Popular Tags: Cartas [+] Regras [+] Naves [+] [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for an Orion Ship that could be more than a nuisance. Tell me if you think it's a good or a bad idea.

Suppose we came up with a "standard spaceframe" or a few. That is we give it a standard set of attributes, say the same stats as the Excelsior. Now give it no perk.

Since the Orions are not developers, but are users of other people's tech, suppose they can pick a perk from any other ship in the game for an additional 2 points. Then suppose they can use any TECH or WEAPON upgrade from any other faction at no cross faction cost.

Each ship is an individual, they are seldom alike. Yet because of the wide variety of tech and weapon upgrades available, they instantly (as a faction) have a wide variety of cards and potential perks. They are an instant viable faction.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are seven different Orion ships seen here:

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Orion_starship_classes

I fight against Orion fleets on the Wii's Star Trek Conquest all the time, usually these two ships:

There are pics of other Orion ships on Memory Alpha and you can google lots more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love the rendering of the Orion ship from "Journey to Babel" that Eaglemoss did for their own miniatures line - seriously, who wouldn't want this on their tables?

As to the OP's concept, though, the biggest possible issue is the same one that's always plagued cross-faction play in this game - it's impossible to predict exactly what kind of synergies it can produce. Since it's just limited to Weapons and Tech, that'll limit some of the more problematic aspects, although Faction Pure/Penalty Pure players are unlikely to adopt the cards just on principle.

I'm personally looking forward to what you produce, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
There are seven different Orion ships seen here:

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Orion_starship_classes

I fight against Orion fleets on the Wii's Star Trek Conquest all the time, usually these two ships:

There are pics of other Orion ships on Memory Alpha and you can google lots more.

Second one is from the FASA Starship combat game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Second one is from the FASA Starship combat game.[/q]

It's the Orion Wanderer class. In Star Trek Conquest, it is a cruiser. It also might have seen some actual screen time on tv on starship consoles, as seen here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I had my ship template open, and was feeling kind of bored this afternoon, so I figured I'd try a quick ship implementing your concept:

Since the scout ship I picked is a decidedly un-Excelsiorish 100m speedrunner, I had to try something very different with the numbers, but stayed within TOS levels. The final result is a ship that, as in "Journey to Babel," can easily outspeed the Enterprise, but sacrifices fine maneuverability in that absolute quest for speed. Otherwise, it's (hopefully) exactly the concept you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, but now you need a Captain

I borrowed the ability of a Scum pilot from X-Wing. Seemed rather appropriate for this character.

The idea of an Optional Faction card is awesome. Wish they had done something like that for the various mini-factions, and even things like Cardassians and Breen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
The idea of an Optional Faction card is awesome. Wish they had done something like that for the various mini-factions, and even things like Cardassians and Breen.

Yeah, that's exactly how it happened, I first wrote it up when I was printing out some of Thot Prad's Cardassian Cards and I needed a faction rules card, but it's been getting a lot more exercise with the playtesting on my big Breen expansion wave.

Which I should probably get around to releasing soon...

Anyway, back on the Orion stuff, I always admired that X-Wing card, it gives a low skill Captain a place in the meta, which is a rare opportunity in STAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see it!

Would have been so much better if they had made Breen/Cardassians their own factions and just had a 'Dominion Combined Forces' as some sort of special rules card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Was sleeving cards from the ISS Avenger and thought one of them would make a nice addition to this "set":

Aside from changing her faction to Orion, I also made her a standard "Tactical Officer" to better fit with the other Tactical Officer cards that came out recently.

I also made an Elite Talent - based on the Journey to Babel episode.

Some other Orion symbols:

Orion Colonies

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_Colonies

Found another version as well - from Fasa :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work with these cards, as always - the Orion Agent really made me do a double take, at first I was confused what an Andorian was doing on that card, then I remembered the twist. Thelev would make a neat Andorian/Orion crossover card, though two fanon factions on a single card is a pretty trippy place for anyone to be.

As to the symbol, I saw the mask-style symbol when I was picking out a faction symbol, as well as the SFU skull-and-crossbones symbol - ultimately, even though the OS monogram is far from the classiest symbol out there, I picked it because of its instantly recognizable silhouette, which I consider the most important aspect of picking any symbol; for example, when it comes to the Gorn, I vastly prefer their helmet-style symbol from Starfleet Command to the SFU triangle (too simple), the STO whorl (too busy), or their exceptionally awkward FASA symbol.

In the end, though, I really only did the one Orion card for fun; if you and/or Carbon Dragon produce more Orion cards and want to use a different symbol, I'd be happy to change the one I placed on my card to match it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - glad you liked it

I just posted the symbols for you both, as I had never really looked for any Orion faction symbols before and thought I'd share with the class I rather dislike the Purple on, the green one looks a bit better, but still isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing (though, maybe it is to an Orion). I prefer the existing symbol for the OS myself (hence why I did the cards the same as yours).

I'm still waiting to see what CD comes up with - I'm thinking those little scout ships should have a steal crewmember ability (though they can't use the card, so I guess more of a discard ability), maybe a Scenario card to represent the stealing of crew and trying to get away, and certainly a Dancer distraction card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
and certainly a Dancer distraction card

Very popular choice.
So nice they made it twice, even.

And I get you on the symbols, sometimes it's nice to have extra graphics to sneak on the hull of a ship for theme, or to give a little flavor to an LCARS display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL - yes, very nice Lucky for Picard he is not as vulnerable as Riker and Kirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wright
Australia
flag msg tools
Watch Enterprise season 4 The Orion interceptors are clearly not one offs. Also Armadillo on shapeways makes one suitable and designed to be used with his attack wing stuff. In Enterprise and even TOS the Orions seem to have advanced tech and have ships capeable in tos of warp 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Orion we ever saw in the show was on the HD recreation and that was a sort of spinning wheel thing. That's why FASA and SFB had their own wildly different designs. SFB's were neater designs. In SFB the Orion's thing was tacking on weapons and systems from everybody else. You never know what you'd be facing when an Orion showed up. They also had the double engine power thing which could make them very powerful for a while. Not sure how you'd do that in STAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.