Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do the mercruiser cards just get placed into the trade deck? Or are they like explorers?

Also, How many of the gambit cards are usually dealt out when playing? The rise to power card that just gives you +2 trade seems so weak compared to the one that gives you +8 authority, so I feel you would want to deal out more than 1 gambit card in case someone gets stuck with the rise to power card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Placzek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Cruisers just get shuffled into the Trade Deck.
Aaand... Rise to power is a weak card? Really?
We usually deal out two cards to every person or we draft them (either deal 4, first person picks one, the second two and the first player gets the 4th, or, give each player 3 gambits, he keeps one, passes the other two and then chooses one of the cards he was given).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just +2 trade? seems weak to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially the most powerful of all the gambits. That and the draw 2 cards. Early access to the 6 to 8 cost cards is a huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Placzek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you have to realize is that it can be used (and usually is used) to boost up your trade in the situations where you need it the most, i.e. in races for a big card that wins the game (Brain World, Command Ship, Machine Base, Ark, Megahauler, you know them) and allows you to get it superearly. It's not hard getting 6 trade after your first shuffle and this gambit allows you turn that into a likely victory.
To give you a comparison - I'd always rather have Rise to power than any other Gambit. What decides the game is rarely raw hp/damage provided by the respective gambits, but more often that that gambits that allow you to draw more cards in order to give you the so much needed purchase power. Rise to power is even better than those, since it cannot draw into a viper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO any combo of the 2-trade, draw 2 and Smuggling shouldn't be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Just +2 trade? seems weak to me

Haha. If it ever turns up, I'll happily volunteer to trade gambits and take it off your hands...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your first few turns buying something for 4 or 5 is relatively easy, but everyone wants that first "6"-cost card that comes up, like the Battlecruiser or Command Ship or something. And it takes awhile before you can get there. You'll have to buy a few ships first.

A +2 gambit can potentially get it for you on the first couple of turns without needing to add anything else to your deck. If you're buying "6" cost ships while other players are buying the "4" and "5" cost ships... that's huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.