Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

I could not find any answer to this in the FAQ nor in the forum here.

Akachi Onyele's Secret Rites ability reads:
Quote:
Akachi gains a +1 bonus to all skill checks to close or seal a gate. In addition, Ackahi may always seal gates, regardless of other game effects.

Just to make this clear: Can Akachi seal a gate even when she closes a gate due to an encounter? Because the FAQ says, that a gate can not be closed after an encounter says "close the gate" and I am rather unsure which other game effects are meant in the ability.

Additionally, Akachi Onyele together with Patrice Hathaway seem like a big boost for the investigators, right?

Some additional off topic questions after my first play since years:
1. The Arkham Movement phase comes before the encounter. So I can move into a location with a gate and a monster and then attack the monster. Afterwards I am sucked into the gate and get an Other World encounter the same turn, right because the Arkham Encounter phase (stumbling into the gate) is first, then I get the Other World Encounter?

2. When a encounter says a gate and a monster appears but the location is sealed... The gate does not appear, does the monster appear?

Thanks for your answers!

Edit for Moderators: I just realized that although the investigator is from the expansions this thread might be of more help (and easier found) if moved to the Arkham Horror forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi's ability does not give her the ability to seal gates that normally cannot be sealed, such as those closed by encounters or tomes.

What is DOES do is let her ignore effects that prevent a (normally sealable) gate from being sealed; for instance, the "No One Can Help You Now" Mythos card.

Basically, if she has an Explored Token, she can seal.

1. Correct. Perform each phase in order, drawing an encounters for any investigator eligible, regardless of what has gone before.

2. Elder signs prevent monsters from appearing at their location by any means, with or without gates (although stalking monsters, those with purple borders, may rarely move onto one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Akashi's ability does not give her the ability to seal gates that normally cannot be sealed, such as those closed by encounters or tomes.

Ahhhhhh... too bad. This would have been really powerful. I played the base game without expansions today and it felt like many gates where closed in this way.

Quote:
2. Elder signs prevent monsters from appearing at their location by any means, with or without gates (although stalking monsters, those with purple borders, may rarely move onto one).

...and flying Monster in the one Innsmouth spot (Devil Reef) that allows Flying Monsters to land in an actual location instead of a Street Area.

Thanks for the fast answer! And have some GG arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bravo Whisky
Scotland
Fochabers
flag msg tools
Muad Dib wrote:
Just to make this clear: Can Akachi seal a gate even when she closes a gate due to an encounter? Because the FAQ says, that a gate can not be closed after an encounter says "close the gate" and I am rather unsure which other game effects are meant in the ability.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but other game effects could be those such as the mystical environment special ability on the Mythos card 'No One Can Help You Now' which says "Gates cannot be sealed, although they can still be closed." Akachi ignores this and can seal the gates as usual.

Muad Dib wrote:
1. The Arkham Movement phase comes before the encounter. So I can move into a location with a gate and a monster and then attack the monster. Afterwards I am sucked into the gate and get an Other World encounter the same turn, right because the Arkham Encounter phase (stumbling into the gate) is first, then I get the Other World Encounter?

That's correct: You kill (or evade) the monster in the Arkham movement phase, dive into the gate in the Arkham encounters phase, and have the first Other World encounter.

Muad Dib wrote:
2. When a encounter says a gate and a monster appears but the location is sealed... The gate does not appear, does the monster appear?

Quoting from the rulebook here:
Page 9, Phase V: Mythos, 1A.
Location Has Elder Sign
If an elder sign token has been placed at the location, nothing happens. No gate opens and no monster appears. The elder sign has permanently sealed the gate at this location, and no new gates can open here.

And on Page 8, Phase III: Arkham Encounters, 1. No Gate
...Monsters and gates cannot appear in sealed locations, even if this is directed by the text of a card.

I hope that is useful.

Edit: Looks like my maximum speed is too low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.