Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a lot of emails and newsletter from Mantic. They are filled with Kings of War and other games that might be good but of no interest of mine. And then there's a oneliner about Dungeon Saga box being soooooo cool.

So where's the info? What's going on? Even Jake has gone silent at Quirkworthy.

I'm especially interested to hear if anyone has tested the advanced ruleset. Anyone?

Or is there some magic well of information I'm not aware of?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
I get a lot of emails and newsletter from Mantic. They are filled with Kings of War and other games that might be good but of no interest of mine. And then there's a oneliner about Dungeon Saga box being soooooo cool.

I'm especially interested to hear if anyone has tested the advanced ruleset. Anyone?

Cheers!

Nope, but have you seen the really neat box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
Nope, but have you seen the really neat box?

Ooooooh, shiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received my copy from the Kickstarter campaign yet. They are currently putting the lid on Kings of War and Dreadball(? I think) they said that shipment would be delayed by a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquilaprime wrote:
I haven't received my copy from the Kickstarter campaign yet. They are currently putting the lid on Kings of War and Dreadball(? I think) they said that shipment would be delayed by a few weeks.

I'm waiting for my KS copy too. To me it is just curious that there's absolutely no info about the advanced ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this game but there's a troubling lack of details on the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
I can't wait for this game but there's a troubling lack of details on the gameplay.

Wait, you are okay with Mantic kickstarters but not Fantasmagoria Kickstarters???

I am honestly puzzled here why is one better than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Mordjinn wrote:

Cheers!

I'm not aware of anyone who's been able to say they were part of the testing of the advanced rules, though via various forms of media it is possible to discern a fair amount of information about them. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I can tell you that the majority of the 'advanced rules' are about progression and character development to such an extent I wonder if the term advanced rules is really the correct one. The compendium will also contain information on the various forms of AI play as well as the bestiary for most of the Kings of War range, however from what I've been able to gather and via the limited responses I've had on the matter I wouldn't hold much hope for much in the way of general rules additions or increased complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Jake was working in the last months very hard on DS, so I think it is the reason why he does not find time to write on Quirkworthy.

It is not the first time that Mantic does not give much answers about expansions. I hope some informations will be revealed during the DS week, but I'm not really expecting much. I hope the 'The Adventures Companion' with the advanced rules will appear in the DS week.

They will send us the KS stuff, but hold back officially informations about the expansions in the internet, so they look more fresh for retailers and new customers. Don't really know if it is the reason, but only explanation I have for this behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
After trying the demo rules and game, I really struggled to figure out how they could add any real character progression to the system. The dwarf already had a high defense (4), with the stats lining up to a d6 (having to roll over the armor values with a d6) How would you handle adding a magic shield, magic armor, magic rings, defensive spells, gaining levels and such. I asked on Quirkworthy how Jake was planning to handle this in the advanced rules, but never got a response, so I lost interest.

I wish Jake luck though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Laurent
msg tools
I second these thoughts.
The beta rules look promising: just the right amount of depth added to the system to make it more interesting than HeroQuest (no offense intended to this brilliant forefather of Dungeoneering games) whilst remaining apparently fast and smooth. But what of the other rules, and particularly the levelling-up mechanisms?
Will these only work with the expansion box where you get (I suspect) to create your hero from scratch on the supplied blank character sheet (if the photos are to be trusted)? How will this balance out with the full array of monsters beyond the few undead provided in the base box?

Has there been any update on the actual release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I third the thoughts. I missed the kickstarter and pre-ordered the game from CSI based upon watching all of the Beasts of War videos on the DS reveal weekend. I imagine that it will play pretty well as they demonstrated (with an overlord player and the basic rules), but I am a little concerned that I have not seen more detail about the solo/co-op and advanced rules that I (and I suspect many others) are interested in. Hopefully these all got adequately developed and play tested and we will hear more soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the coop/advance/solo rules are in the adventurers addon aren't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls