Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
...is to start drinking heavily!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the Flight expansion with Promo pack #2 and the updated base game cards.

I noticed that there are no replacements for Unstable DNA and the card backs are noticeably different between the editions.

Is Unstable DNA not meant to be played with the second edition of the base game and/or with the Flight Expansion? Or can it be played (assuming opaque backed sleeves) with the new edition? Will there be an imbalance due to the changes between the two editions if Unstable DNA is used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that none of the promo cards, from the first or second editions, are balanced or have necessarily even been playtested. Given that, yes it can be played with the second edition cards, but it may (continue to be) imbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
My understanding is that none of the promo cards, from the first or second editions, are balanced or have necessarily even been playtested. Given that, yes it can be played with the second edition cards, but it may (continue to be) imbalanced.

Robert puts it well. If you want balance, use the cards in the box. If you want variety beyond that, use promos.

I know from personal experience that some of the promos have had some playtesting. But there's a reason that they are promos, in a separate envelope, rather than base game or expansion cards, in a game box. They have not been subjected to stringent testing for balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested Unstable DNA over 100 times personally and heard back from several hundred other playtests before deciding not to include it in the base set.

All of the North Star Games designed promo cards have also been tested somewhat extensively (though not as much as Unstabe DNA) but the promo cards designed by Kickstarter backers were not tested internally at all. We did spend 30+ man hours discussing all of the submission and debating which cards would be most balanced, interesting mechanically, and thematic. We had hundreds of submissions to go through which is why the final KS created promo cards are so good.

So I'm quite pleased with the quality of all the promo cards. Even so, Evolution is balanced for tournament play, so the boxed sets are all tested extensively as a set. Changing a few cards has the potential to dramatically change the gameplay. Sometimes the balance is broken. This doesn't mean it's not fun to play. It's fun to play all the way until you discover the flaw (if there is one). So have fun with the promo cards and post any set that goes particularly well together.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls