Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This post is mostly from memory. I've attempted 2 plays but I'm still unsure about some of the supply/attrition rules. There was another thread about this question, but I want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly. Just as I thought I was playing correctly, I realize I'm having a hard time grokking this.

To be clear, a unit that is not with range of an in-supply HQ is OOS and therefore cannot be activated? (ie. Japanese use in supply units to capture Midway, but without moving an HQ any Japanese units that remain at Midway are OOS and cannot be activated?)

Quote:
Unsupplied reduced strength air and ground units that are within range of any friendly HQ (whether the HQ is supplied or not) remain on their reduced side. Unsupplied reduced strength air and ground units [that] are not within range of a friendly HQ are eliminated. When determining range from HQ to unit for purposes of determining attrition, the hex path cannot be blocked by enemy units or opposing ZOI. Attrition is calculated and applied simultaneously, so it is possible that opposing units can mutually attrite each other. Note that units with only one side (e.g., Dutch regiments, the US Marine Wake unit) are considered to be on their reduced side.

I am playing the full campaign starting in Dec. 1941. This campaign evolution (or lack there of) below is hypothetical.

US air in the Philippines was eliminated during Operation IAI. SWPac is under Japanese ZOI and OOS. The Malaya HQ in Singapore are still in supply for the time being.

A. At the end of turn two:
>> due to attrition all DEI units will reduce if not already reduced?
>> due to attrition all Australian units reduce if not already reduced?
>> due to attrition all Indian and Burmese units reduce[/floatleft]

At the start of turn three, SEAC is played in Calcutta. During the turn SWPac remains in Manila (an allied blunder?) under Japanese ZOI and the Arcadia Conference is not played.

B. If the board conditions remain the same at the end of turn two:
>> any reduced units (e.g. Australian, Indian, or DEI) are safe from further attrition because enemy ZOI is ignored and the SWPac is within range of all these units(though out of supply because of Japanese ZOI)?

C. I'm sorry if this sounds elementary, but if the questions above are answered in the affirmative, I am trying to work through certain basic strategy implications.
>> to eliminate any reduced enemy unit within range of a friendly HQ one must conduct an offensive against that unit or the HQ, regardless of the HQ's supply status?
>> by the end of turn two its possible for most/all of the western pacific to be reduced even if there are no Japanese offensives?
>> it is in the allied player's best interest to redeploy MacArthur in Darwin as soon as the Philippines are at risk of a forced surrender?
>> without the play of the Arcadia Conference (or a resource card - I'm not sure what's available) the allied player cannot replace DEI/Australian units until after the play of ANZAC in turn 4 (or 3 because new HQs cannot be used for placing reinforcements but can be used for replacements?)?

Thank you for your help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions after I try again tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hammond
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:
This post is mostly from memory. I've attempted 2 plays but I'm still unsure about some of the supply/attrition rules. There was another thread about this question, but I want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly. Just as I thought I was playing correctly, I realize I'm having a hard time grokking this.

To be clear, a unit that is not with range of an in-supply HQ is OOS and therefore cannot be activated? (ie. Japanese use in supply units to capture Midway, but without moving an HQ any Japanese units that remain at Midway are OOS and cannot be activated?)This is correct.

Quote:
Unsupplied reduced strength air and ground units that are within range of any friendly HQ (whether the HQ is supplied or not) remain on their reduced side. Unsupplied reduced strength air and ground units [that] are not within range of a friendly HQ are eliminated. When determining range from HQ to unit for purposes of determining attrition, the hex path cannot be blocked by enemy units or opposing ZOI. Attrition is calculated and applied simultaneously, so it is possible that opposing units can mutually attrite each other. Note that units with only one side (e.g., Dutch regiments, the US Marine Wake unit) are considered to be on their reduced side.

I am playing the full campaign starting in Dec. 1941. This campaign evolution (or lack there of) below is hypothetical.

US air in the Philippines was eliminated during Operation IAI. SWPac is under Japanese ZOI and OOS. The Malaya HQ in Singapore are still in supply for the time being.

A. At the end of turn two:
>> due to attrition all DEI units will reduce if not already reduced?
Yes (unless Arcadia is played).
>> due to attrition all Australian units reduce if not already reduced?
Yes
>> due to attrition all Indian and Burmese units reduce[/floatleft]
No because SEAC HQ arrives turn 2 and HQs are never delayed. See 10.23.

At the start of turn three, SEAC is played in Calcutta. During the turn SWPac remains in Manila (an allied blunder?) under Japanese ZOI and the Arcadia Conference is not played.

B. If the board conditions remain the same at the end of turn two:
>> any reduced units (e.g. Australian, Indian, or DEI) are safe from further attrition because enemy ZOI is ignored and the SWPac is within range of all these units(though out of supply because of Japanese ZOI)?
Yes

C. I'm sorry if this sounds elementary, but if the questions above are answered in the affirmative, I am trying to work through certain basic strategy implications.
>> to eliminate any reduced enemy unit within range of a friendly HQ one must conduct an offensive against that unit or the HQ, regardless of the HQ's supply status? Yes
>> by the end of turn two its possible for most/all of the western pacific to be reduced even if there are no Japanese offensives? Not in Burma, but the Australian and Dutch units that can be reduced will be.
>> it is in the allied player's best interest to redeploy MacArthur in Darwin as soon as the Philippines are at risk of a forced surrender?
Good question, I am not qualified to answer this one
>> without the play of the Arcadia Conference (or a resource card - I'm not sure what's available) the allied player cannot replace DEI/Australian units until after the play of ANZAC in turn 4 (or 3 because new HQs cannot be used for placing reinforcements but can be used for replacements?)?
Dutch never get replacements. Australians can receive replacements on turn 3 when ANZAC arrives (again it cannot be delayed).

Thank you for your help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions after I try again tonight.

Hi Christopher. I answered, in bold font, as best as I know the rules, but I'm still trying to master the game too. If I am wrong someone will correct me!

Cheers,
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rob pretty much nailed this. Just two quick comments.

Quote:
to eliminate any reduced enemy unit within range of a friendly HQ one must conduct an offensive against that unit or the HQ, regardless of the HQ's supply status?
Keep in mind that certain starting units will go away when the Philippines and the DEI surrender. There are special rules for India as well, but that's not so common.

Quote:
it is in the allied player's best interest to redeploy MacArthur in Darwin as soon as the Philippines are at risk of a forced surrender?
Not necessarily. The one turn of attrition for Australian units can't be avoided by pulling the HQ out early. You do get to use his full range for reinforcement placement sooner if you pull him out. On the other hand, pulling him out eliminates the potential threat of a Plan Orange reinforcement to the Philippines. As with many decisions in the game, it's a trade-off you have to weigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, myself, typically play the Arcadia card for the reasons described. Personally, I also like placing MacArthur in Darwin once released. However, the Japanese side sometimes delays the takeover to keep MacArthur stuck in Manila.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.