Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am testing some order cards and my comprehension on how to apply them and one thing soon appeared. Its about priorities for moving vehicles towards unit.

1st mission as exemple.

Half-track receive the Unhit AI closest to a mission objective or unit > move towards. (Card 21).

Is closest target is SMG Rifles in K07.
In the rules for vehicles we found this:
AI vehicles with bonus moves will attempt to flank a Player's Units
before entering into Close Combat.
AI vehicles will not move into a hex that restricts their bonus
movement (e.i. Light Woods or Buildings) unless the Vehicle is executing
a Low Risk Move.

So the half-track will move towards the SMG and try to flank it, without entering DM hex. He wil also try to move out of a fire-zone(5.3).

So he can go to K09(flank and towards the SMG(same distance as starting position) or he can go to J06, J07, J08; he will then be in short range combat and closer to the SMG than with the option above.

So which one is the priority move?
I am guessing for the out of fire-zone/flanking one.

Well, in fact both option are interesting but I would prefer to play the AI as intended, much as possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
I am testing some order cards and my comprehension on how to apply them and one thing soon appeared. Its about priorities for moving vehicles towards unit.

1st mission as exemple.

Half-track receive the Unhit AI closest to a mission objective or unit > move towards. (Card 21).

Is closest target is SMG Rifles in K07.
In the rules for vehicles we found this:
AI vehicles with bonus moves will attempt to flank a Player's Units
before entering into Close Combat.
AI vehicles will not move into a hex that restricts their bonus
movement (e.i. Light Woods or Buildings) unless the Vehicle is executing
a Low Risk Move.

So the half-track will move towards the SMG and try to flank it, without entering DM hex. He wil also try to move out of a fire-zone(5.3).

So he can go to K09(flank and towards the SMG(same distance as starting position) or he can go to J06, J07, J08; he will then be in short range combat and closer to the SMG than with the option above.

So which one is the priority move?
I am guessing for the out of fire-zone/flanking one.

Well, in fact both option are interesting but I would prefer to play the AI as intended, much as possible.

Thanks!

Since the flanking move does not actually get the vehicle closer, and it's not a low risk move but a direction to "move towards", then it should move into one of the hexes that is closest to the Unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, sir.

By the way, if the target unit was in the open, should the Half-track move into close combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When a vehicle has a choice, it will move to the closest hex of a Unit. If more than one hex is closer, then it will try to move into a flanking hex.

In your example, the half-track cannot flank the Unit and be be adjacent to it, so the German half-track will just settle for being adjacent in the Soviet SMG's firezone. The half-track could move into any of the hexes, you mentioned but would most probably move into J07 facing the SMG since it allows it to keep the Soviet Rifle I am assuming is in L03 in its LOS.

If the order had been a 'Low Risk Move' order instead, the half-track would have not moved into short range but would have chosen to move into hex K09. This hex takes it out of the firezone of all enemy Unit's and puts it on the flank of the SMG.

Let me know if this makes sense and if you have any further questions.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
Thank you very much, sir.

By the way, if the target unit was in the open, should the Half-track move into close combat?

If the target was in the open, the half-track would first try to get on the Unit's flank. If it could not do this, then it would move into close combat.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!
Everything makes sense.
Now I am ready to crush the AI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In your example, the half-track cannot flank the Unit and be be adjacent to it, so the German half-track will just settle for being adjacent in the Soviet SMG's firezone. The half-track could move into any of the hexes, you mentioned but would most probably move into J07 facing the SMG since it allows it to keep the Soviet Rifle I am assuming is in L03 in its LOS.

Why wouldn't the vehicle move into J08, where it would not be in the fire zone of the rifle in L03? That would seem to be the safer move while maintaining equivalent firepower on the SMG in K07.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob, you are correct. 5.3 says if there are multiple places for the AI to go, it will go somewhere that takes it out of an enemy's firezone. So in this case it would move to a hex where the rifle could not see it.

Thanks, Bob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now I am ready to crush the AI

Once you have crushed the German AI in Scenario #1, try switching to the Soviet AI. My limited experience has been that it is tougher to beat the Soviet AI in this scenario, but maybe it has been the luck of the die rolls and damage chit draws for the Soviet forces. Those KIA and Destroyed chits are just as brutal in the solo approach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.