Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone give an comparison of both and maybe a recommendation for one? I realize these may be completely different games that are only similar in theme, but that doesn't make choosing one (to start with) any easier!

As I understand it, Dark Moon's traitors are 'infected.' Is that the extent of it? Just a label that makes them the bad guys? Or does being infected have game effects (such as racing against time before suffering a death via chestburster?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The infected are trying to destroy the station. There's no clock for a burst re or anything--they're trying to destroy it before the uninfected can complete enough tasks to get rescued. If they're unrevealed they're trying to quietly sabotage. If they reveal their action set changes and they can make direct attacks.

I can't comment on the comparison because I'm not familiar with the other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Theseus is a 2-player game at heart. It CAN be played with 3, but that is only recommended if all three players know the game well. It CAN also be played with 4, but only in team mode, and I would also only recommend it if all players are familiar with the game.

This should be a consideration, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Theseus is a 2-player game at heart. It CAN be played with 3, but that is only recommended if all three players know the game well. It CAN also be played with 4, but only in team mode, and I would also only recommend it if all players are familiar with the game.

This should be a consideration, here.

That is a great piece of info that I was unaware of. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with Theseus is that, once it is your turn, the board has changed. This is not a problem in a 2-player, since it is always a back and forth. In a four-player, however, the board changes A LOT in between plays - so much so that you will probably have to completely reconsider what you wanted to do and how to do it (if at all possible), when it is your turn. The game is mancala-based, and even if each player only moves ONE piece when it is his turn, removing one from one place or adding one to another place (which is what he will do) changes the situation in both places significantly! Which is why four-player is only done in team mode - otherwise it would be impossible reaching any goal, I guess, if not purely by chance...

This is also the big problem in 3-player games. You have six locations, and after your two opponents moved, the situation in 3-4 locations (sometimes 2, sometimes even more) has completely changed.

Add to that a face-down deck of individual abilities for each player (holding 15 of possible 30 cards), and you need to be aware what your opponent can do in order to play well, because otherwise these cards will also totally hit you by surprise.

Now, for the casual gamer, playing along with someone (or one team) winning is okay. For the goal-oriented gamer, though, I think that playing the 3-player without knowledge is quite frustrating. We did this once, and it was a total desaster (we didn't now the game well). Never played with four players, though...

I don't want to diss Theseus at all - I love it, for what it is and what it isn't. If you got 4 dedicated players, chances are you can and will enjoy the game, if you play it regularly and had the chance and time of getting into it in 2-player beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The only similarity between the two games is that they are science fiction themed. Other than that they are COMPLETELY different games and essentially impossible to compare. Which is a better choice for you is dependent on what sort of experience you're looking for.

It would be like trying to compare Settlers of Catan vs Dominion. Where do you even start?

I'd suggest watching a video about each to get an idea of what the games are like. Hopefully from there you'll get an idea of whether you're interested the gameplay they provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
The only similarity between the two games is that they are science fiction themed. Other than that they are COMPLETELY different games and essentially impossible to compare. Which is a better choice for you is dependent on what sort of experience you're looking for.

Which is what I suspected, but I didn't realize how completely different they were until the responses here.

Theseus sounds like a great game, but not what I expected, and not for my group. But I think I know exactly what to expect out of Dark Moon (a quicker reskin of BSG), which should be a hit for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could be of service to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls