6 Posts

Coup» Forums » Variants

Subject: Since Coup is based on g54, here are my g54 based promos. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
New to coup and all. I guess the speculator, the jester, and the bureaucrat are all coupified g54 cards (much like how the whole game is just a micro g54) so I figured I'd create some promos myself.

1: King Pin: (replaces assassin, is considered an assassin)Pay 3 to have a player lose influence at the end of their next turn. Give an assassin 2 coins to block their assassination, the assassin keeps their coins.(so they get a refund on their kill attempt AND your coin)

2: Diplomat: (replaces contessa). You may exchange 1 card with the court deck, you may pay 1 coin to exchange another. Pay 1 coin to block assassination.

3: Commander: (replaces captain). Steal 1 coin from every player. Blocks stealing.

4: General: (replaces assassin, is considered an assassin). Pay 5 to have every player lose influence.

5: Master Mind: (replaces 1 contessa). Blocks assassin. Blocks stealing. Your foreign aid cannot be blocked. (the power play here is that there is ONLY 1 in the game)

6: Special Ops: (replaces Duke). Gain 1 coin and take another action this turn (can only do twice in a row if you have 2 S.ops). Blocks foreign aid. (a more interesting Duke essentially).

I avoided posting what the assumed promo roles are. (double your money, do the seeing and trading aspect inquisitor + blocking foreign aid and stealing, and the gain 4 + anyone else who claims to have this card gets 1 coin from you).

I feel like my promos are balanced and dynamic. Since only 2 of the next 5 promos have been revealed, I can only imagine some of these will become canon soon. What's bgg's thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like for most of these you're simply copying roles in G54.

1. Basically a cheaper Organized Crime.
2. Added Telegraph Network onto Contessa
3. Church
4. Army
5. Since there's only 1 in the deck bluffing is kind of silly, which really hurts the game.
6. CIA

Anyways, there is a good reason why you can't copy roles willy-nilly from G54 into Coup. This is because in G54 each role is the only card that can block itself, while in Coup the Contessa blocks the Assassin and the Ambassador blocks the Captain.

Since you said you're new to Coup and all, I suggest you keep playing the base game as-is, without worrying about expansions. There's a surprising amount of depth for a 15-card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And the assassins are guerrillas, the Dukes are bankers, the speculator is literally the speculators, the bureaucrat is most likely the ufc, the ambassador is a radio station, the jester is most likely foreign media, the inquisitor is somewhere between foreign media and newspapers, and the captain is the politician.

I'm not sure if you only read 2/3's of my post and ignored the title, but the basis of my promo roles is that all the coup promo roles (and all of coups' roles really) are just alternate g54 cross overs. My cards also have blocking actions too ya know, but I can see how some would be less interesting or fun in coup (looking at the "church" and "army") but can you see how much of a splash 1, 2, 5, and 6 could make?

The 1 card for #5 is to give more edge to using/bluffing it and to bring 1 role (in this case contessa) down to a 2. I figure that idea could be interesting. #5 is copying United Nations btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. I'm pretty sure Coup came first, then g54. Also, do you know that indie boards and cards is publishing g54 in the next month or two? Actually it was for sale at gencon, but won't be in stores for another month.

If you know that, then what is this list? Really I think people should either play Coup with the basic 5 roles or play g54. Both are great games, but what makes Coup great is the tightness of the roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
Honestly, I initially saw the art of Gautamala 1954 and figured coup 2.0 was just a re-theme of an older game. The more you know.

Anyways, now I've taken a closer look at g54, and like you said it's a less tight coup. Following the theme of the Inquisitor, Speculator, Jester, and Bureaucrat promos, as long as you swap out the related card archetype (a card that protects, a card that kills, an income booster, a thief, and a card swapper) it's basically fair game. With this it becomes a tighter and harder to balance g54.

You can literally just swap out ANY communications card with the Ambassador and slap "Blocks Stealing" on it and BAM. I'm pretty sure the "Jester" promo they have coming out only includes blocking foreign aid AND stealing because the Speculator (Duke swap promo for coup) does not. For balancing, you nearly always need 2 steal blockers because of the assumed unbalance it'd give the assassins if you didn't so the communications having that is a constant.

I mean, you really could just play g54 and select a card from the communications, finance, force, then take a special interests card that steals, and then a non-stealing special interest and BAM you have a watered down coup. But I don't want to play g54 like that. I think it'd be far more interesting to manipulate select g54 cards into coup like in my OP. I mean, there are 3 un-revealed promos for coup coming out yet. How much do you want to bet that they're going to be any force, a priest, and a missionary/peace keeper? Is the fact that they're doing this making coup any less tight or interesting? I don't think so, and that's why I started this thread with my day dreaming/coupsmithing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:
Honestly, I initially saw the art of Gautamala 1954 and figured coup 2.0 was just a re-theme of an older game. The more you know.

Oh, so that's why you replied to me that way. I wrongly assumed you knew that G54 was the followup to Coup. I read the title as "Since some coup promos are based on G54, here are my additional G54 based promos."

Sure, Coup is more mechanically "tight" than G54 because some cards counter each other rather than only themselves. But all switching roles for promos does is shift the perceived value of the roles. I should also note that the roles shift in value as the game progresses, as well as when your group's metagame evolves.

If you want more variety in your Coup games, then there are multiple ways to introduce that. Yes, one way is to swap roles for the roles in G54, via promos or self-printed cards. Another way is to add the Reformation expansion that adds factions. Finally, you could just play G54 and take advantage of the huge number of different possible roles.

If you're (as you say) new to the game, why do you want to make a splash with fancy new roles? Why not play more with the base roles? Do you think your group has solved the strategy already? There are many ways to play to take advantage of whatever current metagame your group has. And once everyone learns the rules, games tend to take <10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.