Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Both expansion come with more cubes, what is the point? Is it because there are more spaces to put them out on the board or for the 5th player? How come there aren't any more black plague cubes?

I happen to have a complete second set of cubes from the base game could i just double all of them including the plague cubes or would this create an imbalance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some players find that coloured cubes occasionally run out if a player is hoarding them. Extra cubes helps alleviate this I guess. Black cubes can't be hoarded in this way so are recycled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra colored cubes are there because with the 5th player and the new action spaces you would run out of cubes in the reserve.

You can add all the colored cubes you want from another copy, but not the plague ones, unless you want a much shorter and cruel game.

That's because you only put a set amount of cubes into the green bag each round depending on the number of players, and the unused ones form a reserve to draw from in case you get extra cubes from an action. Having more colored cubes in the reserve does not affect the game balance in any important way (it only mattered before if there were cube hoarders among the players, but hoarding cubes in this game doesn't give you any extra points).

But you are supposed to put ALL the visible plague cubes in the bag when seeding at the start of each round, and there are exactly 6 of them. At any time you seed, the bag contains 20 to 30-ish colored cubes and 6 black ones, for a color/black proportion that goes from 3 to 1 to around 5 to 1 depending on the number of players.

Bumping the black cube count to 12 would make that proportion almost 2 to 1 or even less with less players, meaning that you'd frequently get rounds where half or more of the total cubes on the board are plague ones!

That would certainly make for a very different game, because people would die a lot faster, you'll get much less resources to craft/travel/advance with, and you'd get more frequently to a point where you HAVE to take a plague cube from any space despite not having enough resources to carry any of the aviable actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
(it only mattered before if there were cube hoarders among the players, but hoarding cubes in this game doesn't give you any extra points).
It does if you meet the right people at the Inn, although only to a certain degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how to get extra plague cubes, like what size they are and where they can be ordered from? I am missing one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls