Mike Foley
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a late comer to Hecatomb, and picked up some boxed product. I cannot seem to find an online FAQ on any card rulings. Most issues we've been able to figure out; however, this one still remains a mystery. So, I'm posting this question as I am hoping my BGG brothers can give us an answer.

In the expansion Blanket of Lies, card #26, Hastur the Unspeakable has conditional text that seems like it could be interpretted in a strange "knowing before you play it" sort of context.

The text in the text box on the card is as such:

<<Whenever you can play a god, if this is in your deck, pay Hastur's cost to retrieve and play it.>>

Normally any conditional text is pretty obvious, this makes it seem like whenever you're playing this deck with Hastur in it... that if you say outloud I'm cast "something out of my deck"... and pay 6 then go search your deck you can retrieve and show the opponent this card and play it. Is that how it's supposed to work? It seems like if it's ruled any other way then Hastur has really no conditional ability unless you had a second copy and just wanted to replace it with the one one in your deck. It makes really no sense otherwise because you can't have more than 1 god in play. And by swapping in another one it doesn't do anything to warrant doing it.

Hopefully somebody on here has seen something official on how this is to be ruled. It's stumped us and have no problem if it's just odd and allows you to cast Hastur out of your deck. Otherwise, it's a pretty useless ability for a God.

Thanks and looking forward to an explanation.

MF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I have no official rulling, but in the times I played this game we did the exact way it is written: if you would/could play a god card you could search the deck and play Hastur. This makes him relly strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Foley
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and I believe it's supposed to follow the H.P. Lovecraft/Cthulhu mythos where if you were to mention Hastur's name he'd be apt to appear. So, that's probably what was intended, it's just a bit nebulous. I think there was some mechanic in Magic The Gathering on an older release around that time that did something akin to that too.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.