Zach

Austin
Texas
msg tools
There are plenty of conversations about the lack of quality of the expansion, but what I haven't heard yet is how does this stack up to Lost Legion or Krang? Cost, content, and enjoyment wise? If Wiz-Kids were to magically make the production quality equal to the base game, would this be a 'must buy'?

I'm really on the fence about purchasing this (primarily because of the quality) and will probably be passing for now and taking a 'wait and see' outlook. Unless you can convince me that it's worth overlooking the issues and sell me on the expansion itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luxury wrote:
There are plenty of conversations about the lack of quality of the expansion, but what I haven't heard yet is how does this stack up to Lost Legion or Krang? Cost, content, and enjoyment wise? If Wiz-Kids were to magically make the production quality equal to the base game, would this be a 'must buy'?

I'm really on the fence about purchasing this (primarily because of the quality) and will probably be passing for now and taking a 'wait and see' outlook. Unless you can convince me that it's worth overlooking the issues and sell me on the expansion itself.

My opinion is that this is a must-buy for Mage Knight fans. You certainly don't *NEED* it, but the new character is great and there are a myriad of new and interesting scenarios. If you are just looking for variety in enemies, this will also provide some of that.

I think that most fans of the game will (and should) suck up the disappointing component issues and enjoy the design and content for the excellent variety and enjoyment they add to the game. Workarounds are really not difficult at all.

I wrote a session report a few days ago detailing my experience, in case you want to check it out.

If you love Mage Knight, then you can also just keep playing what you have since there is a TON of replay in the previously-released content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play yet... But the components are very nice indeed. Cards are consistent, once sleeved.

It is 'annoying' to see enemy tokens smaller than usual. However, this is an extremely minor issue, in practice. The rulebook does not assume that you would normally mix the new and old enemy units together at all. On the contrary, new units are either dealt out separately or excluded from the game.

The possibility of mixing tokens together for older scenarios (or scenarios where one faction is not used) is mentioned, and here the size difference could be more of a nuisance, however there is plenty of value to be had without using this option.

Besides, if you want to play with Volkare and faction tokens, for example, there is always the option to replace old units with new ones, never mixing them. Mixing is just one option offered among many, and probably not the most natural one anyway.

The scenarios look good, and change the feel of the game by adding strategic options, without changing core gameplay, and without introducing many new things to remember. The best thing is that no bloat is introduced. Well designed expansion.... although some sentences could have been worded better in the rulebook. A few rules are missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luxury wrote:
To me, it is an auto-buy even with the quality issues.

The new tokens are excellent. Sure, they are really smaller and the green doesn't match the base game and LL. It adds a lot of green tokens, and they are really different (and visually a lot more appealing) that the old orcs. Protectors add some strategy to group fights (it may be a little fiddly), the zombies are cumberstone but with three attacks 1, and so on...
Some more tokens put enphasis on block, which is a good thing because it is sometimes underemployed (it's usually better to take wounds than use cards blocking).
Brown tokens are really strong, however and may make dungeons (and sumonners) harder than previously

The new character is quite interesting, I like him, even if he feels less powerfull/straightforwards than some others. He moves fast, and that may be a great help in some scenario (not quite for solo conquest).

The new mechanic that comes with the new ennemy tokens is really well made. I love getting a faction token and then having to decide which is the best use: the usual +1 fame, or keeping it for a good combo, or using it to get +3 influence, which helps recruiting good units even with bad reputation.

I didn't notice the card quality difference. A few were slightly wraped, but nothing too hard once sleeved. Less difference between tezla and LL than between english/french version!

Sure, I'll probably buy some bags (wonderful ones are available there) (thanks for the fix! but i don't regret purchasing this expansion. I may understand the anger when you pre-purchased it and it comes with so many production problems. But personnally, i knew the issues and decided to buy anyway and i think it does worth the price it costs (not so much). but i don't regret purchasing this expansion. I may understand the anger when you pre-purchased it and it comes with so many production problems. But personnally, i knew the issues and decided to buy anyway and i think it does worth the price it costs (not so much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Empirically Awesome Games! http://empiricallyawesome.com/
badge
Empirically Awesome Games! http://empiricallyawesome.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
Luxury wrote:
To me, it is an auto-buy even with the quality issues.

The new tokens are excellent. Sure, they are really smaller and the green doesn't match the base game and LL. It adds a lot of green tokens, and they are really different (and visually a lot more appealing) that the old orcs. Protectors add some strategy to group fights (it may be a little fiddly), the zombies are cumberstone but with three attacks 1, and so on...
Some more tokens put enphasis on block, which is a good thing because it is sometimes underemployed (it's usually better to take wounds than use cards blocking).
Brown tokens are really strong, however and may make dungeons (and sumonners) harder than previously

The new character is quite interesting, I like him, even if he feels less powerfull/straightforwards than some others. He moves fast, and that may be a great help in some scenario (not quite for solo conquest).

The new mechanic that comes with the new ennemy tokens is really well made. I love getting a faction token and then having to decide which is the best use: the usual +1 fame, or keeping it for a good combo, or using it to get +3 influence, which helps recruiting good units even with bad reputation.

I didn't notice the card quality difference. A few were slightly wraped, but nothing too hard once sleeved. Less difference between tezla and LL than between english/french version!

Sure, I'll probably buy some bags (wonderful ones are available there but i don't regret purchasing this expansion. I may understand the anger when you pre-purchased it and it comes with so many production problems. But personnally, i knew the issues and decided to buy anyway and i think it does worth the price it costs (not so much).

Fixed that link for you Neat store, thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, thanks for the link. I'm probably on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought this expansion for the added scenarios. I am very happy in this regard, the developers have done an amazing job creating and balancing out several new scenarios that change up the feel of the game and really add some variety to the game. I had played a game of Blitz Conquest before and decided there would be no appeal for this scenario in my solo sessions before. Now with the new scenarios I really enjoy the two new "blitz" campaigns they have created, giving me an option for slightly shorter games .

The new character is also wonderfully balanced and different from any of the others that came before, focusing on movement and versatility. Once the cards are sleeved you don't notice the difference in thickness quite as bad.

The new faction enemies are along with their rewards feel very unique and change the feel and pace of the game. The wonderful new level up system works great and can really help add another dimension to the regular scenarios. Want to play a high level Blitz game? Just start yourself out at level five and take down a Volkare guarded megalopolis.

Overall I would say that if you are a Mage Knight fan and look for a little more variety then this is a must buy. Even if you don't buy it there is no reason why you shouldn't incorporate the new level up system along with the Ambush and Pursuit variants. The Lost Relic scenario can be played with base game components as well.

While the component issues are disappointing, I sleeve my cards and play with drawbags anyway so the effect has been minimized for me. I would say this is worth it for the new scenarios and character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Add my vote in with the "great game" camp. I really enjoyed the factions scenarios, even though my first attempt I got my butt kicked.

As far as overlooking components go, it depends how much this sort of thing bothers you. I noticed the differences immediately when unboxing, but it is doable for me.

The way I see it, Wizkids didn't create the game system. They are only publishing the components. For me, personally, the component quality is manageable. I've definitely seen worse. That being said, they (Wizkids) should be ashamed of themselves, and I won't buy another brand of theirs. They should be thanking their deity that they were blessed with the talent that created this game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls