Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the upcoming One Night Ultimate Vampire is designed to be used with ONUW in various combinations, using the Vampires and Marks will change the game from the original. The player(s) I tend to play with are mostly non-gamers and family members, so I tend to want to stay with the basics. Recently, I have started playing with Daybreak roles, and they were a lot of fun.

Looking at the new roles in ONUV, most will require you to use the new rules for Marks and the dusk phase. However, there are a few roles, mainly in the stretch goals, that look like they would work nicely in "standard" ONUW play.

Copycat
At first I didn't see this as anything great, but the more I think about it, this player get to effectively be a Apprentice Seer to start AND whatever role afterward. They get to see a card in the middle, and often get some other action or knowledge as well. It could work well in conjunction with the Witch and/or Apprentice Seer in play, as it allows multiple claims that are similar by seeing a middle card. Also, it gives some flavor of the Doppelgänger without the confusing rules that sometimes go along with that role.

Beholder
Effectively this is a combination between the insomniac and a half-Mason, or even like a Villager version of the Minion. This probably wouldn't work well at lower player counts, but could be nice at larger ones. Maybe a roleset that includes Wolf + Minion, Seer + Beholder, and Tanner + Apprentice Tanner could be fun.

Thing (that goes bump in the night)
This is an interesting one, somewhat a half-Mason, except you run the risk of unknowingly outing yourself to a Wolf.

Apprentice Tanner
This could be great for larger player counts as well. The Tanner is great, but sometimes it is hard to convince the group on your own.

Anyone else have thoughts on these new roles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Seems to me that simply adding the assassin (and its mark) would make the ONUW game a lot more interesting...

Personally I get the feeling that all the ONUV roles make the game a lot more confusing and only experienced ONUW players would appreciate the additional layers of complexity. But I agree, there are a few that make great additions on their own.

I've never had difficulty getting lynched as the Tanner.. but then again, I'm not a very honest player so people tend to suspect me. However, the apprentice tanner would be a nice addition in large groups, but runs the risk that if switched will give away tanners position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what makes ONUW so much fun is the simple roles that players who don't play it often or are new, can easily understand and get into the game.

Our family is fairly new to ONUW and watching and reading about the expansions, it feels like the base game is heading into a direction that only experienced players enjoy, others that don't play often or are new, will find it off setting.

The need to explain and understand individual roles and abilities grow larger and larger, making game play more confusing, for me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The Assassin is definitely the best role to include in base, but I would also say that Gremlin even without marks is insanely powerful, like a buffed Troublemaker.

Obviously both require marks to be in play, even if no Vamps are.

The Thing is a fun role and is a plus for Team Good unless you're at 3 or 4p, then could be a liability.

Copycat effectively eliminates one of the middle cards in the game (sort of). It's a subtle role whose effects are hard to understand until you play with it some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I would also say that Gremlin even without marks is insanely powerful, like a buffed Troublemaker

Hmm.. perhaps i'm missing something.. I thought the gremlin was exactly the same as the troublemaker, except it can switch marks instead of roles if you so choose. So without marks it is just a troublemaker.. no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
Upon initially reading the roles, the one I wanted to try out the most in a regular ONUW game was Cupid. Seems to me that it adds a completely new layer to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tawn wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
I would also say that Gremlin even without marks is insanely powerful, like a buffed Troublemaker

Hmm.. perhaps i'm missing something.. I thought the gremlin was exactly the same as the troublemaker, except it can switch marks instead of roles if you so choose. So without marks it is just a troublemaker.. no?

Isn't the Gremlin also allowed to switch his/her own card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Tawn wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Isn't the Gremlin also allowed to switch his/her own card?

Yes, that is what I have learnt since this query. Not sure this qualifies as 'insanely powerful'.. but maybe I need to give it some thought..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.