Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Keppens
Belgium
Meldert
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A situation occurred in our latest game: A player had completed regional cards 1 - 6 in numerical order, so he has a 7 and an 8 left in his hand. In the final round he could complete his 8 and he claimed he was playing according to the rules as 8 is higher then his previously played 6. Was this a legal move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
New Zealand
Napier
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was going to ask this question. So, to clarify: is the only way to skip a card to discard it, or can you just skip one knowing you'll never complete it? I couldn't find anything in the rules that says anything either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A card is skipped if a card is skipped. Going from 6 to 8 is skipping 7.

See page 6, Completing a Regional Card, paragraph 2.
"Players must complete Regional Cards in order from Era 1 to Era 8."

In this case, skipping 7 is out of order.

My suggestion is to spray that person with a water gun filled with lime jello.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
A card is skipped if a card is skipped. Going from 6 to 8 is skipping 7.

See page 6, Completing a Regional Card, paragraph 2.
"Players must complete Regional Cards in order from Era 1 to Era 8."

In this case, skipping 7 is out of order.

Yeah, but on page 4 there was a section on how to "Skip an Era", and an example where you get rid of your Era 2 card and draw an Era 4 card. Presumably you'd then claim Era 3, having no Era 2 in your hand. Page 6 makes no mention of the skip rule, which appears contradictory. It seems your intent was that the lower Era Regional Card in your hand must be completed first (except, in a 4-5er game, for Eras 1 and 2?

As a followup, are you allowed to take the Skip an Era action multiple times?

And another, for absolute clarity: does "In a 4- or 5-player game, a player may complete Eras 1 and 2 in any order" mean that I could Skip Era(s), holding on to Era 1 for a while and doing others, the finally go back to do that Era 1 card? That is, does "any order" mean "any order", or that "either 1 or 2 could be first (and the other second), followed by 3-8"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
New Zealand
Napier
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
Whowhowho, cool down Jerr
1) I would suggest (to the publisher) making the rules clearer. At lest mention to look up the skip rule on page whatever when mentioning the 'in order' rule
2) I DID play them in order as 8 is bigger than 6 and I didn't go back to 7
3) I didn't do an extra action on the previous turn. If I had known about that rule I would have done the 'skip' action on that turn. Only I didn't know that was the way it was intended and since there was no 9 to replace my 7 I would be throwing away (I thought that was the whole point of the skip action: upgrading cards you didn't want to do. I couldn't upgrade, only throw away) so I didn't see any need to do it.
It was clear the game would end soon (1 or 2 turns) and I had built 0 of the tracks 7 I needed to finish contract 7 so it was very obvious that I had no intention of completing contract 7. I had, however, almost finished all the track for contract 8, which I did on my last turn.
4) Doing so didn't break the game and didn't change the end score positions, so no one was hurt.

No need for jello, only clearer instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any further clarification on this issue? I have pretty much the same questions as the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Is there any further clarification on this issue? I have pretty much the same questions as the OP.

you need to play 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 then 7 then 8. you either spend a turn playing the cards in order or spend a turn discarding the cards in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have 4 & 5 in hand, can I discard 5 and take a 6 (keeping the 4)?

If I have 7 & 8 in hand, can I discard 7 still? It says you have to exchange it for the next highest card, but there isn't one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I have played and the way I think the rules work:

Joe Casadonte wrote:
If I have 4 & 5 in hand, can I discard 5 and take a 6 (keeping the 4)?

At any point in time you are in a certain era (1 through 8). You need to either play the card from the era you are in or you need to choose to skip it. the other card in your hand is a preview of the next era you will be in.

So in this example, you can choose to discard the 4 and skip that era and take a 6. you can't discard the 5.

I don't have the rules in front of me so I can't tell if it is 100% clear. the intent seems clear though.

Quote:
If I have 7 & 8 in hand, can I discard 7 still? It says you have to exchange it for the next highest card, but there isn't one.

Yes, you can still discard the 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls