Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I played neither, however I already own Peloponnes and have once read its rules. I have also just read the rules to the hereby card version and they seem to be very similar.
Are there any significant differences between those two games? Or is it mainly tiles changing to cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game doesn't have much more than the same mechanisms than the orignal, but it has that and more choices that don't show up in the original. The card game looks like it might do better in my group where the orignal was too much of a game for the group. Having it mainly cards, it might actual feel like a lighter game, but not actual be that light. Have to be sneaky to get people to enjoy a good game they refuse to try due to depth and ratings. This might be the ticket for Peloponnes for my group devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the original a lot, and have read the card game rules. The actual physical switch from "tiles" to "cards" isn't all that significant, but there are other changes (some related to having card do more than just what the tiles used to do).

For me, the biggest change is probably that the card game eliminates the need to track goods with discs on a player mat (which has the side effect of reducing the component count). Income and luxury goods have also been changed, such that they are recognizable but quite different.

Disasters are triggered a bit differently, and in some cases it is possible to lose a building/land to a disaster but still have it score at the end of the game. A couple other rules have been streamlined.

From memory, those are the main differences. The auctions look pretty much the same, and the actual effects of the buildings and lands look very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are asking if you have one, do you need the other. I would say keep the original - it also has a lot of expansions available, whereas the card game does not have that currently - and doing so, has a higher player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
The card game looks like it might do better in my group where the orignal was too much of a game for the group.

I'm kind of curious as to what you mean by "too much of a game." The flaw I find with Peloponees is that, despite having seven phases, you only ever make two decisions: what to bid on, when to spend lux goods. Everything else that happens is scripted. I can see where understanding how a particular tile is going to affect how that script plays out might be more "thinky" than what casual gamers typically want out of a game. But there's really more execution of instructions than game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looked harder than it really is. I did have all expansions, but the players couldn't gauge the bid war bids quickly, but wouldn't give another chance to try any better on the bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I have played the original a lot, and have read the card game rules. The actual physical switch from "tiles" to "cards" isn't all that significant, but there are other changes (some related to having card do more than just what the tiles used to do).

I'm in the same position you're in, and I suspect the switch from cash to cards will be highly significant and introduce some very interesting decisions about what cards to spend when, and on what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what people mean with "too much" is that there is so much information on the cards/tiles, it is a challenge to know what each is worth in the bidding phase.

I've playtested the card game and prefer this more streamlined version. But there is still a lot of information on the cards, and the bidding is still challenging! Knowing how much to bid will still give experienced players an advantage.

I like very much that the card game takes out the fiddliness of having to adjust those different tracks every time I take a new tile. And I really like the new rules for the disasters--that not all of them will take place in the game adds a great risk/reward element that's much more realistic (rather than knowing that all disasters will happen eventually).

There is a little bit of "luck of the draw", as the money cards are also resources, and you do not know what you will get. Because of this, you try to get a good income so that you can draw enough cards to beat the odds and get what you need. But you can usually use the cards you draw, regardless. That some of the resources are Inhabitants--which can count for endgame scoring--also adds the tension of wanting to save them but possibly needing them to bid on a building or land card.

This game and PAX are my favorite games from Bernd and Irongames! I'll be happy to teach and play Peloponnes Card Game with anyone who wants to in Essen this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other changes (the first two were pointed out in Rules forum threads, or else I might have overlooked them):

1. Land tiles no longer have to match symbols. In theory, I'm a bit sad to lose this constraint, but hopefully I won't actually miss it.

2. If you bid, and then lose out and don't get a tile, you get the same 3 coins that you would have gotten by not bidding at all. Again, I'm a bit sad that the card game is more forgiving, but I doubt I will mind the new rule.

3. No official solo mode (yet?). The game is similar enough to its older sibling that a solo mode should be possible. I'm sure there will be a fan-created solo variant, if not an official one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kevin!

About solo: I didn't have the time to test the game solo and I didn't want to have 2 more sides of rules in every language.
Maybe I can think about that and spread the rules, if they are ready.

greetings
Bernd

www.irongames.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo set of rules would work really well with card format ...just got game today ...looks great reading rules ATM ...

I know it is lacking the excellent expansions of original game but it's early days yet ...and knowing Iron Crown i have a sneaky suspicion that there maybe an expansion in the future...fingers crossed lol...

Happy gaming

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play the card game tonight, and it was great. As a learning game, I just played solo, with no conquest row. As expected, it worked fine.

Overall, while the card game absolutely preserves the spirit of the original game, it has a different feel.

I already gave away my original Peloponnes with expansions as soon as I heard about the card game, and I have no regrets. But for those of you wondering which to get, or whether to get one if you already have the other, here are my thoughts:

Player count: For now, the card game is limited to 2-5. I hope/assume that an official solo variant will come, and I suspect expansions will increase the player count at some point. Until then, if you need to play with 6+, the big game is your only choice.

Expansions: Personally, I was never a big fan of any of the new features of the expansions; I just wanted them for the player count. If you like the Peloponnes expansions, you should probably stick with that for now, over the card game.

Fiddly-ness: The card game wins big here. Moving those disks around in the original game was the thing I liked least. The new system is silky smooth, once you get your head around it.

Decisions: I never felt like the original lacked decisions, but the card game adds a few more, which is nice. Choosing which cards to spend as payment was interesting at times, and there were times where I had to choose between buying some land I wanted, or buying a less-desirable building just to get luxury goods.

Disasters: I haven't decided yet. In the base game, they all happen every game, whereas in the card game, some might not, so the card game is a bit more random. In the card game, there are 2 ways to avoid disasters, including 1 that can "undo" a disaster that hit you earlier in the game. I don't yet know if the disasters are harsher or more forgiving in the card game.

Punishing: Based on just one solo play, it seems like the card game might possibly be a bit less punishing overall. Not having to match land tiles feels more relaxed, as does the ability to withdraw your bid and still get paid. But some of the disasters (like earthquake and tempest) seem harsher in the card game. Overall, I'm not yet sure which is more punishing. (Personally, I like punishing games.)

Cost: If you're not sure whether or not you'll like either game, the card game has a lower price point.

Box size: The compact box of the card game is a very clear winner for me. It's a perfect size to take to game nights, or when traveling. I suspect I might prefer the gameplay of the card game overall, but even if I were to prefer the original gameplay, the card game box size wins me over.

I'll wrap up by saying the card game has met or exceeded my expectations. It has a tentative 9 rating from me (same as the original).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kevin!
Have a nice X-Mas...

greetings
Bernd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mann Clay
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bloodeisen wrote:
Hello Kevin!

About solo: I didn't have the time to test the game solo and I didn't want to have 2 more sides of rules in every language.
Maybe I can think about that and spread the rules, if they are ready.

greetings
Bernd

www.irongames.de

Hello Mr. Eisenstein

I just purchased a copy of this card game and looking to try it out soon. I usually play with one other player and sometimes 3-4 players but i love playing solo variants of multiplayer games...Caylus, Keyflower, Puerto Rico, San Juan...etc. So, i'm looking forward to any input from you about solo rules/variant...any! and hope to read them soon. Anyways, thanks for creating a card version of Peloponnes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
The solovariant is almost ready, but I need to write the rules clearly and translate them into english and maybe french.
Will post them here and on the Irongames Homepage.

Greetings
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mann Clay
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irongames wrote:
Hello!
The solovariant is almost ready, but I need to write the rules clearly and translate them into english and maybe french.
Will post them here and on the Irongames Homepage.

Greetings
Bernd

Bernd -

Thanks for the update! I'm excited on what you'll do for a solo variant. Either way it's a blast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.