Subject: Risk, Battlefield, Dice, and Explosions* - a Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dash Justice
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Risk Battlefield: Rouge - Review

Risk Battlefield: Rogue is an example of what us 'cool' people call 'Ameritrash'. I personally rather like said trashy games, so I figured one more couldn't hurt. You'll quickly find that the Risk name is tacked on purely for familiarity. It is as similar to Risk as an apple is to an orange. They are both dice infested war games, the similarities pretty much end there. (the latter two are both fruit, if you were wondering)

The Facts:
The game has an MSRP of $30, and is available only online or at Target. (Though some locations had it steeply discounted after only a few months) The components include a customizable board made up of six double sided tiles, ten dice, a deck of upgrade cards, and various
cardboard tokens. Of course, the highlight is the 80 figures: 20 of each color, with 5 each of the four classes, namely: Assault, Support, Recon and Engineer. [See image below]

The Gameplay:
There are three rulesets, but unless you're a 'n00b' you'll play Commander Mode. Gameplay features several aspects from the video game, including aircraft, squads, tanks and destructible landscapes. Each class gives your squad specific powers, to be brief: Assault lets you move faster, Support provides better defense, Recon let's you attack further and Engineers provide defense when paired with tanks. You either play 1v1, 1v2 or 2v2, and games average 90 minutes. On your turn, you follow these steps:

1 - Draw Cards: You draw cards depending on what zones you control. Each card has a timeline of the five steps, with highlighted areas to tell you when you can play it. Each card also lists one of the four class types, Squad Leader, or All, signifying which units can use that card. Leadership cards are the only way to get more units. Weapons cards help you in combat, and Air Support cards let you use aircraft.
2 - Move Aircraft: Aircraft can move two tiles, they're not restricted by zones.
3 - Dogfight: Move your plane into the same tile as an opponent's and they fight.
4 - Move Squad: You can move one squad, a squad consists of up to four units. You move all or part of the squad to any space in that tile or to any zone adjacent to it. [See image below, right] Ex: Grey can move to any space with a check mark.
5 - Combat: You can attack once with any squad. You can attack any adjacent zone. [See image below, left] Ex: Orange attacks Grey. Since Orange has cover, they roll and upgraded (orange) attack die. Grey plays a Weapon card that let's them roll an upgraded defense die. After subtracting the number of blocks from hits, grey suffers two casualties.

The victory conditions vary depending on the scenario. You're either fighting for control of certain zones, reaching a certain zone or controlling a set number of zones.

The Good:
- Not just another Risk rehash.
- Squad based gameplay and class powers work well.
- The subtitle 'Rogue' left hope for expansions if the original is a success. (But given that fact that it's been two years, I doubt it'll happen)

The Bad:
- Deceptively marketed as a Risk game. (granted, Battlefield: The Board Game probably wouldn't have sold as many copies)
- Spending the entire first game correcting people when they try to play it like classic Risk.
- Only nine scenarios are included, so the game could get stale unless you make your own. (I've have created 'Rush', 'Conquest' and 'Classic Risk' variants, see them here.)

The Verdict:
Screw It|Meh|[Get It!]
I like it, a lot. Even though it's completely different from what I expected. However, I feel that for a lot people this is really going to be a hit or miss. Just don't let your bias (either for or against) the Risk brand get in the way.

Compared to:
Risk (2008)
[Equal]
To be fair, they play very differently, Risk is slower paced with an emphasis on area control while Battlefield has a quick turnover and more focus on troop management. I can't say I prefer one over the other.

*BOOM (edited to add variants)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game reminds me of a scaled down version of the old Avalon Hill game "Storm Over Arnhem". I agree that it is a good game and that it has nothing to do with Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Becerra
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also created game modes Capture the Flag is the favorite. the base game is fine but creativity can improve a lot. waiting for your game modes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can currently be purchased on Amazon for under $9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.