Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two variants to Dragonwood have been discussed by me and others in different places on this site, so I thought I would put them here for convenience. These are in addition to the variants already included in the rules (and can be combined in different ways to add variety to the gameplay).

Advanced Variant: At the beginning of the game, place two Adventurer cards face-up next to the Adventurer deck. On a player’s turn, if they choose to reload, they may choose to take either one of the face-up cards or draw from the face-down Adventurer deck. If a player takes a face-up card, replace it with a new card from the Adventurer deck. If a Lucky Ladybug appears face up, discard it and put another card out.

Friendly Variant: When attempting to capture with a one-time use Enhancement (Friendly Bunny, Charmed Potion, Lightning Bolt), if the player fails the attempt they may keep the Enhancement for later use. So one-time Enhancements are only discarded in a successful capture attempt.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren shared the Advanced Variant with us a few weeks ago and that's the only way we play now. It's amazing how much such a tiny tweak changes the feel of the game (for the better, in our opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These variants are great. Thanks! A hit with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio D
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant we are going to try...

When you try to capture, if you aren't able to do it and one of your adventurers is wounded and discarded, you may (but don't have to) fight again with the adventurers that remain.

Imagine you go to battle with 5 adventures/dice. You don't get the 15 points you need and now you have 4 adventurers left. You can (and most likely will) retreat, but you can also attack again with the 4 adventurers/dice that remain.

If you capture, you discard all adventurers like normal and take the creature, but if you lose again, yet another adventurer is wounded.

This is a high risk move, but you can quickly do the math to know if it's feasible to capture with 1 less adventurer/dice if you want to really press your luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emil1979 wrote:
Here's a variant we are going to try...

When you try to capture, if you aren't able to do it and one of your adventurers is wounded and discarded, you may (but don't have to) fight again with the adventurers that remain.

Imagine you go to battle with 5 adventures/dice. You don't get the 15 points you need and now you have 4 adventurers left. You can (and most likely will) retreat, but you can also attack again with the 4 adventurers/dice that remain.

If you capture, you discard all adventurers like normal and take the creature, but if you lose again, yet another adventurer is wounded.

This is a high risk move, but you can quickly do the math to know if it's feasible to capture with 1 less adventurer/dice if you want to really press your luck.

Interesting idea. But note that if you fail a capture attempt, you can discard ANY card, so it doesn't have to be one of the cards you used for the attack (assuming you have any extra). So playing this variant would actually mean two variations on the main rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hipkiss
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kisgen wrote:
Two variants to Dragonwood have been discussed by me and others in different places on this site, so I thought I would put them here for convenience. These are in addition to the variants already included in the rules (and can be combined in different ways to add variety to the gameplay).

Advanced Variant: At the beginning of the game, place two Adventurer cards face-up next to the Adventurer deck. On a player’s turn, if they choose to reload, they may choose to take either one of the face-up cards or draw from the face-down Adventurer deck. If a player takes a face-up card, replace it with a new card from the Adventurer deck. If a Lucky Ladybug appears face up, discard it and put another card out.

Friendly Variant: When attempting to capture with a one-time use Enhancement (Friendly Bunny, Charmed Potion, Lightning Bolt), if the player fails the attempt they may keep the Enhancement for later use. So one-time Enhancements are only discarded in a successful capture attempt.

Have fun!

My kids (aged 4 and 8) and I enjoy the game and we now play with both these variants. The "advanced variant" really improves the game, I think, and doesn't seem to make it more complicated for the kids. We also play using "dragon spell". Thanks for a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Have not played this variant yet I feel it would add more balance to the games permanent enchantments.

Rule 1: When captured a permanent enchantment is set in front of its owner face up and energized. All enchantment cards cannot be used unless face up (energized).

Rule 2: When using permanent enchantments to capture creatures: the permanent enchantment cards just used are flipped face down after the attempt regardless of the results. This shows their magic is exhausted.

Rule 3: At the beginning of your turn you my now do one of three things Capture, Reload or "Energize" one permanent you possess that is face down. To Energize a "permanent enchantment card" flip the card face up, making it available for future captures.

One shots are not affected.

I enjoy the game but I had a situation where one player had so many enchantments (Cloak, Unicorn, Spinach) they stomped the game. It happened once but it sucked so I came up with this variant. Hope to play it soon.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHass wrote:
Have not played this variant yet I feel it would add more balance to the games permanent enchantments.

Rule 1: When captured a permanent enchantment is set in front of its owner face up and energized. All enchantment cards cannot be used unless face up (energized).

Rule 2: When using permanent enchantments to capture creatures: the permanent enchantment cards just used are flipped face down after the attempt regardless of the results. This shows their magic is exhausted.

Rule 3: At the beginning of your turn you my now do one of three things Capture, Reload or "Energize" one permanent you possess that is face down. To Energize a "permanent enchantment card" flip the card face up, making it available for future captures.

I enjoy the game but I had a situation where one player had so many enchantments (Cloak, Unicorn, Spinach) they stomped the game. It happened once but it sucked so I came up with this variant. Hope to play it soon.

Michael

I have a several thoughts on this.

First, make sure you are playing by the rule that Enhancements can’t be used to capture other Enhancements. That is a commonly overlooked rule that can lead to someone ending up with several Enhancements, like you describe.

Second, it should be pretty hard for someone to get those 3 Enhancements without someone being able to stop them. As an example, if someone gets the Cloak, they will have typically used 4-5 cards, so they should be somewhat depleted. If I see that someone has gotten the Cloak and the Unicorn appears, I will likely try to get that for myself, and usually whomever got the Cloak won’t have the cards for the Unicorn. If they do, then maybe I still grab the Lucky Mushroom and the Spinach, and I am right there with them.

Third, in the hundreds of games I have played, often the person who wins does not have the most Enhancements. Of course, sometimes they do as well. But there is a risk to going for a bunch of Enhancements if everyone else is just collecting creatures and pushing the game to an end.

Finally, if you still think this is an issue, I would suggest a different variant than the one you propose (yours I think would weaken the Enhancements by too much). Instead, I would suggest that you just limit each player to 2 permanent Enhancements. This I think would be an easier variant that keeps the balance in order. Another idea is simply to exclude the Cloak of Darkness (the most powerful Enhancement), especially in a 2-player game.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always Winter
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
kisgen wrote:
LordHass wrote:

Michael

I have a several thoughts on this.

First, make sure you are playing by the rule that Enhancements can’t be used to capture other Enhancements. That is a commonly overlooked rule that can lead to someone ending up with several Enhancements, like you describe.

Second, it should be pretty hard for someone to get those 3 Enhancements without someone being able to stop them. As an example, if someone gets the Cloak, they will have typically used 4-5 cards, so they should be somewhat depleted. If I see that someone has gotten the Cloak and the Unicorn appears, I will likely try to get that for myself, and usually whomever got the Cloak won’t have the cards for the Unicorn. If they do, then maybe I still grab the Lucky Mushroom and the Spinach, and I am right there with them.

Third, in the hundreds of games I have played, often the person who wins does not have the most Enhancements. Of course, sometimes they do as well. But there is a risk to going for a bunch of Enhancements if everyone else is just collecting creatures and pushing the game to an end.

Finally, if you still think this is an issue, I would suggest a different variant than the one you propose (yours I think would weaken the Enhancements by too much). Instead, I would suggest that you just limit each player to 2 permanent Enhancements. This I think would be an easier variant that keeps the balance in order. Another idea is simply to exclude the Cloak of Darkness (the most powerful Enhancement), especially in a 2-player game.

Hope this helps!

Love the add there. I know I am probably rezzing a dead thread but I'll risk it. My wife and I just got this game and so far have had fun, but in the spirit of this thread... We changed some stuff up. We call it "Clear the Wilderness". Remove 12 Adventures cards (2 player rule) and add in the dragons. The 5 green cards are laid out but are face down. The Adventurer deck remains face down but the Adventurer cards held in the hand are all laid face up. If an attack can be made, regardless of scream, stomp or strike, it must be made. If not, reload. You choose blindly which card to attack. If you beat the monster you win the card as normal. If not, that monster remains face up.

The monster field changes at the end of the last players turn. Card #5 is recycled... The remaining 4 move up a position, and a new #1 position is drawn from the green deck. Once you cycle through the green deck, reshuffle and happy hunting. Hopefully you are better off for those encounters the second go.

All other rules regarding play remain the same.

Now... the other side sees your cards so you cannot bluff or reload your way to a juicy hand. It seems like this way would be a detriment in that you flip a nasty orge and you can't defeat it... And for all but the luckiest of rolls you cannot. But with the injection of the purple cards the odds stack up better. What's really funny is that the cards you would normally pass over 1s and 2s become so much more important. LOL.

If the players can successfully clear out all the monsters(not power and event cards) before two complete cycles of the Adventurers deck are made... The one with the most points wins. Now... It's highly likely that the one who has the dragons will win... Until you assign point values to the purple power cards. We make them worth 5 points each.

If the monster deck still contains monsters, add up the total remaining monster values, then compare one adventurers capture value (plus the held power cards 5 pts each)vs the remaining monster value (including remaining power cards @ 5 pts each)... Then the other adventurers capture value (+ pwr cards 5pts ea) to the remaining monsters value. Although the wilderness wasn't cleared... One adventurer may have outscored the other and the remainings. He or she wins. If the monsters win... Well the king fires you both and... We'll see you in the bread lines. That's adventuring for you. Like life... There are no guarantees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls