8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: After a squad critique.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,I'm after opinions of this list for a tourney in September. Any weaknesses you can see?

Fel with PTL, autothrusters

Vader with title, ATC and predator

Firespray bounty hunter with tactician

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good list, don't forget Tactician works with the aux arc as well.
An argument could be made for dropping the Firespray to give Fel Stealth Device or a Hull/Shield Upgrade and Vader Engine Upgrade, making both of them a lot stronger individually, but the only replacement for the BH I can come up with right now would be Turr Phennir with VI and AT. That would change the list radically, though and I would guess not for the better. The classic Vader/Turr/Fel is now playable, but still really unreliable and dicey, so I would expect your list to do well.

You could also keep Vader and Fel as they are and swap the BH for either an HLC or a Hacksaw shuttle. HLC would mean you give it HLC (obviously), Advanced Sensors and an Engine Upgrade, enabeling the best mobility you can have with a shuttle. Hacksaw is a shuttle with FCS, Gunner, Tactician and Engine Upgrade. This is probably the strongest option the Empire has regarding control, as it is capable of double stressing a ship at range 2 without any drawbacks for yourself. Still not quite as strong as a BTL-A4 Y-Wing with R3-A2, but never the less pretty cool. It has reasonable mobility (don't ever use that 2 turn, you can boost to do that without the stress!) and more reliable damage output than the HLC version. Of course the Lambda shuttle isn't a ship you can just pick up and be good with, it requires some getting used to. It has the added benefit of leaving the list at 99 points, addressing the one weakness you have.

That weakness is not having an initiative bid. For both Vader and Soontir it is crucial to know where your enemy is. Soontir is someone you probably will meet, so being able to give your opponent the initiative can win you the game. You can also counter that weakness by being good at predicting your opponent, but that is never infailable.

I would recommend getting set on a list soon and to get in as many practice games as possible. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers! Thanks very much for the feedback Tobias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 766777. Optix47
  • 1d20 =
  • (3) =
  • Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:23 pm
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the list out tonight against a yt2400 - Eban , e-wing - Ethan a'bhat and y-wing - Dutch with ion turret. (Sorry for poor spelling of names - I don't have the cards in front of me).

I won with vader and the firespray still on the table. I made a few mistakes (fel died cos I tried to be clever and made a white manoeuvre when stressed meaning he had no tokens to aid his defence) but the list seemed strong and balanced. More practice next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuttle with the Emperor! I think you can fit an Ion cannon on it, too. Good luck ever killing Turr (or Vader) with one free evade every attack, and one free evade per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Shuttle with the Emperor! I think you can fit an Ion cannon on it, too. Good luck ever killing Turr (or Vader) with one free evade every attack, and one free evade per round.

I'll try with the shuttle/emperor on thursday practice and see how it goes. I've never really had much luck with the shuttle though - someone gets behind it and it's all over very quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Optix47 wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

I'll try with the shuttle/emperor on thursday practice and see how it goes. I've never really had much luck with the shuttle though - someone gets behind it and it's all over very quickly!

Tried the list with Fel (had enough points for a stealth device this time), vader as above and a shuttle with ion cannon and palpatine. Vader and Fel were very strong but the weak link is the shuttle. Palpatine was very useful in aiding kill shots and dodges to his two friends but that 1 agility dice on the shuttle means his ability is pretty useless to keep himself alive.

On balance I think I'll go with the firespray variant above (firespray has two agility dice, same overall health as the shuttle, increased attack possibilities with that secondary arc, can actually turn and tactician gives me a chance to stress forward or backwards. When I weigh this all up against 1 extra crit or one extra evade a turn I don't think there's much of an argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wee bit of feedback incase anyone one was interested. List performed pretty well - came 10th out of 15 with a win, a 2 point modified win and two 100-0 losses (one of which was totally my own fault for splitting my squad in deployment - and the other was one hull point away from being 100-40).

Vader is a beast. He held his own against an opposition Fel as well as causing regular damage.

Fel was a top target and died fairly quickly. He did cause lots of damage though - and it really does help if the opponent has initiative!

The bounty hunter is s solid ship. Good hull and shields, good damage, front and rear arc, and though the best opponents made sure they weren't at range 2 very often the ability to give stress was very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls