Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Looks like my Netflix account got hacked, has this ever happened to anyone else?

We found out about it when we got an email that our password had been changed, and then that the email address had been updated. Calling Netflix, they reset the account, and we changed the password. Looking at recently watched, we can see others have been accessing the account for a while, watching things. Recent access includes Mexico and the UK (we're in North Carolina in the US).

What we're not sure is whether they access Netflix's server somehow, or whether our actual account and password has been compromised and sold on the black market.

We called Netflix up with the IP addresses in Mexico and the UK, other than getting us back up and running, they don't seem terribly concerned and didn't ask us for the IP addresses.

How common is this type of Netflix account hack?
Any ideas where to report the hack itself, and maybe who to give the IP addresses to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use that password for anything else online you need to change it right now. Pretty much consider your e-mail address and that password is now in the hands of multiple people who will go around trying to see what else you might be using it for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm asking this as a serious question because I really don't know, I'm not being at all snotty or mocking, but what happens when someone hacks into a NetFlix account?

Do they just get to piggyback on you and watch movies free of charge, or can they do things that cost you extra money? Could they do anything like ordering DVDs that are billed to you but sent somewhere else?

I've never even seen a NetFlix movie, so I'm curious because I have no idea how things work there.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Gambiteer wrote:

I'm asking this as a serious question because I really don't know, I'm not being at all snotty or mocking, but what happens when someone hacks into a NetFlix account?

Do they just get to piggyback on you and watch movies free of charge, or can they do things that cost you extra money? Could they do anything like ordering DVDs that are billed to you but sent somewhere else?

I've never even seen a NetFlix movie, so I'm curious because I have no idea how things work there.

meeple

They upgraded the plan (which does cost extra money) to 4-screens. Probably so we wouldn't notice at first, so they could watch while we were watching. Then, essentially watching everything free of charge.

What is more worrying is if they know the email/password combo, they might be able to do it on other sites that would cause more damage (like bank sites). As the other post suggested, we've changed all that.

I really wonder if they hacked the netflix servers or something... it was not at all an easy "guessable" password, so I have no idea how they were able to get it, but, they were able to change the password on the netflix account which must mean they answered the password prompt.

From doing a little research, it seems this kind of hack is not uncommon for Netflix, and people can buy Netflix logons for like $2.

Netflix also seemed almost powerless to do anything. WHILE we were on the phone with them, after resetting our password twice, we saw yet again someone log into our account from Mexico and start watching something (we could tell by checking "recent activity"). Even though we had initiated the "log out all devices" action, Netflix said it might not take effect for up to 8 hours. They didn't really seem interested in the IP addresses of the other people who had been logging in, either (we could see that also, on Recent Activity). They said we could use the IP addresses ourselves if we wanted to pursue a criminal case, but they didn't seem to really care about pursuing anything on their end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not heard of this but research shows it happens alot!

Speaking f Netflix, has anyone got ny recomendations. I have not found anything good to watch in ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardsandBoardgames wrote:
I had not heard of this but research shows it happens alot!

Speaking f Netflix, has anyone got ny recomendations. I have not found anything good to watch in ages!

"Hector and the serch for happiness"....loved this movie!
"The art of the Steal" was another one that took me by suprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakermouse wrote:
BeardsandBoardgames wrote:

"Hector and the serch for happiness"....loved this movie!

Dreadful. There is not one iota of funny in this movie. Stay away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I really wonder if they hacked the netflix servers or something...
I just found a rather interesting little essay from a fellow who has had the same problem, and who seems to be knowledgeable and level-headed:

Something at Netflix is Seriously Broken

His experience with both the hack and with Netflix sound remarkably similar to yours, complete to the ho-hum attitude from Netflix, and the same is reflected in some of the comments.

I also see loads of articles about the number of Netflix accounts that are hacked, and the profit in selling Netflix logins -- this appears to be a rather widespread problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, looking around online a bit, seems it's relatively common. Netflix needs to get their security act together.

And it's more than just people watching movies "on us".
If they can access our supposedly encrypted (and hard-to-guess, to boot) password, can they also access our credit card info (which Netlix also has, supposedly encrypted)?
Our customer information that Netflix has could be used against us for identity theft/fraud.

We changed the password and changed the email associated with the account, so far, no strange log-ins from other countries.

But, if it ever happens again, we will cancel our Netflix account and tell them we'll sign up again once they implement 2-factor authentication (which sends a text to your phone on any new device). Plenty of alternatives to Netflix out there, especially with things like HBO NOW. 2-factor authentication is something Netflix really needs to have at this point, it's embarrassing that they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls