7 Posts

Tigris & Euphrates» Forums » General

Subject: FFG Double-sided Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J E
msg tools
mb
I’m considering purchasing Tigris and Euphrates, but it’s usually just me and my wife so the typical player count will be 2. From what I’ve heard the game plays well with two albeit with the criticism that the board is so large that it doesn’t lend itself to much conflict. So I was wondering, with the new version from Fantasy Flight, is one side of the board used for two players (smaller perhaps) and the other for 3 and 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No - actually the "alternative" side has even more starting points for treasures. If you want to tweak the game for two players, there are some variants in the forum (from what I remember the most recommended one includes removing some tiles as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also an old 2-player variant map called "Nile" in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J E
msg tools
mb
Hrmph - seems like a missed opportunity, especially if you're going to go through the trouble of making it double-sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eskewj wrote:
Hrmph - seems like a missed opportunity, especially if you're going to go through the trouble of making it double-sided.

The board has been double sided for years. The Fantasy Flight reprint is functionally identical to the Mayfair 2008 edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
why is this thread posted in the "News" forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eskewj wrote:
From what I’ve heard the game plays well with two albeit with the criticism that the board is so large that it doesn’t lend itself to much conflict.

The 2-player game could be played without much conflict, but I don't see the point in it. I'd had dozens (hundreds?) of online games under my belt when I first played 2-player, and found it fascinating and fun. Same game, but greatly different strategy and tactics from the 3- and 4-player versions.

If you've not played much "regular" T&E, it's very possible the 2-player version will not be exciting at first, because you'll be learning the game and not really know what can be done.

Here's something I post every few years when the subject comes up:

It plays differently with 2, 3, and 4 players, and it's excellent with any of those numbers.

At first I was resistant to the 2-player version, but then it clicked for me. It really shouldn't devolve into a tile-laying race because soon one player will realize he's behind and be forced to take action. The 2-player game is usually a tense buildup to a key moment -- and then boom! All I can say is you better be structurally sound and ready for that moment, or you're probably done for.

Rex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls