Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this game. The only reason I would pick it up though (besides the fact that it looks fun) is because I want another game to play with my girlfriend.

My girlfriend has analysis paralysis sometimes and can get frustrated when a game has too much of a take that component.

I wanted to know a few things:

1-is this the type of game people take a while during their turns to make decisions?

2-are there enough decks in the game that are not so vicious (I know how the game works) that you can have some variety just playing with more polite cards?

3-does this game work well 2 players?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
1-is this the type of game people take a while during their turns to make decisions?

Sometimes. The main decisions come during the buy phase, especially if you have lots of options for the money you have. Occasionally action phase can get complicated but usually not so much with beginners.

Quote:
2-are there enough decks in the game that are not so vicious (I know how the game works) that you can have some variety just playing with more polite cards?

With just the base set, there's 25 kingdom cards. Of those 5 are attacks - Spy, Witch, Militia, Thief, Bureaucrat. Spy and Bureaucrat are very tame attacks, don't do much except slightly weaken up your next turn (usually). Thief is generally pretty weak but can appear devastating to new players, and well can be devastating with the wrong luck. Militia and Witch are generally quite painful. Militia is probably fine to play with most of the time, but if you can play them every turn it starts to get frustrating.

So, basically, of the 25 kingdom cards, you can probably use about 22-23 without any issue, and only 2-3 are somewhat nasty. That's still a lot of variety, and if you added an expansion after deciding you like the game, you'll push that up even higher easily.

Quote:

Extremely well. Many people have racked up over 10,000 plays online, the majority being 2 player. I would say the game works best at 3, almost as well at 2, and less well at 4-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
AnalyticGamer wrote:

At first games are typically 30+ minutes but that can drop quickly after you play sets multiple times, the more you play in general and as you get to know the cards.
That is unless you ofcourse have an opponent that always has a habit to over-analyse. What also doesn't help if your opponent only starts to think about his/her cards when it is his/her turn.

AnalyticGamer wrote:

Yes. But if you like the game add one or two expansions to add additional game mechanics and overall variety. Prosperity, Guilds would be good choices (also given the amount of attack cards included in those sets).

Per set: Attack cards / Total "kingdom" cards :
Base 5/25
Intrigue 4/25
Seaside 5/26
Alchemy 2/13
Prosperity 3/27
Cornucopia 4/18
Hinterlands 3/26
Dark Ages 7/39
Guilds 2/13
Adventures 5/30
Promos 0/6

AnalyticGamer wrote:

Yes. But the good thing is it also plays well (and quick) with 3. With 4 it is still good but time does start adding up. More then 4 is not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Richmond
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:

Like previously mentioned after you get the feel of the game it can fly. Usually my wife and I both take our first 4 turns within 60-70 seconds.

AnalyticGamer wrote:

If you never play with the attack cards of the base set you would still have over 970 Billion combination of 10 Kingdom cards. That should keep you pretty busy.

AnalyticGamer wrote:

Very much so. My wife and I play all the time. We are evenly matched so we usually do a best out of three set. House rule is the loser has to kiss the winner. That rule works best in 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try out the entire base game for free at playdominion.com. With the original web version (https://www.playdominion.com/Dominion/gameClient.html) you can select specific cards and play against opponents you choose. It also has excellent tutorials.

The download version doesn't yet allow you to choose specific opponents.

Give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. AP does happen - played a game today and my sister is a bit guilty of this - as mentioned previously, it mainly happens in the buy phase. Generally during other player's turns you have time to look at your own hand and make your own decisions for what you're going to do.

2. The base set isn't really vicious at all - really only 3 or so 'attack cards' and they can be easily countered (we always include a moat or chapel at the moment for this reason).

3. Excellent at 2 player. We mainly play 3, but it's still really fun at 2.

For me, my wife and my sister this game is excellent. We don't own any other deck building games, but everything I hear about other deck builders is that they're still all chasing Dominion. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I most often play it with 2 players and it's great. One need not include aggressive cards if one so chooses and AP shouldn't be much of a problem IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
I actually purchased this today.

I already own Marvel Legendary so I was a bit worried that this game would feel out-of-date or too similar...

Dominion has shot to one of my top games and I can see me getting very into this series.

I love the quick gameplay but tactical nature; and shuffling your deck is simply outstandingly fun.

In terms of your queries:

1: The first few times can be a bit AP-ish trying to decide on your early > Mid game. But once you have that plan down; you tend to book it through. In just 4 games my partner and I went from 35mins per game to 15 minutes for our last one (almost taking our turns at the same time though still waiting for phases / effects to all occur).

This game plays great with 2 player and I was quite simply annoyed with myself I have waited this long to play and appreciate this game.

2: As others have said; there really are only 3-5 (depending on definition) vicious decks. The other 20 or so are purely about your own strategic understanding of how the cards interact together.

I will say this however, after a few games a seasoned gamer (if you are) may already feel like they want an expansion or two to up the complexity.

But the base game is fun, and the variety of the cards is pretty good. There's plenty of "x draw / x action / x buy" cards; but then you have fascinating ones like the Gardens, or Library.

Heck we personally love the Spies too!

3: It works GREAT two players. The game feels almost designed for two players. I can imagine it works okay to good with 3. But sadly any more than that will drag the game down as far as we can tell.

This game is all about developing and building your own stuff and seeing what different actions other players take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Verduzco
United States
Brownsville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays quite fast, as said before, you can get many action cards at the same time and many options, but don't expect a turn during more than 1 minute per player.

There are few attack cards and they aren't that bad, but if you don't want them, don't play them.

I play it 99% with my gf, and 1% online against another dude, so, yeah, it works amazing with 2

In conclusion. Get it!

P.S. I have only played the base game online and Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
You can try out the entire base game for free at playdominion.com. With the original web version (https://www.playdominion.com/Dominion/gameClient.html) you can select specific cards and play against opponents you choose. It also has excellent tutorials.

Give it a shot.

In order to play on the website, do I need to sign up? When I click on the options nothing happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

Give it a shot.

In order to play on the website, do I need to sign up? When I click on the options nothing happens.
Oh yeah. There may be an issue with that. You used to have to create an account, or log in with Facebook or Google. I think you can no longer create an account, but you can continue to play if you have one.

You might have to use the download version, and then you'd have to make an account. The major drawback with the download version is that you cannot select someone to play against for now. (I guess the other major drawback is that if you want to buy the expansions, they cost twice as much as they used to.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hall
msg tools
Whizkid wrote:
AnalyticGamer wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

Give it a shot.

Oh yeah. There may be an issue with that. You used to have to create an account, or log in with Facebook or Google. I think you can no longer create an account, but you can continue to play if you have one.

You might have to use the download version, and then you'd have to make an account. The major drawback with the download version is that you cannot select someone to play against for now. (I guess the other major drawback is that if you want to buy the expansions, they cost twice as much as they used to.)

You can select someone to play with now. The only problem is you can't see who's online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.