontinuities created in the story), but don't know if that extends to the equipment. Let me know how it goes.

2. Encounter Cards: I think you will find a chapter 1 encounter with a caustic roach or mindless rat a bit of rat a bit overwhelming. Good luck.

3. Should we limit the number of skills a mouse can get: If you'd like to ramp up the difficulty, go for it. There are some lesser abilities.

4. Hmmmmmmm: Good point, never thought of it that way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd shuffle them all in again. There are some chapters or cards that allow you to search the cards and a player might know what is still left in the deck while searching through it.

2. I think it might be better to keep it specific.

3. Nah, the cheese you need to spend is already a limiting factor. For example, Filch has Find but I think he's only used it once for the first box. The "powering up" in M&M is definitely quite limited.

4. Don't burn out!
SoylentRed wrote:
So hey - I'm starting a campaign soon with my buddies.

I have all of the expansions and I know I can mix some of the items up. I just wanted some thoughts on a few things:

1. Search Deck between plays: Would you shuffle all of the cards into the search deck each and every chapter? Or - cards we have drawn already - just set aside into a discard pile that remains between chapters until ALL the cards are gone - and then remake the deck? If we do this - we will eventually see every card... (I have pulled out all of the cards listed in the 3 manuals that should be held aside as story items.)

2. Encounter Cards: Should we keep to the encounter cards that are specific to each box/expansion? Or just mix them all up in one big pile and play what we get? Just looking for advice on this one. We will likely play with the normal encounters at the start - unless we feel we are getting to strong etc...

3. Should we limit the number of skills a mouse can get? They keep the abilities from chapter to chapter - and I know they can only play one ability per turn anyway - but will they get just too crazy powerful if we play though Base - then Glorm - then Downwood? And should we wait to use certain mice until we hit the expansions they are in? (I'm cool with that completely and may just do that anyway.)

4. Hmmmmmmmm... I swear I had one more thing I can't think of that might be impacted in a long campaign play like this... do you know what it is?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
So hey - I'm starting a campaign soon with my buddies.

I have all of the expansions and I know I can mix some of the items up. I just wanted some thoughts on a few things:

1. Search Deck between plays: Would you shuffle all of the cards into the search deck each and every chapter? Or - cards we have drawn already - just set aside into a discard pile that remains between chapters until ALL the cards are gone - and then remake the deck? If we do this - we will eventually see every card... (I have pulled out all of the cards listed in the 3 manuals that should be held aside as story items.)

It is your choice as to including the search cards from the expansions while you play the S&R game. Personally, I would only use the S&R cards until I reached the expansion, then would add the search cards from that box into the search deck.

However, all the cards you choose to use should be re-shuffled at the end of each chapter, and also every time the deck is searched. The Special Searches may use a card that has already been played in an earlier chapter. Many of the search cards can be situational, and knowing that it would not be available to be located could influence the decision to search at all.

Don't keep a discard pile between chapters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Targanth wrote:
all the cards you choose to use should be re-shuffled at the end of each chapter, and also every time the deck is searched.[/q]

Shuffle the search deck each time it is searched? The rules just say to take the top card off the search deck - I didn't see anything about shuffling each time - did I miss something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Targanth wrote:
all the cards you choose to use should be re-shuffled at the end of each chapter, and also every time the deck is searched.
Quote:

Shuffle the search deck each time it is searched? The rules just say to take the top card off the search deck - I didn't see anything about shuffling each time - did I miss something?

You are right, I used a bad choice of words. When performing a search, the deck is not reshuffled. However, some cards allow you to search through the deck to find a card of your choice, or a specific card. In those instances, after hunting through the deck, you would need to reshuffle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Targanth wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:
Targanth wrote:
all the cards you choose to use should be re-shuffled at the end of each chapter, and also every time the deck is searched.
Quote:

Shuffle the search deck each time it is searched? The rules just say to take the top card off the search deck - I didn't see anything about shuffling each time - did I miss something?

You are right, I used a bad choice of words. When performing a search, the deck is not reshuffled. However, some cards allow you to search through the deck to find a card of your choice, or a specific card. In those instances, after hunting through the deck, you would need to reshuffle.

Gotcha - thought that might have been the case. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Answer: Pepsi
badge
Me Grimlock?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
1. Search Deck between plays: Would you shuffle all of the cards into the search deck each and every chapter? Or - cards we have drawn already - just set aside into a discard pile that remains between chapters until ALL the cards are gone - and then remake the deck? If we do this - we will eventually see every card... (I have pulled out all of the cards listed in the 3 manuals that should be held aside as story items.)
Increasing the chance of seeing every card isn't necessarily a good thing - there are a few Treachery cards that particularly nasty.

There are quite a few items in the deck that are really good, but only for certain mice so if you didn't have them in your party at the time and already had other items you planned to keep at the end of the chapter, you'd lose out on the chance to obtain those items later.

There are also numerous points throughout the game where there are special searches that allow you to pull a specific card from the deck (some more than once), and if you'd already encountered it previously you would have to decide to pull it from the discard or make it unavailable like all other previously-seen cards.


To put it more simply, I think the game will play much better if you shuffle the discards back in whenever you start a new chapter (or restart a previous one).

Quote:
2. Encounter Cards: Should we keep to the encounter cards that are specific to each box/expansion? Or just mix them all up in one big pile and play what we get? Just looking for advice on this one. We will likely play with the normal encounters at the start - unless we feel we are getting to strong etc...
Glorm and Downwood each come with exactly enough Encounter cards to use only those cards when playing through those chapters, so you don't have to mix them.

The rules do suggest mixing them to increase variety, but thematically it's a much more interesting game if you use only the encounter cards specific to the set/expansion you're in. Running into firebelly newts and fearies during Sorrow & Remembrance or mindless rats and skulkers anywhere but during Glorm would be thematically rather odd, to say the least.

You can always go back and play with mixed encounter cards when/if you replay the campaign later.

Quote:
3. Should we limit the number of skills a mouse can get? They keep the abilities from chapter to chapter - and I know they can only play one ability per turn anyway - but will they get just too crazy powerful if we play though Base - then Glorm - then Downwood? And should we wait to use certain mice until we hit the expansions they are in? (I'm cool with that completely and may just do that anyway.)
If there are specific skills you really want to have on certain mice (who aren't currently in your party) you'll obviously want to save them, but otherwise you don't really *need* to limit them.

However, as you play through you'll tend to find that you really only end up using two or three abilities per mouse with any regular basis. Any beyond that get tacked on "just in case" but only get used once or twice, if ever, because your other more useful abilities take priority.

If you could use more than one per turn and could set up combos it might be a different story, but once you have the first couple abilities established for each mouse in your party there's little point to being stingy with cheese. Spend it on the abilities you have rather than save up for levels that you're not going to use.

Quote:
4. Hmmmmmmmm... I swear I had one more thing I can't think of that might be impacted in a long campaign play like this... do you know what it is?
No, you don't have to reset your characters when you finish one book and move to the next, but it'll make the later ones much more exciting if you do.

By the time you finish Sorrow&Remembrance (or Glorm) your mice will be so jacked-up with abilities and equipment that it will probably make the early chapters of the next book/expansion too easy.

It's been said in the past that every single chapter in the game is playable individually from scratch, and I believe it. Obviously you won't want to reset after every chapter because that defeats the purpose of a campaign, but definitely consider it when starting a new book. If nothing else, it'll be the perfect opportunity for your players to switch characters or to try out some new tactics and strategies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
No, you don't have to reset your characters when you finish one book and move to the next, but it'll make the later ones much more exciting if you do.

By the time you finish Sorrow&Remembrance (or Glorm) your mice will be so jacked-up with abilities and equipment that it will probably make the early chapters of the next book/expansion too easy.

It's been said in the past that every single chapter in the game is playable individually from scratch, and I believe it. Obviously you won't want to reset after every chapter because that defeats the purpose of a campaign, but definitely consider it when starting a new book. If nothing else, it'll be the perfect opportunity for your players to switch characters or to try out some new tactics and strategies.

Awesome point - it'll be a bit before I get there - but I like the idea of using the same characters - but making them "reset" and try a new approach/skills. Might add a level of fun to it. Thanks for the replies!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls