Hide
14 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: can there be no cylon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E A
msg tools
Hi, I think that this game is going to hit the table for the first time this weekend.
One quick question: can there be no cylon at all?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, there can be no Cylon before the Sleeper Phase, but there is guaranteed to be at least one after.

The Exodus (and possibly Daybreak, I'm not sure) expansion introduced a mechanism whereby there might be none. This is so that if someone gets executed, they're not guaranteed to be human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
The Exodus (and possibly Daybreak, I'm not sure) expansion introduced a mechanism whereby there might be none. This is so that if someone gets executed, they're not guaranteed to be human.
It is also because fulfilling Personal Goals of Exodus will replace one with a new loyalty card. Also, with 5 or more players there will be at least one cylon even with the extra loyalty card.

But, this is for the base game, so yes, there will always be the correct number of cylons cylon loyalty cards at the end of the game. Unless, of course, you mix up the loyalty deck with the remaining cylon cards and everyone becomes cylon at sleeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
But, this is for the base game, so yes, there will always be the correct number of cylons at the end of the game.
There exists a play-by-forum game in which one player was dealt both Cylon cards, never handed one off, and won anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
There exists a play-by-forum game in which one player was dealt both Cylon cards, never handed one off, and won anyway.

The tension and paranoia that caused (I think it was Starbuck?) was hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
It is also because fulfilling Personal Goals of Exodus will replace one with a new loyalty card. Also, with 5 or more players there will be at least one cylon even with the extra loyalty card.

But, this is for the base game, so yes, there will always be the correct number of cylons cylon loyalty cards at the end of the game. Unless, of course, you mix up the loyalty deck with the remaining cylon cards and everyone becomes cylon at sleeper.

No, I've never mixed up the Loyalty Deck with the Cylon cards, not at all. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

The tension and paranoia that caused (I think it was Starbuck?) was hilarious.
theres been more than one game in one of my former regular groups where halfway past the sleeper phase, the setup person would get paranoid and acknowledge that there may only be 1 or 0 Cylon cards. We're proven wrong when 2 cyclons reveal one way or another, sooner or later. robot

Despite being proven that the deck was correct over and over again, we still suspect that the Loyalty deck was done wrong in a future game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a three player Exodus game once, no one was a Cylon and the Human fleet was destroyed anyway because none of us trusted each other at all, and we spent so much time and energy trying to flush out the Cylon that we never recovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bates
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
David Goldfarb wrote:
a1bert wrote:
But, this is for the base game, so yes, there will always be the correct number of cylons at the end of the game.
Link to that game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
Link to that game?

Here. It was a 6 player game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaxomoxay wrote:
Hi, I think that this game is going to hit the table for the first time this weekend.
One quick question: can there be no cylon at all?

thanks!
Without any details, you tend to get "no cylon" with 3p or 4p games if the cylon is strong-armed into doing human stuff, he's not ready to reveal yet, or otherwise plays too nice for too long, effectively acting as a human.

Not quite what you meant, but in some cases, this has occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bates
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
downeymb wrote:
Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
Link to that game?

Here. It was a 6 player game, too.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a guy in our gaming group who has messed up the loyalty decks on occasion. Once, every player ended up a cylon by the end of the game (and that was a WEIRD game because I don't think anyone had revealed by that point). I have also played a game where by mistake no cylon cards were dealt to players (but one remained as the last card.)

However, what I find more frustrating is when there are supposed to be 2 cylon players but only one card ever makes it out (and the last remaining card is the other cylon card.) It has happened multiple times and it really makes it tough for the one cylon who thinks he has support but actually doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
We have a guy in our gaming group who has messed up the loyalty decks on occasion. Once, every player ended up a cylon by the end of the game (and that was a WEIRD game because I don't think anyone had revealed by that point). I have also played a game where by mistake no cylon cards were dealt to players (but one remained as the last card.)

However, what I find more frustrating is when there are supposed to be 2 cylon players but only one card ever makes it out (and the last remaining card is the other cylon card.) It has happened multiple times and it really makes it tough for the one cylon who thinks he has support but actually doesn't.

If you're not using any part of the Conflicted Loyalties module then you can just skip the rule about having an extra YANAC card. The purpose of it is to add some more mystery to when the Cylons become active. When you're playing with usual Exodus rules then you can have Cylon agents pop up as a result of executions and it makes it harder to game BSG because it makes it harder to do things like plan for when Cylons will come out.

The odds of not having the right number of Cylons is 1/9 in a 4 player game, 1/11 in a five player game, and 1/13 in a six player game. If you want to reduce those odds even farther then have Boomer and/or Political Baltar in the game. I think it's a fair trade-off for the extra tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls