8 Posts

Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dark Alliance and fighting for Master Strikes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Anez
Venezuela
flag msg tools
What happens if, as a result of the scheme Dark Alliance, a Master Strike comes up and both Masterminds have an ability that wants to put it besides them? For example, Nick Fury and Uru-Enchanted Iron-Man both attach the Master Strikes to themselves and improve for each one. For more esoteric examples, Galactus and Stryfe team up would be between buffing Stryfe or destroying the city, or worse, Galactus and Mysterio, with one trying to put the Strike on the city and the other on its Tactics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baldwin
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
Given that the Master Strikes resolve in the order of the current player's choosing, I would say that the first Master Strike takes precedence. For example, if you resolve Nick Fury's Master Strike first, then you've stacked the Strike next to him. Then, when resolving Uru-Enchanted Iron Man's Master Strike, you would demolish each player normally, but then you would not stack the Master Strike next to him, due to the fact that it is already next to Nick Fury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always take the "spirit" of the rule. The MMs are designed to get stronger as they go, so I consider them both to have the card next to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I always take the "spirit" of the rule. The MMs are designed to get stronger as they go, so I consider them both to have the card next to them.

While an interesting interpretation I can see the conundrum created by this scheme especially with Mysterio and Galactus. There are two ways I think it could be played out.

The first would that the main Mastermind takes precedent over the second. Because there is now way you can have the card be in two places at once unless you pulled off some sort of quantum state of the card and which at that point I would be more curious on how you are pulling this off, but I digress.

The second would be, and the one that I am leaning more towards, because we have seen this happen time and time again with questions like these and either or, that the current player who drew the card chooses which Mastermind's effect goes off. Every time it has come to something like with a choice the developers have more often than not said that the current player chooses.

All right with that said I would like to hear if anyone else has a different or better interpretation than mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MasterGM wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

While an interesting interpretation I can see the conundrum created by this scheme especially with Mysterio and Galactus. There are two ways I think it could be played out.

The first would that the main Mastermind takes precedent over the second. Because there is now way you can have the card be in two places at once unless you pulled off some sort of quantum state of the card and which at that point I would be more curious on how you are pulling this off, but I digress.

The second would be, and the one that I am leaning more towards, because we have seen this happen time and time again with questions like these and either or, that the current player who drew the card chooses which Mastermind's effect goes off. Every time it has come to something like with a choice the developers have more often than not said that the current player chooses.

All right with that said I would like to hear if anyone else has a different or better interpretation than mine.

That makes sense I guess. I've been playing 2 masterminds as a house rule for years now, so the fact that it's official is weird. I'd do this: whoever strikes first gets the card. The current player chooses who strikes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Hix
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I would play it so both Nick Fury/Iron Man are considered to have the master strike stacked next to them. The masterminds are supposed to be getting more difficult throughout. For the Mysterio/Galactus combo I'd still do both by giving Mysterio the master strike and Use a wound etc to represent the city being destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shix52 wrote:
I would play it so both Nick Fury/Iron Man are considered to have the master strike stacked next to them. The masterminds are supposed to be getting more difficult throughout. For the Mysterio/Galactus combo I'd still do both by giving Mysterio the master strike and Use a wound etc to represent the city being destroyed.

That's how I'd play it but I'm not sure it'd be legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I'd do this: whoever strikes first gets the card. The current player chooses who strikes first.

For combinations like Galactus and Mysterio, having the current player choose fits with some of Devin Low's other rules clarifications. That's probably a good way to go until we get a better idea.

Otherwise, I think the Master Strike would be considered to be stacked next to both Masterminds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.