Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Stockpile» Forums » General

Subject: Decision to use player boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Svanstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Stockpile yesterday, and it was well received within the gaming group.

I'm wondering about the player boards. My initial reaction is that it's an unnecessary complexity to have to keep the stock cards divided into two piles on the player board. It's easy to forget to multiply by two, and it's necessary to look in two piles when deciding how many stock cards to sell. If there were special "2x" cards for the stocks, you could just substitute cards when a stock splits, and it would also be possible to keep all the stock cards in hand at all times.

I was curious about the decision to use player boards. Was it a question of production costs (5 cardboard boards vs 60 extra cards) or is there also some kind of gameplay strategy in having the player boards?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Integer wrote:
We played our first game of Stockpile yesterday, and it was well received within the gaming group.

Good to hear

Integer wrote:

I'm wondering about the player boards. My initial reaction is that it's an unnecessary complexity to have to keep the stock cards divided into two piles on the player board. It's easy to forget to multiply by two, and it's necessary to look in two piles when deciding how many stock cards to sell. If there were special "2x" cards for the stocks, you could just substitute cards when a stock splits, and it would also be possible to keep all the stock cards in hand at all times.

I was curious about the decision to use player boards. Was it a question of production costs (5 cardboard boards vs 60 extra cards) or is there also some kind of gameplay strategy in having the player boards?

Good Question!
First off, you are right, it could have worked with extra cards instead of player boards. We strongly consider doing this. Now I not claim every choice we make is correct, but I'm glad we did this.

Here are a couple of reasons why we went the player board route:
1. player boards are good references for player colors
2. player boards were helpful as a player aid. We have the phase order and the 6 forecast values which are super helpful for new players. Given this could have been replaced with a player reference card.
4. With expansion that add other stock, we would have to include a lot of extra cards. (We are working on an expansion)
5. Stockpile already has a ton of different cards, we thought the less you have to add the better. We felt it might be too fiddly to have to find which stocks to exchange out.
6. Cost - 60 extra cards is probably more expensive. It would probably depend on your card quality.
7. As part of the history of the game's development, we used to have x4 and x8 which would be too difficult to do with cards.

As you stated there would be pluses for going with cards instead, but I'm still glad we went with the player boards.

You might find as you continue to play that things like "It's easy to forget to multiply by two" will probably go away.

Happy Gaming!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Svanstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight! I find it very interesting to learn about the thinking behind these kinds of decisions. I can see that most of these reasons are valid.

sethvanorden wrote:
We have the phase order and the 6 forecast values which are super helpful for new players.
Oh, I hadn't even noticed that it was something other than just random scribbles. Great!

Let me also take the opportunity of feedbacking that I find the rulebook to be very clear and easy to understand. Highest marks from me!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls