Cornish Smuggler» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yew Boy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Kill
United Kingdom
Broadstone
flag msg tools
I landed a shipload of goods with a CO two places distant. The Landing Risk exceeded the Discovery Level by seven. I played Yew Boy! and started to move said CO seven places away - might have discovered another player's goods, but didn't. All my opponents screamed that that can't be right.
On reflection I thought that if CO1 would normally move two places and CO2 moved the remaining five places, perhaps Yew Boy! could only interfere with one of those movements whilst the other CO moved as normally.
Which interpretation of the rules is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Jasper
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi Ron,

Good question! Yew boy! "Play as a Customs Officer is being moved: You decide where this Customs Officer moves."

This should affect the movement of one of the customs officers rather than both. If there was a situation where the nearest CO was seven spaces away then this would be fine, but in your situation this should have been a movement of two.

The idea behind the Yew boy! card was playing on the idea of operating within a small community - where someone you know would see you, give you a shout, and lead you on completely a distracting path (like seeing a friend on your lunchbreak who then 'coerces' you into the pub and you lose the whole afternoon.

Figured if it happens now then it's reasonable to think something similar would have happened during the 18th century as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bright
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for this, Henry.

Yew Boy! card was played in a 3P game last night in response to a Sale (same principle as with a Landing Discovery). Two of us thought that this card could apply only when a player was moving a CO as an action (or via a Secrets card) not when the CO was being moved as a consequence of an action (ie, Landing or Sale).

The attempted play was out-voted 2:1. Were the two wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls