Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/114837/rules-german-e...) states that the snake oil token behavior is:

Quote:
This legendary elixir enables you to play again right away. The player discards the token then moves the Outlaw token as per the basic rules but does not turn it over: it's his turn to play once again.

The rulebook also says that the only time you activate a token is:

Quote:
If the location contains no more cattle at the end of this raid, then the player MUST apply the effect shown on the Action token present at the location.

This means that when you land on an empty space containing a snake oil token you get to go again. But there are no cows to steal, so how do you decide how many spaces to move?

While playing with my daughter I decided that I would simply move the same number of spaces as got the player to the location with the snake oil token. Thus if you moved one space to get to the location with the snake oil token, and it was empty, you'd discard that token and move one more space.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a post from 2014 Bruno Cathala seemed to indicate that you could leave one or more cows on the snake oil space, but the rules don't appear to allow this. Can anyone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are misunderstanding a basic rule. You cannot ever move to an empty space. Whenever you move to a non-empty space, you take all the cattle of a single colour, move the player token a number of spaces equal to the cattle you took, and then flip it to the other players side and end your turn. If you take the last cattle of a space, making the space empty, then you activate the token. So for snake oil, let's say you move to a space with only two brown cattle and the snake oil token. You take the two cattle, as usual, move the player token two spaces (equal to the number of cattle you took, as normal) then instead of flipping the player token to the other side and ending your turn, you keep it on your side and take another turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding a basic rule. You cannot ever move to an empty space. Whenever you move to a non-empty space, you take all the cattle of a single colour, move the player token a number of spaces equal to the cattle you took, and then flip it to the other players side and end your turn. If you take the last cattle of a space, making the space empty, then you activate the token. So for snake oil, let's say you move to a space with only two brown cattle and the snake oil token. You take the two cattle, as usual, move the player token two spaces (equal to the number of cattle you took, as normal) then instead of flipping the player token to the other side and ending your turn, you keep it on your side and take another turn.

Thanks a lot... This is exactly how it works !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:

Thanks a lot... This is exactly how it works !

No problem! I enjoy your games a lot, thank you. If you ever need a playtester or a proofreader for a game let me know. I am quite good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.