Subject: Confused about which Regions the Sandstorm affects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
The rules indicate that "the Sandstorm is considered to affect all Regions connected to the number it rests on." In reading this I am not sure of this means the darkened circle of the number itself on the game board or the meridians connecting the number to the Polar Sink.

The example given in the rules seems strongly to indicate that it is just the number-circle itself as the example has a Sandstorm on Area 5 "affecting only the Region Arrakeen." If Meridians came into it, Cathag would be included. However, as the example continues and the Sandstom moves to Area 4, the Sandstorm "now affects both the Regions Carthag and Broken Land."

Broken Land fits because the number-circle 4 sits right on it. However, Carthag does not at all (confirmed in the picture of the map on the first page of the rules). There is a small darkened splotch overlapping Carthag and 4, but that continues also through Areas 3 and 6 with a small exclave of the splotch on 5, too.

Could someone who has figured this out offer a list of which Regions are affected by each Sandstorm number - and an explanation for the rationale? I am stumped.

[Beautiful production on my copy, too; what a lovely game.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'darkened splotches' you refer to are artistic only - they form the shape of dune's canonical mountain ranges. The longitudinal lines also have no bearing - they just remind us that the map is a polar projection.

What matters is the numbers on the sandstorm track (1-6, big circular spots around the board with east/west arrows), and the numbers (smaller, white or blue circle) next to the title of each region (some of which are duplicated).

1 - cielago plain
2 - habannaya sietch
2 - great flat
3 - sietch tabr
4 - carthag
4 - broken land
5 - arrakeen
6 - minor erg
6 - tuek's sietch
no number - polar sink

Whatever number the storm is at on the storm track, all regions with that number next to their title are affected by the storm. This will be one region if the storm is on an odd number, two regions if the storm is on an even number, and never the polar sink.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: added minor erg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
OH...it's so clear now that you have explained it. Darnit, I hate it when I am so thick.

I guess what threw me was the the numbers on the regions serve a different purpose with Movement and I was just glossing over the fact they aligned to the Areas as well!

Thanks so much, Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help.