Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,

Just finished watching the second season of true detective. I watched because I loved season 1, I loved the characters, the story, the scenery, the dark spirit behind it all, etc etc.

For the second season, just the same, I absolutely loved it, I most of all enjoyed the characters in this series, it's no doubt about them and not so much about the plot. Only small hindrance was that the dialogue sometimes sounded a little over the top. It screams "David Lynch"!! And I absolutely loved that. (superlatives galore robot)

So needless to say, I was a little "shocked" (as far as that goes ) about all the negative ranting and criticism about this season.
Am I really the only one who loved this season?

Complaints about the difficulty of the plot, about the characters doing out of character things. (really?) etc etc...

Is this just some US vs rest of the world thing? A difference in excpectations about tv-series in general?

Maybe people cannot accept that sometimes, yes you're screwed and thing go bad and no, there's no good ending.

I know I'm a little peculiar in what I do and don't like in tv-series but wow.... didn't expect these kind of bad vibes about True Detective S2.

At some point, I even read a critic who stated that it would be a hard job for the producer / writer to get the "trust" back from the viewer. Is there such a thing I mused? Weird.

Me, I just watch a series and if it looks uninteresting to me or just plain whatever, I just stop watching and that's it. But trust? weird concept when it comes to viewing.

Watcha people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
cool I quite enjoyed Season 2. Admittedly not as much as Season 1, but I was not at all disappointed with 2. Those critics only show their ignorance of the source material--the American traditions of Noir and Pulp. Or perhaps they are dismayed by the fact that the show is using a pretty challenging format in utilizing different stories/casts each season.
The show is really too "smart" for most audiences, some critics clearly not excluded. Remains to be seen whether this will result in its being "too smart for its own good".
Or maybe the criticism stems from the fact that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the White Hats don't ride off triumphant into the sunset this time around. Justice clearly HASN'T been delivered by the conclusion, and this may deter some viewers more used to the "Good Guys win, Bad guys go down" tradition of US Cop TV.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
[Spoiler Warning]

I watched both seasons and enjoyed season 1 more than season 2. For me, season 2 had pacing issues and the crime that opens the story seems to be far less important than the individual portraits of the four main characters.

I did enjoy the fact that the murder of Ben Caspere was ultimately unrelated to the corruption/criminal activity of the Vinci city officials such as the shady real estate deals, illegal influence with the exploitation of women, and their larger plans to enrich themselves.

What I thought was the weakest moment of the story was how Ray (Colin Farrel) made the connection that the boy in the photo of the two children (whose Mother was brutally murdered by Ben Caspere) was Leonard from the movie set from episode 3. Basically, Ray even says, the child looks like him? Really (okay I guess maybe)? I felt that was really forced (and a little unbelievable) and was a pivotal moment that broke open the mystery/case to Ray and Ani in the final episode.

I think my biggest personal issue was I wanted to see how the crime investigation unfolded while juxtaposed with the characters personalities and issues, much like how season one felt to unfold.

For me personally, season two felt almost entirely a character driven story with the crime investigation being a secondary storyline meant only to drive the four main character narratives.

With that said the individual character stories were very good and ultimately is what saved the series from being a failure to me personally. I did love the ending, Ray's attempt to contact his son failed before his death, he didn't even get the peace of mind to know that his son was really his son, just tragic! Paul's meaningless death in the face of black mail and his personal self-loathing, and Ani's deep seated issues/emotional scars of abuse, abduction, and exploitation which was gradually revealed to the viewers that made her the person she was in the story, and a bit scary with a blade!

Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input here.

For me personally, the fact that the series are mostly about the character development is what makes them so worthwhile.

True about the far-fetched pivotal event with the guy from the set but in my experience many movies and series suffer from this type of things a lot more than this one.
Also, it might be possible that a twist like this happens. The brains of people work in mysterious ways.

Looking forward to season 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Season 2 quite a bit. It was a darker ending that 1, but I like dark so that wasn't a problem for me.

My only real gripe is that they tried to develop too many characters. Season 1 just had the two. Developing Season 2's four "main" characters forced them to stray from the solving of the crime and how the case affected each of them.

A minor complaint I have is the setting. I didn't like the city backdrop nearly as much as the backroads of Louisiana from Season 1. I hope they return to telling the stories of state police, or perhaps even Feds, in Season 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what everyone else has said to complain about season 2. Season 1 was great because the story was actually scary, and there were less characters to follow. I never really cared about the season 2 story, and I never cared about any of the characters or their stories (though I think my favorites were Vince Vaughn and Colin Farell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with season two is not the plot or the fact that the "good guys" don't win.

The problem is the terrible dialog, and the terrible deliveries of terrible dialog by some terrible actors. I like Vince and Colin, (the wife was terrible; once we figured out that she was the actress from that awful show, Black Box, we heaved a sigh of relief), but they didn't even show up for this.

I have to go back to Max Fischer's production of Serpico to find worse delivery of bad dialog.

like noir a lot, and I like pulp when done with the right tone. But when you deliver corny dialog, you need an edge to it. Vince Vaughn seemed like he was on Xanax the entire time, and Colin Farell's performance felt like he was spending far more time suppressing his accent than he was emoting.

I am really upset about season 2. I guess season 1 set the bar so freaking high it isn't possible NOT to be let down a bit, but, come on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think basically they tried to do too much in ssn 2. They wanted us somehow to want to care about all these characters, even though they were all paper-thin. I think I went through 3 episodes without knowing anyone's names (may or may not be an exaggeration). Then we were supposed to actually care about how the crime was going to be solved, and not get totally confused about what the heck was going on.

Season 3 I want to see less characters (so better character development and backstory) and a story/crime that I actually am interested in seeing play out. If ssn 3 is instead more like ssn 2, then they really have lost my trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls