Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game with more players. When there are more tiles to choose from it makes the pricing and buying of tiles much more interesting.

The 2 player game as is then is a bit lacking so here's my proposal:

Start:
- Each player starts the game with 2 gold (before taking their normal turn of gaining 5).
- Each player does not get an axe.

Then just play by the rules. You end up placing 3 tiles each turn instead of 2. It works fine and I think improves the 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting variant. However, does the pricing still work as good?
Lets say you put 5$ on each tile. You will earn 1x5$ and loose 2x5$ for your other 2 tiles, so net loss of 5$. Your oponent buys the tile for 5$, so he looses also 5$. So same loss for you and your opponent. If you put 1$ on each tile, you loose 1$, again 1$ win for the sold tile, 2$ loss for the unsold tiles = -1$. Your opponent will also loose 1$ for buying the tile, i.e. same loss for both. No matter if you put 5$ oder 1$ on each tile, you both have the same loss. With 2 selling tiles there is a difference if you put 5$ or 1$ on each tile.

Solution: In your variant, allow each player to buy 0, 1 or 2 tiles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the axe in the 2 player game is that if I draw a tile my opponent needs, I just axe it. If I must keep it in my variant then I have to price it right.

It almost never makes sense to put the same amount on every tile so I'm not sure why your examples matter. This is because there is very often tiles that no one needs and can be priced very low.

In the 4-5 player game this isn't true. There are a lot more tiles out including the bonus scoring tiles. This means every tile is probably valuable to at least one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was just an easy example to point out, that you can take advantage of the fact, that your opponent can only buy 1 tile at most. With 3 tiles for sale and you can be sure that your opponent can only buy 1 tile, you sometimes (see example above) don't price the tiles fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same idea after playing it for the first time today. We only play with two. We didn't think there was anything "lacking" just wanted an extra round or a chance for more tiles. This was our solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried 3 games with the variant, playing with no axe, being able to buy up to 2 tiles from your opponent and starting with $5, i.e. you have $10 after the first income phase.

Can’t say if it makes things worse or better, but it certainly boosts scores (I’ve gone up to 152 once) and the gap between my g/f and I was quite big every time (between 25 and 60 VP). I tend to win the vast majority of our 2p games so I’m not sure how representative this is.

Just a feedback. I will continue to try the variant and will post here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls