Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to make up some Token-less Fighter cards and a few Ferengi crew upgrades for my own use and figured you guys might enjoy using them as well.

For marking what "level" the fighters are at throw them in a standard gaming sleeve and use a dry erase marker on the little box below the Captain Skill number.

A Ferengi/Federation dual faction card.

The DS9 Quark and Conditional Surrender (I made it unique) since I don't own either using different art for both.

Bonus Defiant Pulse Phaser upgrade card, basically identical to Type 8 Phasers however you could combine both on the Defiant at the same time.

Enjoy! arrrh

**Update - Increased Nogs point cost to 3.**

**Update - Nerfed Nog a bit, guess he is done with Red Squad. **
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more Dual Faction Ferengi some may recognize.

**Edit** Image issue fixed. arrrh

**Updated Rom, now with slight draw back balancing him against Glinn Daro being 3 points with no draw back.**

I never noticed how crazy Roms teeth are, even when compared to other Ferengi, guy needs some serious dental work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the tokenless Fighter cards - have you tried moving the ship silhouette to the left and lining up the captain skill with the various stat columns?

Also - the extra card you posted is not showing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
Really like the tokenless Fighter cards - have you tried moving the ship silhouette to the left and lining up the captain skill with the various stat columns?

Also - the extra card you posted is not showing.

Thanks, also that is an awesome suggestion, I just updated them.

**Fixed the image issue with Rom as well.** arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks even better (to my eyes).

Going to be printing these out for use! Thank you for making them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great work on these - not only is it a smart, cardboard-saving concept, it has a lot of potential to make proxy fighters a lot more economical and easy to manage.

As always, I've added them to the STAW Custom Card Index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, one more for fun.

While I am aware that there is indeed an Acquisition talent this one works differently and ties into the 34th rule of Acquisition pretty well I think.

34th Rule of Acqusition: "War is good for business."

**Update -- Changed the "Range of Acquisition" to 1 per suggestion as this makes it more like the ship is Tractor Beaming something away kind of like the Ferengi did in Star Trek Armada 2 on the PC.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
Nice cards! However, I find them too cheap . Rom does the same as Glinn Daro who is already quite cheap with his 3 points.

I'd put Nog on 4 SP, since you get a free action AND an additional bonus, which is quite strong.

For 34th Rule of Acquisition I'd suggest either higher Costs (3SP) or reducing the range to 1 or to disable shields in order to get the upgrades. To be honest for only 1SP it should be both of the latter suggestions.
I think the card texts are really fitting and you did a good job, but with these low point values they seem a bit unfair, even though Ferengi are in need of some buffs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
SgtCortez4722 wrote:
Nice cards! However, I find them too cheap ... with these low point values they seem a bit unfair, even though Ferengi are in need of some buffs

100% agree. Love the cards, but without an absolute faction-pure environment, I'd have Nog in every fleet I create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtCortez4722 wrote:
Nice cards! However, I find them too cheap . Rom does the same as Glinn Daro who is already quite cheap with his 3 points.

I'd put Nog on 4 SP, since you get a free action AND an additional bonus, which is quite strong.

For 34th Rule of Acquisition I'd suggest either higher Costs (3SP) or reducing the range to 1 or to disable shields in order to get the upgrades. To be honest for only 1SP it should be both of the latter suggestions.

I think the card texts are really fitting and you did a good job, but with these low point values they seem a bit unfair, even though Ferengi are in need of some buffs

I intended Rom to be the "Lightning Bolt" to Glinn Daro's "Shock" (MTG) I think I'll simply add a small debuff effect if he does a repair to keep his points cost intact versus being a carbon copy of Glinn Daro.

I like the 34th Rule of Acquisition being a very cheap discard although I think tweaking the range to be 1 might be the key to balancing it -- good suggestion! The Shield disable seems a bit too risky... even for a Ferengi.

My intention with Nog was that he would be themed around the brief stint when he was aboard the Valiant. I think he is a bit cheap at 2 points after considering things so 3 sounds about right, 4 is a bit too high I feel since he is pretty ineffective against a cloaked ship as well as the simple fact that he was one of the secondary characters throughout entire DS9 series and the first Ferengi to go to Starfleet Academy.

CavLtBob wrote:
SgtCortez4722 wrote:
Nice cards! However, I find them too cheap ... with these low point values they seem a bit unfair, even though Ferengi are in need of some buffs

100% agree. Love the cards, but without an absolute faction-pure environment, I'd have Nog in every fleet I create.

Thanks, I'll do some tweaks.

Nog should be in every fleet you create!

**Updated Cards above per suggestions.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nog is still way under costed.
Looking at other cards with similar effects:
Crew Spock sets the precedent that adding a BS effect to another action without disabling is worth 5 points.
Boheeka and Breen Aid also set precedent that a situational blank conversion without disabling is worth 2 points.
Nog has both and does not disable, so he should be about 7 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
Nog is still way under costed.
Looking at other cards with similar effects:
Crew Spock sets the precedent that adding a BS effect to another action without disabling is worth 5 points.
Boheeka and Breen Aid also set precedent that a situational blank conversion without disabling is worth 2 points.
Nog has both and does not disable, so he should be about 7 points.

Good points regarding comparative cards, I've modified him above to be a fair bit more restrictive but still pretty decent I think.

**EDIT** Whipped this one up tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SP937215 wrote:
How do you make these custom cards please?

Is there a tool or website that lets players generate these types of cards? They look so professional!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122355/staw-card-design-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, your upgrade for pulse phasers is likely to combine with type 8 phasers and the new phaser upgrade from the blind booster.

You can't put a flagship on the Constitution class and type 8 phasers because the flagship increases the primary weapon value to 4 which keeps the type 8 phasers from working.

But if you don't use a flagship and there are a couple of different types of upgrades which add 1 attack dice passively, could you get 5 attack dice on the Constitution? Is that an outcome we want? I'm not saying it's bad, in fact I think it might be good, though I might worry if we can get ships to 7 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure - Type 8 Phasers + Upgraded Phasers. 5 attack dice, no disable or actions required. You might need something like Arsenal or Fleet Captain or something to add a slot if it's not the Intrepid or Defiant.

EDIT: And Dual Phaser Banks and Tac Station can boost, as can Refit Enterprise.

EDIT 2: better yet, take Picard (8) and use his bonus slot.

EDIT 3: Here's a sufficiently ludicrous Enterprise.

U.S.S. Enterprise [22]
- Independent (Romulan) Fleet Captain (Fleet Captain Resource) [5]
- - Make It So (U.S.S. Enterprise-E) [0]
- - Tactical Station (U.S.S. Stargazer) [1]
- - - Dual Phaser Banks (U.S.S. Intrepid) [0]
- - Upgraded Phasers (U.S.S. Lakota) [0]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) (Starter Set) [6]
- Hayes (Admiral) (U.S.S. Thunderchild) [3]
- Type 8 Phaser Array (U.S.S. Hood) [0]
- Montgomery Scott (U.S.S. Enterprise) [5]
- Malcolm Reed (Enterprise NX-01) [3]
- Lojur (U.S.S. Excelsior) [2]
- Sakonna (Gavroche) [3]
- - Photon Torpedoes (U.S.S. Reliant, U.S.S. Enterprise, U.S.S. Enterprise, U.S.S. Excelsior) [0]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Resource: Fleet Captain (Fleet Captain Resource) [0]

Fleet Total: 50 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://comatoes.github.io/staw-utopia/

Base 5, but 10 or so for at least 2 turns.

Scotty every round for +2.

Turn 1 also disable Tac Station +1 (saved by Lojur), disable Dual Phaser Banks +1, feed Dual Phaser Banks into the Reed Chipper for +2 (keep Reed going with Make It So) = 11 dice with TL or BS.

Turn 2 (in addition to Scotty) discard Tac Station +2, feed Torpedoes into the Reed Chipper for +2 = 11 dice with TL or BS.

After that it's just 7 dice with Scotty and a TL or BS or 5 dice with both. You can sub Spock in for Picard for a few extra points, and your backup squad should be firing Hayes off for you to give you an extra die or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls